Frozen Four: Denver outlasts Michigan to advance to national championship

By Patrick Donnelly

BOSTON —  Carter Savoie scored with 5:07 remaining in overtime, and the University of Denver Pioneers won 3-2 against the University of Michigan Wolverines at TD Garden on Thursday to advance to the national championship.

The sophomore forward scored on his own rebound in front of the crease after junior forward Bobby Brink passed to him in the slot.

“Bobby made an unbelievable play. Goalie made a good save, and then I got the rebound there,” Savoie said. “Unbelievable feeling going through that winning. … [We’ve] got a chance to win the championship here. So I mean no better feeling than that.”

Senior forwards Brett Stapley and Cameron Wright each scored for Denver (30-9-1, 18-6-0 NCHC), and sophomore defenseman Mike Benning had two assists. Junior goaltender Magnus Chrona made 19 saves.

“It was a really good hockey game,” Denver head coach David Carle said. “I thought both teams checked really well. There wasn’t a lot of ice, it didn’t seem. And it was an entertaining game. We’re obviously excited to be on the positive end.

“Give Michigan credit. I thought they adjusted well throughout the game. Made it harder on us. But I give our players a ton of credit for, again, sticking with it, winning another one-goal hockey game.” 

Senior assistant captain Jimmy Lambert and sophomore forward Thomas Bordeleau each scored for Michigan (31-10-1, 16-8 Big Ten). Sophomore goaltender Erik Portillo made 30 saves.

“I just want to congratulate Denver. It was a hard-fought game. They’re a heck of a hockey team. I want to wish them all the best. They did a nice job,” Michigan head coach Mel Pearson said. “This is my 40th year in Division I hockey. I couldn’t be more proud of the young men that I was able to coach this year. It’s the most fun I’ve had, and I owe it all to them.”

Stapley put the Pioneers up 1-0 at 11:22 of the first, scoring on a rebound in the slot after Portillo saved Justin Lee’s shot from the point.

Lambert tied it 1-1 for the Wolverines 4:03 into the second period. After the puck bounced off the official, senior assistant captain Nolan Moyle worked the puck to Lambert in front of the net, and he took the rolling puck to his forehand and buried it.

“When it comes down to it, I think we kind of got a late start, and Mel harped on us all week that it’s all about the start, all about the start, all about the start. In that aspect I think we have to take accountability,” Michigan senior forward Garrett Van Wyhe said. “But that being said, I mean, Denver’s a great team. They made it to the Frozen Four. Like I said, at the end of the day, I think it just comes down to us and our game. And I don’t think we executed for a full 60 minutes.”

The Pioneers held the Wolverines to nine shots through the first two periods.

“Our angling, our puck pressure, was really good. And when people did get beat, there was another layer there to help a lot of times. Our sticks were great,” Carle said. “And when that person got beat, Magnus was there to make a save. So it’s not easy to contain that team. ... Very proud of our team, how we took away time and space, and made life hard on them.”

Wright gave Denver a 2-1 lead at 14:24 of the third. Sophomore defenseman Mike Benning sent a wrist shot from the point, and Wright redirected it at the right face-off circle to the top left corner.

Bordeleau evened it up 2-2 at 10:51 on the rush. DU sophomore defenseman Antti Tuomisto’s shot from the point was blocked before Michigan went the other way. Fifth-year assistant captain Mike Pastujov’s centering pass was blocked, but it landed right n Bordeleau’s stick in front, and he scored.

The Pioneers went 0-for-3 on the power play, while the Wolverines did not have an opportunity on the man advantage.

Denver will advance to face the winner of the nightcap between Minnesota State and Minnesota in the national championship on Saturday at 8 p.m.