Men’s Soccer: Terriers attacking woes continue in 3-0 trouncing vs. Loyola Maryland

By Cameron Meyer

Earlier this week, Boston University (1-7-1, 1-3 PL) announced that its Class of 2020 Commencement would be moved to Nickerson Field, relocating Saturday’s game against Loyola Maryland (4-3-2, 2-1-0 PL) to Parsons Field in Brookline, Massachusetts. The Terriers, despite experiencing new home field scenery, continued to underwhelm on the attacking side of the ball in a 3-0 loss. 

In what’s been a disappointing stretch of games for the Terriers, being unable to score in three consecutive, this performance was arguably the worst of the bunch. In only six shots throughout the game, the Terriers were only able to get one on frame as the Greyhounds dominated play throughout the 90 minutes. 

“We didn’t deserve to win, that’s it,” BU head coach Kevin Nylen said on his takeaways from the game.

As soon as the match kicked off, the Greyhounds high press started to take a toll on the Terriers’ shape, pushing them back into their defensive half. It didn’t take long for the Greyhounds’ control over the game to affirm itself on the scoreboard. 

In the 18th minute, forward Justin Ingram was able to get in behind the Terrier’s right defensive side and slot in fellow striker Kelan Swales for the tap-in. Three minutes later, BU forward Brian Hernandez looked to respond by putting the Terriers level, but his shot rolled just wide of the post. Unfortunately for the home side, the freshman’s shot was the closest BU would get to a goal for the entirety of the game.

“If you can score goals, let me know,” Nylen said when asked in his post-game interview if he’d change anything tactically to get his squad out of their scoring rut.

The Terriers kept the Greyhounds to a goal-deficit into the half. BU’s back four, however, which had held strong against a lively Loyola attack, let up in the 69th minute as the Greyhounds doubled their lead. Jake Sweeney and Jake Mayer combined for a one-two around defender Daniel Rosario and it was the latter of the two Jakes who had the finishing touch. 

The final blow came in the 88th minute as the game quickly became out of reach for the Terriers. In an incident of miscommunication between Rosario and center back partner Evan Morrison, Ingram picked up the loose ball and slotted it home. 

“Our guys didn’t have any response [to the Greyhounds’ goals] today,” Nylen said.

With slumped shoulders and heads pointed downwards, the Terriers faced their third straight loss and their seventh of the season. Contrast that with the celebratory punch in the air by Ingram, who not only secured his eighth point of the season, but also his team’s third win from four. 

“[Loyola Maryland are] tougher than us, they have a winning mentality and we don’t do well with that,” Nylen said. “They are probably one of the better teams in the conference.”

The Terriers will return to the pitch Tuesday away to Harvard University at 7 p.m in their first non-conference game since Sept. 10.