Hockey East Championship: Bohlinger scores in OT; UMass repeats as Champions

By Patrick Donnelly

BOSTON — Aaron Bohlinger scored at 3:06 of overtime, and the UMass Minutemen won 2-1 against the UConn Huskies to repeat as Hockey East Champions at TD Garden on Saturday.

The sophomore defenseman collected senior captain Bobby Trivigno’s pass at the top of the high slot, and his snap shot deflected off UConn senior co-captain Jachym Kondelik and in.

“I mean, obviously, it feels great,” Bohlinger said. “We did it pretty early [in overtime], which is nice. You don’t have to worry about it anymore. We knew we had them on their heels, and just did the right things. Great pass, and just put it on net so good things will happen.”

Bohlinger’s two career goals are game-winning goals in the championship.

“He told me after the game that he only scores in championship games,” UMass head coach Greg Carvel said. “He’s got two career goals, and they’re both game-winning goals in the championship game. He was really good this week, and I thought our defense was really good. … That’s the best he’s played. He’s been beat up all year. He’s found his game, and he’s a really effective player when he’s moving and controlling the game with the puck.”

Trivigno had a goal and an assist for the Minutemen (22-12-2, 14-8-2 HE), and was named tournament MVP. Graduate goaltender Matt Murray made 19 saves.

“I’m so proud of our kids,” Carvel said. “This was really hard defending this year. … This is awesome. I’m so happy for our program, our kids. … We earned the playoff championship. I’m very proud of our group.”

Sophomore forward Vlad Firstov scored for the Huskies (20-16-0, 14-11-0 HE), and graduate goaltender Darion Hanson made 31 saves.

“[UMass] really had us on our heels for a good portion of the game,” UConn head coach Mike Cavanaugh said. “We fought, and we clawed and hung in there to give ourselves a chance to get to overtime and win our first title. But it just wasn’t meant to be tonight.

“As far as the seniors, you know, I said to them they’ve done so much for our program. There’s so many things in life I think that they’re going to realize that you have to bargain and barter for. … But I think the precious things in life are the non-transactional things, being together, and you can’t put a price on the experience those guys just had this season.”

Cavanaugh thought Hanson’s game was characteristic of his season as a whole.

“He gave us a chance to win the game,” he said. “He was outstanding, not only tonight, but all year.”

The Minutemen held a 10-3 shot advantage after the first period.

Firtov put UConn ahead 1-0 at 2:25 of the second, redirecting sophomore defenseman John Spetz’s shot from the point through Murray’s five hole. Firstov has scored the opening goal in all three of UConn’s game in the Hockey East tournament.

Trivigno tied it 1-1 at 16:06. UConn sophomore forward Ryan Tverberg turned it over inside the offensive blue line, and UMass senior assistant captain Colin Felix sent a stretch pass up to Trivigno, who shot five hole off the rush for his 20th goal of the year.

“I don’t think we were playing bad up until that point, but when they scored, it was like ‘we got to go. We got to get something going here,’” Trivigno said. “I got lucky on that goal. I was just waiting for that puck to settle, literally just shot it on net, and got lucky it went in. Just being down in that game by one goal, one shot can go in the net and it’s tied. That’s what I did. I threw it on net, and it went in.”

The Minutemen outshot the Huskies 32-18 after the third.

UConn’s season is over after making it to the Hockey East semifinal and championship for the first time in program history. With the win, UMass automatically punches their ticket to the NCAA tournament to continue their national title defense.

“Repeating is really hard,” Carvel said. “I’ve been very proud of many, many things over six years. Maybe repeating the Hockey East Championship might be No. 1.”