Q&A With BU Men’s Basketball Newest Freshman: Andrew Petcash

16463591_1837065356541797_6499196911884638601_o

By: Greg Levinsky

BOSTON — Fall Sports are in full swing across college campuses, but soon it will be time for basketball teams to take center stage across the landscape of collegiate athletics. The Boston University Men’s Basketball team brings in four freshmen in Walter Whyte, Sukhmail Mathon, Javante McCoy and Andrew Petcash. Petcash was a late addition to the roster after Kyle Foreman’s departure from the team; he took the time to sit down with WTBU Sports to finish off the recruiting series.

Greg Levinsky: Describe your game or compare yourself to a current NBA player for our reference.

Andrew Petcash: I try to make everyone better. If I have to score, I’ll score. If I have to get the ball to other guys, I’ll get the ball to other guys. I just try to play really hard. I model my game after Nik Stauskas and JJ Reddick, I try to do things like they do.

GL: What do you feel is the skill in your arsenal that is most ready for the college level?

AP: My shooting ability.

GL: Why did you choose to come to BU instead of opting to go to New Hampton and attract more scholarship offers?

AP: Boston is an awesome school with a great education. You get to play really good basketball as well.

GL: You grew up in Pittsburgh, a city without an NBA team. What were the main basketball teams that you followed growing up? Which games would you go to?

AP: When I was younger Lebron just got there [to Cleveland]. Me and my dad would drive to Cleveland, it’s like an hour, and watch him. Those games are always awesome. Now I’m a 76ers fan. I’m trusting the process, this year should get good. They should get better.

GL: What is the most important aspect of your game that you need to improve on to be successful for BU?

AP: Strength, quickness and speed. Adjusting to the physicality of the college game.

GL: What was the best part of your visit here?

AP: The city, the atmosphere. It’s always buzzing and I really liked that. I didn’t see that at a lot of other schools and now that I’m here it’s always upbeat. It’s pretty cool.

GL: Did you grow up playing against anyone on BU or around the Patriot League?

AP: I didn’t grow up playing against anyone from BU, but in AAU I played against a lot of Patriot League guys. Max Mahoney, my roommate, we have the same exact birthday. I definitely played him some time. We both recognize each other but we don’t know where we played each other.

GL: You are a part of a recruiting class that contains three wings. BU already has established high minute off-ball guards in Cedric Hankerson, Destin Barnes, Tyler Scanlon and Cheddi Mosely. How does having all of those players in front of you motivate you?

AP: What’s nice about BU is a lot of people get chances to play. We have a lot of good guys so any night can be anyone’s time to shine. I think as a team you want good competition and you want good guys around you to get everyone better and to win. I don’t see it as a downside at all.

GL: If there is one player on the team you could guarantee you would beat in a 1-on-1 game, who would it be?

AP: I guarantee you I could beat Tyler Scanlon, because I know exactly how he’s going to play. He’s just going to shoot threes and he’s going to get goofy when he thinks he’s got it in hand. But, I’m gonna take him to the hole and easily beat him.

GL: If you could upset any team in the NCAA tournament at some point in your career, what team would it be and why?

AP: Definetly any team from Pittsburgh. Just because I feel like they undermined me, they didn’t give me as a local kid a shot. Duquesne or Pitt for sure. I’d love to beat them and I’d love to beat them badly.

The men’s basketball season kicks off on November 10 at Case Gym when the Terriers play host to rival Northeastern University. Tip-off is slated for 7:30 PM.