Field Hockey: Rebecca Janes notches first collegiate goal in win over Colgate

By: Greg Levinsky

BOSTON – Sneaking behind a bevy of defenders, Boston University freshman Rebecca Janes collected her first collegiate goal on the first penalty corner attempt in Saturday’s 2-0 win over Colgate University. Janes started the play as the inserter, but crashed the net and corralled a ball into the cage off a deflection.

Janes’ goal and sophomore Petra Hall’s fourth tally of the season was enough for the Terriers (6-3, 2-0 Patriot League) first victory on New Balance Field in their conference home opener.

“I saw the ball and the goal, figured I’d pop it in there,” Janes said. “Nothing too difficult. The corner was good. Colgate’s defense was good there, but I got it in.”

55-img_0157_29374236877_o
Rebecca Janes scored her first career goal on Saturday. Photo by Greg Levinsky

Sophomore striker Ailsa Connolly serves as the primary inserter, but was on the sidelines at the time of the first corner. Janes was the next option to insert. Associate head coach Sarah Shute said Janes found herself “in the right spot at the right time.”

“She’s feisty around the goal,” Shute said. “She has a nose for the goal and was in a good spot to put it in.”

BU exploded for 19 shots, 12 of which were on target. The Terriers limited the Raiders (2-6, 0-1 Patriot League) to just one shot on goal and four shots total.

“We did a really good job of keeping them out of our circle and trying to keep the ball in their end of the field,” Shute said.

Colgate freshman goalkeeper Anna Unger saved 10 shots and performed well despite the onslaught of missiles in her direction. The Terriers collected 11 corners and capitalized on two. Shute said her team didn’t start with the vivacity she expected, but lauded their response.

“Conference games are always good to win, so we feel good about that,” Shute said. “It’s good to be home after two away trips. I think we did make it a little harder on ourselves, but we got it done.”

Hall doubled the lead in the 29th minute after Janes scored in the 13th minute off her own rebound.

Janes got her chance and made sure to make it count.

“I was like, ‘you’re trying to mark me, but I’ll get in there before,’” Janes said. “I saw the shot come and the deflection on the goalie, so I was like, ‘bam.’”

Greg Levinsky can be reached at glevinsk@bu.edu. Follow him on Twitter @GregLevinsky