Men’s Hockey: 2017-18 Season Features Exciting Matchups, New Captains

By: Jake Reiser

While the Boston University men’s hockey team may be in its off-season, the annual banquet gives a sense of promise for the year to come for the Terriers. Not only was the new leadership squad announced, BU hockey fans have some dates to circle on their calendars to signal the start of a new men’s hockey season.

With the graduation of Doyle Somerby, a new captain is necessary for the Scarlet and White. On Saturday, it was announced that the newest captain will be rising senior defenseman Brandon Hickey, returning to Commonwealth Avenue rather than going to the Calgary Flames organization.

“It’s definitely the biggest honor I’ve ever been given,” says Hickey. “I’m obviously very excited for it, but at the same time, I’m a little nervous. Some great captains have come before me and BU has a very historic hockey program. I’m just really excited for the opportunity and can’t wait for the season to start.”

Rising juniors Jordan Greenway and Bobo Carpenter, as well as rising senior Nikolas Olsson will be the assistant captains behind Hickey for the 2017-18 campaign.

“I know that all of my teammates wanted me to lead the way, that’s great,” said Greenway. The current sophomore had been floated as a flight risk, the Minnesota Wild draft pick seemingly having a role in the NHL. However, Greenway chose to stay with the Terriers for another season to continue to develop and win more championships.

Olsson dons an “A” for the second year in a row, after injury cut his season short for the second year in a row as well.

For Bobo Carpenter, the sophomore contributed in a top six role last season, ending fourth on the Terriers in points, with career highs in goals and assists.

“It’s definitely a huge honor,” says Carpenter. “Everyone thrives and drives themselves to hopefully get [a letter], and I’ve been lucky enough to get one, so it’s really an honor and I’m thankful for that.”

As far as the schedule goes for next season, BU will begin at home on September 30th against the Union Dutchmen. Minnesota State-Mankato will travel to Agganis Arena, as BU faces a WCHA team for the first time since Denver University was a member of the conference in 2012. Speaking of the defending national champions, the Denver University Pioneers will also make the trek to Boston, as the Terriers traveled to Colorado last season.

Notable away games include a return to Red Hot Hockey against Cornell at Madison Square Garden, facing Terrier transfer Brandon Fortunato in his return to college hockey at Quinnipiac, and a two-game swing out west against the Arizona State Sun Devils.