By Violet Li

Lilian Naa Korkoi Tackie, a dedicated Ph.D. student in Emerging Media Studies, specializes in the critical areas of misinformation and disinformation, with a keen focus on employing A.I. and machine learning for effective fact-checking. Recently, she sat down with Alyssa Hance, a Research Assistant from the Communication Research Center, to discuss her journey into the depths of digital truth and falsehoods. In their conversation, Naa discusses her career motivations for joining the Ph.D. program, her experiences studying abroad, and her future career plans.

Alyssa: “Can you share what you were doing before joining BU’s Ph.D. program? ”

Naa: I was doing a lot of things. So my main job was copy editing, copywriting. I loved what I was doing as a freelancer. I also have a website, which is naatheproofer.com; I get people soliciting for my services. I have a lot of referrals. And that was basically my day job. But it was so unconventional, because I work a lot. I work more effectively at night. Or, rather, in the mornings. So, I sleep, I wake up around 3AM and I am so productive in the morning, extra super productive. I’d do my coffee, and I do all the serious work from 3AM all the way to 8AM and then get out of my room, shower, and have breakfast. And then I take a nap at 11AM. So my life was like, my schedule was upside down. And so that wasn’t making me go out a lot. So, when I have to meet with friends for lunch and all that, that means I have to do my work the day before.

Yeah, so that was my life, then I say that I was working part time for a fact checking company called Fact Check Ghana. We do a lot of fact checking on the media scape around West Anglophone, West African countries, because we have Francophone West African countries and anglophone so since we are Anglophone. In Ghana, we deal with Anglophone West African countries. So we do some checking with Gambia, Senegal. And yeah, basically, it was my life. I was having fun.

Alyssa: “What drew you to this Phd Program? ”

Naa: So like I said, with my fact checking company, my experience, even though I wasn’t getting the core fact checking work, I actually knew what they were doing. And I found it interesting. And I’m also very active on social media, especially Twitter, which is now X. It’s so nerve wracking, no, it actually grates on my nerves, when I see misinformation. Social media is full of misinformation. So, when I saw how my fact checking company was struggling to do the fact checking effectively on social media, I was wondering, well, I want to do my PhD, but I have been thinking about what exactly I wanted to do my PhD in — I knew it was going to be communication. But then I didn’t really know what my research interest was until then, and I realized okay, again, ‘GhanaFact’ was having quite a lot of difficulties trying to push facts, checked messages, because the misinformation travels so wide.

So I was wondering, there should be something that should be able to do this. I mean, if misinformation can go viral, the correct information should also be able to go viral. And I think the advent of AI can help do that. So I thought, okay, great, I have my research interest now. How we’re going to push fact checking with AI, how we’re going to make it faster, more effective. And so that was my interest. Then I started looking for schools and I just stumbled on BU, which was like a miracle. It wasn’t on my radar and I saw the communication department, I saw emerging media study and I was like, whoa! I read what it was and felt this is perfect for me, and all that I want to study. So, I just saw BU and emerging media and I loved it. So I applied to a couple of schools, and BU was one of them. I love that I got it.

Alyssa: “So we talked a little bit about your current research interests. Can you elaborate on the role AI and machine learning play in fixing the misinformation? I think I’m just curious about that connection.”

Naa: Honestly, it’s difficult. I have been searching the internet for papers, scholarly works that talk about AI, and fact checking. And most of the papers I’ve seen have been more qualitative, and more like trials, they’re not really concrete. And I’m still searching. And I’m so sure I’m going to get to the end of the road by the time I’m done with my PhD studies. I feel like because social media or digital media use algorithms and algorithms can be manipulated to do a lot of things, like to push advertising and push advertising is basically pushing certain selected or targeted messages to an audience and it works. So, if that is working for misinformation, why shouldn’t it work for credible messages or less targeted messages?

Specificity is to also reach wide and be viable. Yeah, I mean, it should be possible. I am not taking “Oh, no, I tried [combating misinformation] and it’s not working,” I don’t want to take that. I really think it should be possible. Because if I saw it when I scrolled on Twitter, and maybe I commented on one topic of interest, by the time the next time I open my Twitter, I see so many tweets about the same topic, even when I’m no longer interested. So this is happening. Why can’t the credible message be like that? Let’s say I comment on something that is misinformation I didn’t know about, the next time I open my Twitter, I should have the correct information of that tweet. It should be flooding my feed as well. So this is what I aim to achieve. I’m gonna achieve it. Even if it’s a request for collaboration with people from other departments like the engineering department, or CDF or computer science, I will achieve it.

