Men’s Hockey: No. 13/14 Terriers cruise to Senior Night win against BC

By Patrick Donnelly

BOSTON — Sophomore forwards Dylan Peterson and Luke Tuch each had two goals in a 6-3 win for the Boston University Terriers against the Boston College Eagles at Agganis Arena on Saturday.

Junior defenseman Dom Fensore had three assists for the No. 13/14 Terriers (17-10-3, 12-6-3 HE), sophomore forward Nick Zabaneh had two assists, and junior forward Wilmer Skoog and freshman forward Brian Carrabes each scored. Sophomore goaltender Vinny Duplessis made 23 saves. 12 different BU skaters recored a point.

“We’re pretty excited about the result,” BU head coach Albie O’Connell said. “There was some manic play and some sloppiness at times, and some stupidity. But on balance, we played a good hockey game, 5-on-5. … I thought we did a good job, overall tonight. So really happy for the group, especially after the time off.”

The Terriers are 14-1-1 in their last 16 games, and have not lost in regulation since Nov. 27.

Senior forward Jack McBain scored twice for the Eagles (11-16-5, 6-11-3 HE), and senior forward Casey Carreau had a goal. Graduate goaltender Eric Dop made 36 saves. BC has one win since Dec. 31, a 6-1 decision against Dartmouth. The Eagles are 1-12-2 since.

“BU played very well,” BC head coach Jerry York said. “They’re on a pretty good streak here over the last number of games, and I can see why. … We’re going to need to play better tomorrow, specifically in boxing out the front of our net. I thought we were a little loose in that, and we’ve got to tighten up in the neutral zone. I think those are some areas of concern when I watch the game quickly.”

Tuch scored at 11:34 of the first to give BU a 1-0 lead, redirecting Fensore’s wrist shot from the point.

“To get one early there, it’s good to just feed off each other. So we had fun today, and tomorrow we’re looking to repeat the same plan,” Tuch said. “It was exciting. The crowd was amazing, to get one earlier there and to get two against my brother [Alex’s] old team – I’m going to give him a call after this – was exciting.”

Peterson doubled the Terriers’ lead at 18:18, scoring on a loose puck in a net-front scramble.

Skoog made it 3-0 15 seconds later, finishing a forehand-backhand move on a breakaway.

McBain cut it to 3-1 for BC at 7:29 of the second with a shot right off the face-off from the left circle. Skoog and BU junior forward Sam Stevens each scored in similar fashion from the same spot earlier this season.

Peterson got his second of the game to extend BU’s lead to 4-1 at 10:48 with a shot in front off a cross-crease pass from senior defenseman Joseph Campolieto, and Tuch made it 5-1 on the power play with his second of the night at 14:37.

McBain answered for the Eagles at 16:25 to make it 5-2. It was his first game since Dec. 31 after he was with Canada at the Winter Olympics.

“It was great to have Jack McBain back in our lineup,” York said. “He played very, very well for us.”

The two sides combined for 24 penalty minutes in the second.

Carrabes made it 6-2 at 2:43 of the third with a redirection in the slot off Fensore’s shot from the point.

Carreau scored five hole on a shorthanded breakaway at 13:50 for the 6-3 final.

BC sophomore forward Nikita Nesterenko was assessed a five-minute major and game misconduct for spearing BU freshman defenseman Gallagher at 10:12 of the third.

O’Connell said he didn’t get a good look at the play, but York said he thought the officials made the right call.

“I didn’t get a great view of it,” York said. “From what I could see, I think it was clearly a five-minute major. … It’s the correct call.”

BU junior defenseman Case McCarthy left the game with an injury and did not return after blocking a slap shot in his midsection during the second period. There was no update on his status.

The Terriers celebrated Senior Night before the game, honoring senior captain Logan Cockerill, senior assistant captain Ty Amonte, senior defenseman Joseph Campolieto and graduate assistant captain Max Kaufman.

“It was good. It’s a fun game for it to be against BC, and then obviously, to get the win, it’s great,” Cockerill said. “I’m hoping we get one more home game, so I’m kind of in a little bit limbo right now. I’m not sure if that was my last game [at Agganis] or not, but hopefully, I get one more. But if we don’t, that’s a great way to go off.”

The Terriers and Eagles will rematch Sunday afternoon at Conte Forum. Puck drop is set for 4 p.m.

Featured Image: Sophomore forward Dylan Peterson (13) celebrates his first period goal in a 6-3 win against Boston College at Agganis Arena on Sat. Feb. 26, 2022. Photo by Carolyn Mooney.