Men’s Hockey: Terriers drop heart-breaker to Sacred Heart

By Patrick Donnelly

Ryan Steele scored the game-winner with 13.9 seconds remaining in regulation as the Sacred Heart Pioneers (1-2-0, 0-0-0 AHA) defeated the No. 12/15 Boston University Terriers (1-2-0, 1-1-0 HE) 3-2 at Agganis Arena on Friday.

“It’s obviously a really frustrating ending, losing late and how we lost it,” BU head coach Albie O’Connell said. “I liked our competitive spirit. I liked how hard we played.”

The win marked the first of the season for SHU. Senior forward Austin Magera had a goal and an assist for the Pioneers, and junior goaltender Justin Robbins made 23 saves.

BU has now dropped two games in a row. Terrier junior defenseman Dom Fensore had a goal and an assist. Sophomore goaltender Drew Commesso made 31 saves.

The Terriers were most notably without senior captain Logan Cockerill and junior forward Jay O’Brien, in addition to junior defenseman Case McCarthy and senior defenseman Joseph Campolieto. Sophomore forward Luke Tuch exited the game early with an undisclosed injury.

“We got some guys out right now, but we’re not here to make excuses,” O’Connell said. “Tuch got dinged up in the game. I haven’t heard a final [evaluation] on that.”

Neither team scored in the first period. SHU outshout the Terriers 11-7 after the first 20 minutes, thanks largely to three power plays, including a five-minute major and game misconduct for hitting from behind on BU junior forward Markus Boguslavsky.

“[In the] first period we kind of shot ourselves in the foot, taking penalties,” O’Connell said.”We got a little gassed.”

Fensore scored to break the scoreless tie at 4:30 of the second. Junior forward Wilmer Skoog found Fensore in the high slot, and he rifled a shot top shelf.

1:15 later, Pioneers junior captain Braeden Tuck tied it. Senior forward Austin Magera touched the puck to Tuck, who was parked in front and beat Commesso glove-side.

With 55 seconds remaining in the period, Mastrosimone scored to give BU a 2-1 lead. The Detroit Red Wings draft pick drove wide off the rush and slid the puck through Robbins’ five hole.

Magera scored at 12:59 of the third to tie it for SHU, redirecting sophomore defenseman Dante Fantauzzi’s shot from the point.

Steele, a senior forward, scored the late game-winner off a broken play in front to give the Pioneers the 3-2 win. Graduate forward Dakota Raabe tried to stuff a wraparound attempt past Commesso, and the rebound jumped right to Steele.

“[SHU] had one guy on a wraparound, and we had three guys around him and we don’t get under his stick,” O’Connell said.

BU went 1-for-2 on the power play, while Sacred Heart squandered their five opportunities on the man-advantage.

“We won the special teams game. We won the face off game, but we didn’t win the game,” O’Connell said. “We’ve got to get ready and recovered to play tomorrow night, versus a good, solid hockey team, who obviously was ready to play tonight for 60 minutes.”

The Terriers and the Pioneers will rematch Saturday at Agganis Arena. Puck drop is at 7 p.m.

Featured Image by Joe Eachus