REVIEW: Mom Jeans., Just Friends, awakebutstillinbed, Retirement Part @ ONCE Ballroom 11/11

By Reed Romanko

In back to back (to back, sort of) shows, Mom Jeans. had a “ball” at the Once Ballroom, bringing dad jokes and high energy to an adoring crowd.

Mom Jeans. released their latest album, Puppy Love, in July and only three months later, they began their coast to coast tour, which spanned from Boston to Berkeley. For most of the tour, Mom Jeans had Retirement Party and awakebutstillinbed as openers, co-headlining with Just Friends. All four bands have put out a new album this year, each worth a listen.

I was fortunate enough to get tickets to both the matinee and evening show, and it was a worthwhile experience. The set lists were almost identical, though.

The recently re-opened Once Ballroom in Somerville, Mass. was a fitting choice for this quartet of bands. Despite being very recently renovated, the vaguely sticky dancefloor panels, mildly dusty chandeliers, and little bit of carpeting are reminiscent of the venues of high school proms from ‘80s movies. That may not seem like a glowing review, but I cannot imagine that concert anywhere else.

The opening act for both shows was the Chicago-based band Retirement Party, who put out their first full length album Somewhat Literate in May. They were, without a doubt, the best opening act I’ve ever seen. Granted, I’ve only seen four openers before, but they blew the others right out of the water. They opened both sets with “Shoulder It,” a song off their new album. While most people were checking out the merch tables or talking with their friends, they quietly set up. With the first strum of the guitar, the audience was mesmerized. Magenta lights rained down on Retirement Party, making them dreamlike and fantastical.

Retirement Party would have a little fun after each song or so, interacting with the audience. Avery Springer, their lead singer, would engage the audience with little jokes and banter, but she expressed a sincere gratitude. It was clear that they were living their dream, and were so appreciative of the audience allowing that. That sincerity continued in tracks like “Are you my mother” and “Jericho. ” For the matinee show, they closed with Passion Fruit Tea, a fan favorite of their new album, while for the evening show, they ended with “Meet me in Montauk,” a song of their first EP, Strictly Speaking.

After such a strong start, people were ready to listen when awakebutstillinbed prepared on stage. They opened with “opener,” the opening song on their first album, what people call low self​-​esteem is really just seeing yourself the way that other people see you. I’m not personally a huge screamo fan, but I have endless respect for Shannon Taylor, awakebutstillinbed’s lead singer. The raw emotion in her voice when belting out these heartfelt, meaningful lyrics that she wrote was staggering. Additionally, guitarist Martin J. Hacker-Mullen had tremendous stage energy. All of the performers in each show played fantastically and were really into their sets. Hacker-Mullen, however, seemed to be living through the music in a way I’d never seen. For the first time, I saw a guitarist do a jumping jack knife while playing! It was unreal.

Following awakebutstillinbed was Just Friends, the penultimate act. They provided one of the kookiest, most tranquil events I’ve experienced at a concert. They opened with a “Supersonic,” a fan favorite off their new album, Nothing but Love. Eric Butler, lead singer, guitarist, and occasional trombonist of Mom Jeans, whipped out his trombone for the set and played alongside Chris Palowitch, Just Friends’s resident trombonist. The dancefloor was a little open before the song started playing, but after that signature trombone introduction, everyone rushed toward the band; bodies were pressed so close it was airtight. Lead singer Sam Kless belted out, “How you feelin’?” and the audience shouted back “Supersonic!” with the utmost enthusiasm.

After that ridiculously energetic experience, Kless asked the audience, “So what’s the vibe like right now?” He did this for both shows; for the first show, however, he had a little fun with it. He asked the audience to all take a seat. Everyone in the venue (band members included) sat down as Just Friends shot the breeze with the audience for a good ten minutes. After Just Friends joked around, they got right back to the music, playing classics like “Flex” and “Never Gonna Bring You Down.” At one point, Kless told us to “part like the red sea,” and he just hopped off the sage and ran through the audience. They closed the matinee with one of their most popular songs, “Welcome Mats,” and closed the evening show with “Worry,” a personal favorite off their new album.

After over two hours of anticipation, Mom Jeans finally graced the stage. Just a disclaimer, Mom Jeans may very well be my favorite band, so I might have a little bias. That said, they were beyond incredible. Not only where they stellar performance-wise, but they brought a communal aspect to the performance, which I’ve never before experienced. Whether they played a classic downer song like “death cup” or one of their happier songs like “you can’t eat cats Kevin,” the entire audience was singing along, clumping together and trying to belt out their achingly real lyrics. Even though I know maybe three people in the audience, it felt as though we were all a big, united family, sappy as it sounds. Back to the musicality, everyone seemed to be hitting their stride across the set. Guitarist Bart Thompson absolutely shredded on “Shred Cruz,” drummer Austin Carango went to town on “Death Cup,” bassist Gabe Paganin grooved hard on “Danger Can’t,” and of course lead singer Eric Butler sang his heart out on “Scott Pilgrim V. My GPA.” They closed with “Scott Pilgrim V. My GPA,” inviting everyone to the after party, which I unfortunately could not attend.

Though seeing all four bands twice was a lot, it was worth every second to discover both how great these bands were live, and to strengthen my love for their material.