Field Hockey: BU splits weekend with BC and UVM

By Devora Slonim

The Boston University Field Hockey (2-3, 0-0 PL) split their weekend series — falling to the Boston College Eagles (3-2) at home Friday before defeating the University of Vermont Catamounts (2-3) on the road in double overtime Sunday. 

BU v. BC- Friday, Sept. 8

The Terriers fell to their Green-Line rivals 4-0 in Friday’s game at New Balance Field. 

“It’s a great game for us early in the season to really see what’s working and what needs work,” BU Head Coach Sally Starr said. “This is the type of game that can absolutely make us a better team.” 

Senior goalkeeper Kate Thomason continued her start in net, finishing the night with seven saves. 

The first quarter was scoreless with the Eagles outshooting the Terriers five to three. 

BC held the momentum in the second quarter as senior midfielder Juliette Hijdra capitalized on a penalty corner for the first goal of the game and her first of the season. 

The Eagles continued to take advantage of penalty corners when forward Margo Carlin redirected the ball into the net to make it a 2-0 game. 

The end of the second half concluded with another BC goal as sophomore forward and midfielder Martina Giacchino notched her first of the season. 

Thomason kept the Terriers alive in the third with a left-pad save to give BU possession and prevent the Eagles from scoring. 

In the final quarter, BC subbed in senior goalkeeper Emily Gillespie for the last 15 minutes. 

The game proceeded with both teams unable to capitalize on their corners. However, with just under 10 minutes left in the game, sophomore forward Mia Garber and senior midfielder Peyton Hale connected on a highlight-reel play to find the back of BU’s net. 

Hale took the shot while Garber dove for the ball, perfectly directing over the top of Thomasons’ shoulder for the 4-0 finish. 

Graduate student goalkeeper Caroline Kelly, who played for the Terriers as an undergraduate, faced five shots on goal. Kelly and Gillespie earned the shutout, making six total saves. 

After the game, Starr remained optimistic for the rest of her team’s season as they looked for redemption against the Catamounts on Sunday.  

“I think there’s a lot of positives that can be taken away from today’s game,” Starr said. “Let’s figure out what went well and what needs work before we face a very good Vermont team.”


BU v. UVM- Sunday, Sept. 10

Heading into the weekend’s second game, BU was eager to make a comeback on the road. Sophomore forward Caroline O’Brien stole the show — recording her first collegiate hat trick and erasing an early two-goal deficit. 

Thomason and UVM’s sophomore goalkeeper Lauren Halenkamp kept the game scoreless in the first quarter before the Catamounts shifted the momentum in their favor. 

On the first penalty corner of the game, UVM’s junior defender and midfielder Sophia Drees scored on a quick snipe just under 10 minutes in. 

The Terriers tried to answer back with three straight penalty corners but could not find the back of the net. 

At the end of the first, junior forward Reggie Hillery doubled the Catamounts’ lead on the breakaway to make it 2-0. 

The second quarter was action-packed, and the Terriers dominated throughout. 

As time expired on UVM’s sophomore forward Sophia Lefrance’s early penalty, O’Brien cut the Catamounts’ lead in half. Converting on the corner attempt, O’Brien tallied her second goal of the season. 

Four minutes later, O’Brien made a play on an attack penalty corner, finding the back of the net again to tie the game at 2-2.  

Tensions were high for both teams entering the second half as the score remained tied.  

BU junior midfielder and defender Katie Devine received a yellow card, giving UVM a five-minute player advantage. 

Shortly after, O’Brien gave her team a chance by drawing a penalty corner. 

UVM could not clear the ball and gave BU three more corner opportunities. On the final attempt, junior forward Payton Anderson scored the Terriers’ third unanswered goal for the 3-2 lead. 

In the final quarter, the Catamounts dominated as they searched for the tying goal. 

With 5:18 left, UVM pulled Halenkamp for the player advantage. 

The home team earned a crucial penalty corner late, but it was shortly negated as fifth-year forward Maddie Moran received the game’s sixth yellow card.

Now playing 9 v. 9, the Terriers looked to close out the game with 30 seconds remaining. 

Thomason stood strong — making multiple saves — but the Catamounts found the equalizer with one-second remaining. Graduate defender Haley Buffenbarger’s dramatic finish sent the game into overtime. 

The extra time began with BU playing 5 v. 6 instead of the normal 7 v. 7 due to the surplus of yellow cards given to both teams in this game. 

BU led in overtime shots 3-2, but neither side could end the game. 

Double overtime began with both teams at full strength. 

Halenkamp kept the Catamounts alive with an incredible left-foot save on Preece, but O’Brien sealed the deal with time expiring in the second overtime. 

On the late corner attempt, senior midfielder Thalia Steenssens found O’Brien to grab the 4-3 victory over UVM. Thomason finished the afternoon with 12 saves. 

The Terriers will continue on the road over their next three games but will open their Patriot League schedule Friday, Sept. 16 against Holy Cross.