REVIEW: TIGERS JAW @ ROYALE 10/14

Photo Credit: Kris Herrmann

Review by Jaya Kohol

The weather couldn’t have been more fitting on Monday night as I hopped off the T at Boylston, eager to see midwest-emo icons Tigers Jaw. The rain was starting to abide as I rushed past passersby, gripping my jacket against the cutting wind. This time of year, I always find myself gravitating towards listening to a lot of Midwest emo, so when the opportunity came to see some of the best in the genre, I couldn’t help but take it. 

Although originally from Scranton, PA, not quite the midwest United States, Tigers Jaw gained steadfast success within the midwest emo genre, joining the likes of Marietta, Free Throw, and The Hotelier. The band was originally formed by high school friends Ben Walsh and Adam McIlwee in 2006, taking their distinct name from a song by slowcore legends The Microphones. Soon, the two were joined by backup vocalist and keyboardist Brianna Collins. 

The band released two albums in 2006; however, it wasn’t until the release of their self-titled album in 2008 that the band saw critical acclaim. This album, the cover graced with a now iconic picture of pizza, was chock-full of passionate whining vocals backed by bouncy guitars that emanated the quintessential midwest-emo sound. Songs such as “Plane vs. Tank vs. Submarine” and “Chemicals” quickly became fan favorites and, to this day, remain the band’s most streamed songs. The release of their self-titled record established the band as a staple of the midwest-emo genre label they had been given. The band would go on to release several more albums, the most notable two being “Charmer” in 2014 and “I Won’t Care How You Remember Me” in 2021. 

In 2013, vocalist Adam announced that he would be leaving the band to pursue his experimental side project, Wicca Phase Springs Eternal. Despite this, Brianna and Ben continued to record music and tour with bands such as Touche Amore and Foxing. Today, Ben acts as the main vocalist, and the band has become a five-piece, welcoming Teddy Roberts on drums, Colin Gorman on bass, and Mark Lebiecki on guitar. Tigers Jaw demonstrates a clear commitment to their fanbase and expanding their sound. 

At The Royale, the room slowly started to fill as the openers, Snoozer and Oso Oso, took the stage one after the other. Under the glow of pink and blue stage lights, the two bands put on incredible performances in preparation for Tigers Jaw to take the stage. At 9:45 on the dot, Tigers Jaw emerged from the wings and quickly took up their instruments, immediately kicking off their set with “Follows” from their album “Spin.” The guitar tone was bright, meshing perfectly with the dancy drum beat. After only two songs, a push-pit opened in the middle of the crowd as young kids began to dance and shove each other around, smiles plastered on their faces. I watched as two kids hoisted themselves up to crowd surf up to the stage and launched themselves right off back into the crowd. 

Eventually, Ben switched over to an acoustic guitar, strumming the instantly recognizable opening chords to “Never Saw It Coming.” The already enraptured crowd came alive even more to sing along to the opening lyrics, “I learned a lot about falling in love when I fell out of love.” Ben’s whining and passionate voice echoed through the whole room, joined by the collective voices of the crowd. Much to my surprise, the setlist consisted mostly of songs from their album “Charmer,” as Ben announced it was the 10th anniversary of the album this year. The band continued to play each song with indescribable energy, the whole room buzzing and dancing to every song. 

As the show drew towards its end, Ben and Brianna took a moment to thank the crowd for coming, mentioning how much they love playing in Boston and have been doing so for some time. The band played two final songs, the title track “Charmer” and “Hum” from the aforementioned album, “Hum” being a personal favorite of mine. To this day, the song remains a soundtrack to the rainy days I lived in suburban New Jersey, where I grew up. As the song concluded, Ben once again thanked the crowd for their energy, leaving the audience clapping and cheering as they exited the stage. The house lights came on, and it was time to make my way back home. I couldn’t have asked for a better performance and rushed out of The Royale into the cold with my headphones in, relistening to Tigers Jaw’s self-titled album, humming along.