Men’s Basketball: Freshmen Show Promise in loss to Bucknell

26993657_2000266363555028_7046700606595945474_n.jpg

By: Greg Levinsky

Even after he graduated from Pine-Richland high school in Pittsburgh, Penn. last June, Andrew Petcash wasn’t sure where he would be playing in college.

When a scholarship opened up at Boston University (11-10, 7-3 Patriot League), Petcash signed on to join Walter Whyte, Javante McCoy and Sukhmail Mathon to make up the class of 2021. In Sunday afternoon’s 91-79 drubbing at the hands to Patriot League leading Bucknell, all four freshmen had shining moments.

“I friggin love these guys, I do,” Boston University Head Coach Joe Jones said of his team. “They’ve been great, and we’ll be ready to battle on Wednesday. We got smacked tonight.”

Whyte and McCoy have each started all but two of the Terriers’ 21 games and all 10 conference match-ups. Whyte collected a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds in 27 minutes. McCoy added eight points, four rebounds and two assists without committing a turnover.

27067030_2000266233555041_68161483906780583_n
Javante McCoy has proven to be a valued piece of the Boston University men’s basketball team. (Nicole Erison/2018).

Mathon inhaled eight rebounds, six on the offensive glass, and garnered 10 points in 21 minutes of action. Petcash totaled eight points and two assists in a career-high 18 minutes.

“We gotta fight, and I saw some semblance of it,” Jones said. “I thought Javante McCoy had a couple possessions where he was fighting. Suk had some where he was fighting, I just didn’t see it from a lot of other guys.”

After getting fouled and making a layup, a media timeout forced all of the Terriers to the bench. Petcash was met with a loving embrace from Jones.

“I had forgotten about the play that he made, so I wanted to make sure he knew that was a big time play for a freshman. I wanted him to know that and feel good about it,” Jones said.

Then, he sunk his free throw. All of Petcash’s points came in the second half. Whyte performed well with 11 points and seven rebounds after halftime.

BU turns their attention to a Wednesday night tilt with Loyola Maryland (7-14, 5-5 Patriot League). The Terriers look to avenge a 68-65 loss on Jan. 5 in Baltimore, Md.