Women’s Hockey: Boston University Falls to Maine in Lone Game of the Weekend

The Boston University Women’s Ice Hockey Team (12-15-3, 10-12-1 HE) was defeated by the University of Maine Black Bears (12-16-2, 9-13-2 HE) 3-1 during their Friday night matchup at Walter Brown Arena. Junior goaltender Callie Shanahan made 28 of 31 saves in the loss. Sophomore forward Luisa Welke scored the Terriers’ only goal. 

With graduate co-captain Nadia Mattivi away for the week with team Italy, the Terriers’ lines saw a shakeup, most significantly with senior co-captain Madison Cardaci playing defense. 

“Any change is going to make it a little bit more difficult,” said Head Coach Tara Watchorn. “Nadia is a big part of our lineup, but I do think our girls stepped up. Its [Nadia’s absence] a factor but by no means is it an excuse.”

In the first period of action, the Terriers found themselves being outplayed by the Black Bears. Despite starting the game on the power play, BU was limited to just one shot on goal for the first seven minutes of the period. 

The lone goal of the first 20 minutes went to Maine, as freshman forward Bria Holm tallied her first collegiate point. The goal came at 12:29 into the period when the puck was whacked out of mid-air and redirected into the back of Shanahan’s net. Senior defender Elise Morphy and fifth-year forward Abby Latorella picked up the assists on the night’s first goal.

The period ended with the Black Bears leading in shots on goal 16-7 and leading where it counted 1-0. 

Maine found the back of the net again in the second period at 14:08 to increase their lead to 2-0. This time, Latorella found the puck after a BU breakdown in the neutral zone that allowed her to beat Shanahan’s glove side. This time it was junior forward Mira Seregely and junior defender Adriana Van De Leest who were credited with assists. 

Welke, the former Black Bear turned Terrier, scored BU’s only goal of the night with just 2:24 remaining in the second period. Sophomore defender Brooke Disher found the puck following a scrap for possession in the high slot area and kicked it to an open Welke. Welke’s initial shot was stopped by Maine’s freshman goaltender Julia Bachetti, but Welke picked up the rebound, lofted it up, and into the net on a backhand shot to make it 2-1. 

Shots on goal at the end of the second period were 26-16 in favor of the Black Bears. 

Once again, the Black Bears struck first when freshman forward Raegan Wurm picked up a rebound off senior defender Kennedy Little’s initial shot from the edge of the left circle. The goal, which occurred at 11:02 and was the final goal of the night, was also assisted by freshman forward Sam Morrison. 

The Terriers elected to pull Shanahan for an extra attacker with just over three minutes remaining, but they were unable to score any additional goals.

Shots on goal for the game ended at an almost even 31-30 in favor of Maine. 

“Too little too late,” said Watchorn. “I think obviously it was a very slow start for us and that’s not the team that we are.”

BU women’s ice hockey will have the remainder of the weekend off as they will not be back in action until next Friday night when they take on the University of Vermont Catamounts in Burlington at 2 pm.