INTERVIEW: FLO MILLI

By Grace Lauson

Flo Milli is an American songwriter and rapper from Mobile, Alabama. She released an album this summer called Ho, why is you here? which has gained a lot of popularity over the past couple of months. WTBU journalist, Grace Lauson, chatted with Flo Milli about her popularity on TikTok, her background in the music industry, and how COVID-19 has affected her career.

Grace Lauson (GL): I know you must be pretty busy and this may be a difficult question, especially with the current pandemic, but can you walk me through what an average day in your life is like?

Flo Milli (FM): An average day in my life is probably shooting a video or doing a photoshoot and maybe doing some interviews, like what I’m doing right now. Then going into the studio, getting my hair and makeup done, and getting some work done. 

GL: How has COVID-19 affected your life as an artist?

FM: My social life is the main difference because I don’t get to go out as much as I used to. I also haven’t been able to do shows or see fans but, mentally, I have been more eager to do stuff. I have been able to accomplish a lot. 

GL: I know you are from Alabama. Do you think your upbringing and background in the South has had a big effect on your music today? 

FM: I don’t really think it affected it. It just made me more hungry to be different. Alabama doesn’t really have a lot of artists into rapping. They didn’t have any artists that I could relate to. So, it drove me to figure out my personality and come up with new stuff. 

GL: Do you ever get homesick now when you are outside of Alabama?

FM: It is nice to have time off but I don’t really get homesick anymore. I used to when I first got into the business but now I am used to being on my own. 

GL: I know you started rapping at a young age but do you remember what initially got you interested in music? 

FM: I used to watch artists and be inspired by them. I was just always interested in music. So, it was just a natural thing for me. 

GL: I know this is such a dream come true for you but did you ever think about doing anything other than music?

FM: I thought about acting and modeling before but music was always the main thing that I wanted to do. So, I made that the biggest priority. 

GL: What is your process of making a track from start to finish?

FM: I just kind of keep to myself and try to vibe out alone. I wouldn’t say it is the same process every time but that’s how I try to create most of the time. 

GL:  Do you ever get writer’s block or stuck when creating new music?

FM: No, it comes naturally. 

GL: When you release a song can you ever estimate how much success it’s going to have?

FM: Anything can be a hit. People in this generation all know what they consider to be sick. I don’t really focus on if a song is going to be a hit because, to me, every song is a hit. So, I just think of it as me having fun and making music that makes me feel cool. 

GL: I know you were in college before you had your big music break. What was that like? Did you like college? 

FM: I didn’t like college. I wasn’t a fan of it. Yeah, I didn’t like college at all. That’s just the end of it. 

GL: What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of the music industry? 

FM: My favorite part is being able to connect with my fans. I kind of embrace all of it. So, I don’t have a least favorite part. 

GL: Do you have any hobbies that aren’t musically oriented? What do you do in your free time?

FM: I like to go shopping. 

GL: Who are your favorite artists currently?

FM: Myself. 

GL: You have gotten a lot of traction on TikTok recently. Is that something you are doing because you enjoy it or is it more of a promotional platform for your brand. 

FM: Oh, that’s just for me. If you ever see me on TikTok doing some shit, just know that I wasn’t being serious. I am just playing. Don’t take it seriously. 

GL: Do you enjoy the process of constantly being busy or does it get overwhelming?

FM: It doesn’t get overwhelming at all. I am naturally a talker. So, it doesn’t really bother me to do interviews and stuff. 

GL: What’s next for you? What do we have to look forward to?

FM: A lot of collaborations and just different stuff is coming up. You all just have to stay tuned and keep an eye out. Yeah, a lot of different stuff coming soon. 

You can listen to Flo Milli’s new album, Ho, why is you here? now!