Men’s Basketball: Q&A with 2023 recruit Daman Tate

By: Greg Levinsky

Local product Daman Tate announced his commitment to be the second member of the Boston University men’s basketball class of 2023 Monday night, joining Ethan Brittain-Watts.

Tate is a Roxbury native and chose Boston University over Richmond and Gardner-Webb. The 6-foot-5 combo guard recently finished his senior season at Cushing Academy with All-NEPSAC Class AA honors. He took the time to catch up with WTBU Sports the night of his commitment.

Describe the way you play, is there anyone that you model your game after or take inspiration from?

I’m a big guard, I’m 6-foot-5 and a half. I can play the one and the two. I like making plays for my teammates. If I need to score, I’ll score. I think I play a lot like Ty Jerome from Virginia, that’s kinda who I model my game after.

Take us through your recruiting process, what were some of the biggest challenges?

At the beginning of the year I was actually under recruited coming off a broken ankle. Just those complications, at the beginning of the year I had a bunch of D2 schools and stuff like that. As the season went on, more schools started calling. I started getting more offers throughout the year and I think I ended with like 10. Then I cut my list down and now I’m here.

How was your older brother Dana, who now plays at Rhode Island, helped you in your basketball pursuits?

The biggest thing that he told me was to take all my visits. That’s one thing that he said he wished that he did. After I cut down my list I made sure I took the time and went down to each school and got to connect with people down there, the coaches, everybody, just get a feel for myself in person.

You went on your official visit to BU less than a week before committing, what transpired there that sold you on the program?

I’m from Boston, but actually I’d never really been to BU. This was my first time actually seeing the campus and it’s pretty good. It’s not like a normal college campus, like with the green grass and the brick buildings and stuff like that. It’s in the city, it just looks like the city. Buildings popping everywhere and in all reality they’re schools. I love living in Boston, so that isn’t a problem for my. Dean [Daryl] Deluca was also a big reason I decided to come, everything he told me about the school and about the great tradition that it has.

What does it mean to you that you will be able to play collegiately in the city where you grew up?

It’s big time. I’ve been going to prep school since I was in eighth grade. I’ve never really gotten a chance to play in the city and play in the state tournament in front of my friends and family. Just being able to do that in college is big for me, and I’ll try to make the most of this opportunity I’ll have.

What are your thoughts on the BU team entering next season, with the graduation of just one senior, where do you see yourself fitting in?

I think the team is already good, and I’m just going to come in and do what I have to do to win. That’s my end all be all is to win. If it’s whether I have to score, make plays or play defense, I’m going to do whatever I have to do to win. I just see myself fitting in with the guys, just being able to play with other guys that know the game well will make it that much easier for me.

When did you enroll at Cushing Academy, and how did playing a high level of prep hoops prepare you for Division 1 basketball?

I went to Cushing my junior year. I transferred from St. Sebastian’s. I’ve been here for two years and playing in NEPSAC AA is different. Everyone is as good as you every game, and you can’t take anybody lightly. Just the competitive spirit from every practice to every shoot around is big here. At Cushing we really have a good culture.

If you could upset any team in the NCAA Tournament, who would it be and why?

You’ve got to go with one of the blue bloods, Duke, Kentucky or Kansas just because of their history and what that would mean for BU. For sure one of those three.

Photo courtesy of Daman Tate.

Greg Levinsky can be reached at glevinsk@bu.edu. Follow him on Twitter @GregLevinsky