Women’s Soccer: Terriers fall to Army in final regular season game

By Tyler Davis

Boston University (7-6-5) (4-3-2 PL) closed the regular season with a loss against Army (9-6-3) (6-2-1 PL) with a 1-2 scoreline.

Going into the game, Army sat on the top spot of the Patriot League standings. However, the Terriers were on a hot streak and were coming off of a 4-0 win against American on their Senior Day.

In the 9th minute of the game, a free kick was taken by Midfielder Lily Matthews, but the shot went wide of the goal.

The Terriers continued their constant pressure, winning a free kick. However, after the free kick, Army started an attack the other way, but it was broken up by the Terrier defense.

There was another “burst” attack in the 14th minute from Army; they passed it around outside the box before attempting a shot, but they were unable to capitalize, and the Terriers were able to kick it out of bounds.

After winning the ball back, the Terriers launched an attack, but the momentum was quickly interrupted by a foul called on the Terriers outside of Army’s box.

At 19:53, Army had a big chance with a 1v1, but Goalkeeper Celia Braun made a huge fingertip save, sending the ball just wide of the post, giving Army their first corner of the game.

After successfully defending the corner, the Terriers made an attack towards Army’s goal with Forward Abigail McNulty crossing the ball into the box, but the Terriers were unable to score, as no one was there to finish it.

The ball possession kept going back and forth between the Terriers and Army, but the score remained 0-0.

The first handball of the match was called from outside the Terrier’s 18-yard line during the 28th minute. Army crossed the ball inside the box, but Braun was able to easily make the save.

Breaking the score drought, Army found the first goal of the match at 31:36, scored by Midfielder Brigid Duffy.

With the Terriers hungry to score, Army gave away a free kick with under 10 minutes of the first half left. However, the Terriers created no chances with it.

Army continued pressuring and were able to score their second goal of the match at 35:29 by Forward Jasmine Talley. 

With under ten minutes until the first half ended, possession was about even with back and forth chances from both the Terriers and Army. 

The first half ended with a score of 0-2 in Army’s favor.

Coming back into the second half, Army started off strong by continuing the momentum and pressure from the first half.

Army had their first shot on goal  in the second half quickly by Duffy in the 47th minute.

With the Terriers struggling to fend off the pressure from Army, they continued to dominate the Terriers in the second half. 

However, the Terriers were able to create multiple chances from multiple free kicks, but were unable to score on any of them. 

Feeling the pressure, the first and only yellow card of the match was given to Forward Ava Maguire at 71:49.

With a surge of life, the Terriers were finally able to score at 85:35. The goal was scored by Forward Margy Porta, her third of the season.

With under five minutes left of the game, the Terriers continued to put pressure on Army, but they were unable to capitalize on any more chances, leading to a 1-2 loss.

The Terriers will return to Nickerson Field this Sunday at 1 p.m. for their Patriot League Quarterfinal bout against Lehigh.