REVIEW: KNOCKED LOOSE @ ROADRUNNER 6/1

Review by Tegan Retzer

On Saturday night, four of hardcore’s heaviest hitters hit the stage in Boston. The Roadrunner hosted Knocked Loose, Show Me The Body, Loathe, and Speed. It’s a venue I’ve frequented, but I have never seen it at full capacity. That night the venue was thick with hardcore energy, and the floor filled up quickly.

Speed, a hardcore band from Australia, kicked off the night. This tour marked their first trip to the United States. Fans buzzed with anticipation, and the band got the crowd moving. From my view in the pit, it was a great experience.

Show Me The Body (SMTB) took the stage next. Known for their unpredictable and punk spirit, they hit the stage hard. They managed to stir the crowd more effectively than the previous act, leading to moshing and crowd surfing. At some point, I had my spine dislodged by one of the concert goers. Needless to say, the crowd came alive, and Show Me The Body’s intense and confrontational performance riled up and challenged the audience. This was my fourth time seeing SMTB live, and I can confidently say that this was the best performance I have seen from them yet. 

Loathe followed, taking hardcore to heavier, grittier heights, their music seamlessly transitions between aggressive, distorted metalcore vocals and thick guitar chords to floating melodies. With songs like “Is It Really You?” the audience moved in unison to the beat. This created a rare, organic synchronization with swaying arms and cell phone lights. 

Finally, Knocked Loose entered the stage with their signature glowing cross from their new album “You Won’t Go Before You’re Supposed To,” and the crowd roared. The energy surged with crowd surfing and all of the hardcore moves in the book. I did not expect them to play “Suffocate” because it was not listed in any setlist I could find before the show. A call to action during the song resulted in a mass of bodies ricocheting off each other.

Knocked Loose delivered a mix of new material and fan favorites, and I think this helped to maintain a high level of engagement throughout their set. I don’t think there was a single person in the crowd who did not “ARF, ARF” during their performance of the song “Counting Worms.” The crowd left with smiles and maybe a few bruises.

It was a mesmerizing show, with Knocked Loose showcasing everything great about metalcore. The moshpit remained safe and enjoyable, and I saw some of the best crowd etiquette I have seen in years. Knocked Loose, now three albums deep, have ascended impressively in the hardcore scene. Their latest release, “You Won’t Go Before You’re Supposed To,” solidifies their position and suggests they are ready to lead the next generation of heavy music.

Knocked Loose’s set was the highlight, and they demonstrated their growth in confidence and influence. It was a testament to the bands’ talent and a glimpse into the bright future of the hardcore scene.