ALBUM REVIEW: Spotify Singles: Christmas Collection

By Olivia Malek

It’s that time of year again.

As we approach into finals season we approach another important season of the year: the season where Michael Bublé rides on the only album that’s given him substantial fame. We’re nearing Christmas, and I’m here today to talk about Spotify’s Christmas singles for this year. They have 15 singles which range in genre, song, and artist. Let’s tackle these singles from worst to best to see which artists nailed the art of covering a Christmas song.

15. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” – Paloma Faith & B.B. Bones

People need to stop covering this song. It’s 2018. Nothing about this song is good; Paloma Faith just did not fit with this song whatsoever. This song physically upset me. Next.

14. “White Christmas” – Meghan Trainor​

If a Hallmark movie were put into song form, it would be this song. Meghan Trainor has a very, very pop oriented voice, and they tried too hard to put her on a song that is very jazzy by nature. This song lost something that “Feliz Navidad” nailed: they failed to adapt the song to a pop artist. This was a big miss for me.

13. “Last Christmas” – Pale Waves

1) This song is meant to be fun. 2) They made this song sad. Pass.

12. “In the Bleak Midwinter” – Fenne Lily

Fenne Lily has a beautiful, hollow, folk-y voice, but overall this song was pretty unremarkable.

11. “Give Love On Christmas Day” – John Legend

This is the acoustic John Legend cover we all knew it was going to be. It definitely highlights his vocals and has a lovely message, but it’s unsurprising and bland.

10. “Little Drummer Boy” – Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

The song definitely matches the artist; Joan Jett & The Blackhearts stayed true to their roots and did a good job with this song. That being said, it didn’t feel Christmas-y to me, so I don’t think I’ll be coming back to this one.

9. “Christmas Must Be Tonight” – Amy Helm & The Wood Brothers

If you like folk rock you’ll love this. The artists redid the song perfectly for the genre, it just wasn’t that up my alley.

8. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” – Jon Batiste & Danielle Brooks

This took another jazzy turn on a classic, which I’m not so sure was successful. Batiste and Brooks are an excellent pairing for a duet, but they could’ve done without the jazz elements of this song. If they had kept the classic music it would’ve been an excellent cover. It’s disappointing to see the duet of two talented artists go to waste.

7. “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town” – Tony Bennett and Diana Krall​

The Jackson 5’s cover of this song will forever be my favorite rendition, but that’s not to say that this isn’t a good one too. It takes a very jazzy approach to the song, which feels very fitting with the this song’s style and makes a very nice cover.

6. “Feliz Navidad” – Why Don’t We

It’s the cliché boy band cover you expect which isn’t necessarily a bad thing; it’s fun, youthful, very catchy, and even has a rap solo. That being said, I don’t know if I’ll personally be listening to this all season long, but it’s worth a shot if you’re into poppier Christmas music.

5. “El Burrito Sabanero” – Aloe Blacc​

Blacc goes back to his Panamanian roots for this unexpected cover. It starts traditional, and then has some Spanish side-dialogue before switching it up to be funkier, with guitar that’s almost reminiscent of the Beach Boys. This is one of the more unique covers of the bunch, and one that’s unique for the better.

4. “Oh My Christmas Tree” – Jim James

This is song made me sad in the best way. Out of the acoustic covers this one nailed it. I will be back to listen to this while I’m missing setting up the Christmas tree back home and studying for finals.

3. “Christmas Time Is Here” – Devin Dawson

This song is really good, but that being said it wasn’t that original or unique. This is a beautiful cover and Dawson’s voice floats over the melody so nicely and it stays true to the melancholy feel of the original, just after listening to all of the songs this one didn’t strike me as a new take. Nonetheless, it’s a fantastic cover.

2. “Oh Holy Night” – Nina Nesbitt​

This song is the perfect modern remake of a Christmas classic. It blends Nesbitt’s airy indie pop voice with the more traditional piano, gospel, and harp of this song flawlessly. I cannot get over this song and will be continuing to listen to it all holiday season.

1. “Linus and Lucy (A Charlie Brown Christmas)” – Anderson .paak

Three F’s to describe this song: Fresh, Funky, (my) Favorite. Do yourself a favor and go listen to this yourself.  Bravo Anderson .paak.