Men’s Lacrosse: Terriers have a day for the record books against Lafayette

Junior attack Vince D’Alto carries the ball downfield during the first quarter of a 21-11 win over Lafayette on Mar. 26, 2022. D’Alto set a program record for points with 14 in the game.

By Joe Eachus

In a Saturday afternoon for the record books at Nickerson Field, the No. 12 Boston University men’s lacrosse team handled the Lafayette Leopards, 21-11.

The Terriers (7-1, 4-0 PL) are off to their best start to conference play in program history.

“Just really pleased with the way we rebounded [following the loss to Harvard],” BU head coach Ryan Polley said. I thought we set the tone really well in the first quarter, and we gained momentum. It was methodical.”

Junior face-off man Conor Calderone tied an NCAA Division I record with 32 face-off wins, going 94.1 percent at the X.

Junior attack Vince D’Alto also made his way into the record books, notching seven goals and 14 points to set a new record for BU for single-game points, and eclipsed the century mark for his collegiate career.

D’Alto’s performance was also good enough to tie for third all-time in NCAA Division I play.

The 2022 Tewaaraton Watch List addition was quick to praise his teammates for his stellar performance.

“[Setting the record] is an amazing feeling,” D’Alto said. “I couldn’t have done it without my teammates. I played great, but I couldn’t have played great without my teammates around me.”

The three-headed dragon of D’Alto, senior Timmy Ley, and junior Louis Perfetto once again proved themselves to be unstoppable, combining for 14 goals and 25 points in the contest.

An eight-goal outburst from BU in the first quarter built an insurmountable lead early, as the Terriers rode their early momentum to a comfortable lead by halftime.

Lafayette threatened a massive comeback late, going on a 6-1 run at the end of the third, which included two man-up scores, forcing BU to keep their starters in.

But BU scored five of the last six goals in the game to cruise to the end with the win.

D’Alto also has high hopes for the rest of the season for the cruising Terriers. “This team is one of the best teams I’ve every played for. Obviously we want to win the Patriot league, but I think this team can absolutely go farther.”

BU is back in action next Saturday at Nickerson Field against Patriot League foe Navy as part of a men’s-women’s double-header. Opening face-off is scheduled for noon.