Alyssa: “That‘s amazing. I know you talked about how true information doesn’t spread as quickly. I’ve read some papers like it’s horrible how true information is so slow but bad information just goes viral. What do you see as the biggest challenges in combating misinformation and disinformation in today’s digital landscape? ”

Naa: Yeah, like you mentioned, we all know negative news travels faster. People are more interested in negativity, and people tend to engage more on social media with sensitive information and stuff that is going to rile people up.

But what we can do is to change opinions about these things which have misinformation. And the fact that we don’t have control over what people post is the most difficult part.

Though content moderation is possible, it’s not a complete solution. Some people actually derive joy from being bullies. You can’t win with that. Where you can win is getting people on your side, pushing out the correct information. And just to make the work easier. So as I say, I appeal to other people, humans on the internet, because you can’t appeal to bots.

Alyssa: “Reflecting on your year here, how would you describe your experience studying abroad in the United States? What aspects were most impactful for you? ” 

Naa: Sometimes, the world paints a picture of people in the United States as being very individualistic. But I kind of feel it’s nice. I experience nice people. And Boston has a reputation for being rude. I feel like I really haven’t experienced that. Probably because I haven’t gone outside of campus too much. But, if I ever need something, and you approach someone, they’re normally pretty warm.
I was telling my friends. I actually think I haven’t noticed the community around me. And people are actually very helpful. They are willing to support you. So I love that.

And because I don’t have a car here, I’d have to walk. I think it’s good exercise. So I actually love Boston. I feel like this is my kind of city. I am not a party girl. So when I visited my cousin in Philly for Christmas, yeah, Boston was my way. It’s very quiet, not much noise and I love it. I would go out to New York or Philly, just party for a short time. But I always want to return to Boston. I love it. Boston is the place you rest your head. That’s great.

Alyssa: “Can you share any specific instances where the CRC’s resources or guidance were particularly beneficial?”

Naa: I think the CRC is very accommodating. Anyone who enters here, anyone who’s here at that desk front desk like Amanda will be so welcoming to you. I think it’s a home for us, for PhDs. I think sometimes we don’t have offices so far. My friend, like me, has an office in Milan. I have a friend who is now a lecturer for UPenn, she has an office too. So some other schools have offices. And we need offices as well. For now, CRC serves as our office. I’ve yet to conduct research [at the CRC]. So I’m sure I’ll see a lot of help from CRC from that side. And I guess a free coffee.

Alyssa: “Although it might seem far off, do you have any aspirations for your career post-graduation?”

Naa: So, my long-term goal is to be in academia, to be a professor. I’ve worked in the industry, but I think I’m over it. I don’t really like the industry as much. I’ve experienced the TV newsroom environment — competitive and, wow, okay — and it seems this competitive and toxic atmosphere is common in newsrooms worldwide. I don’t want anything to do with that. 

And I’ve realized that I love teaching at college. I think this passion stems from living with my niece, my sister’s daughter, while growing up. It made me realize how much I love to impart knowledge. I feel so fulfilled when I see her understand something I’ve taught her. 

Yeah, like, I feel a genuine love for teaching people, and that hasn’t changed. Because one-on-one, I love to teach. I love talking to my undergraduates and all that. So, this is what drew me to academia. If I decide to go into the industry, it would probably be because I haven’t had the right opportunity yet. Yeah, but I would love to be in American media studies or anything similar. There are many schools that align with my interests in emerging fields. I aim to be a professor and also work towards using AI ethically and effectively.

I hope to collaborate with people from other industries. I’m an interdisciplinary person, very curious. I love learning from other people, exploring other fields, and engaging in collaborations. That’s definitely a yes for me, even with people from other schools. You know, I have connections in Ghana whom I’d love to collaborate with. EMS is incredibly supportive, starting from the first year of PhD—everyone is willing to help.

Everyone says, ‘Oh, come on, if you need something.’ It’s like no one is standoffish. If there’s an opportunity, even if it means we might be competing, it’s fine—there’s no animosity. Just like with my colleagues James and Jesse, we share resources and support each other. If you want to apply, go for it, and it’s great. I feel fulfilled because I detest toxicity. I feel like people respect boundaries, which I cherish, especially given my background. It’s challenging to find such respect for boundaries in a community, especially a new one. But in an individualistic society, setting boundaries seems easier, which I appreciate. 

Looking towards the future, Naa is dedicated to making significant contributions to the field of fact-checking and combating misinformation. With a clear vision and a passion for teaching, she aims to leverage artificial intelligence to develop more effective methods in identifying and disseminating truth. This ambition reflects a profound commitment to enhancing the integrity of information in the digital age, aspiring to create a more informed and truthful society.