Men’s Hockey: Terriers Unnoticed Stars Shining

By: Marisa Ingemi

The hype around Boston University heading into the season was unquestioned, and most of it had to do with the NHL talent the team boasts. Between Dante Fabbro, Clayton Keller, Patrick Harper, Chad Krys, and a plethora of others, the Terriers were hearing all summer about how good they were.

“It’s nice to win Draft Day, but that doesn’t translate to winning hockey games,” said head coach David Quinn. “The Patrick Currys and the Nick Robertos of the world, and guys like that, and Cloonan and [Gabriel] Chabot and the guys that don’t get a lot of attention, are key key players for us. They stepped up for us tonight.”

On Tuesday night, a victory over Harvard, it was the likes of Patrick Curry and Nick Roberto finding the back of the net for the Terriers.

“The thing I like about Curry is he attacks that offensive blue line, he doesn’t slow up to make a play, he just attacks and gets the puck to the net and it goes in.” said Quinn, who moved Curry to the second line upon the return of Ryan Cloonan to the lineup on Tuesday.

Curry scored the goal to put it away for the Terriers in the third period that made it 5-3.

“I had some speed coming through the middle,” Curry said. “I saw he was going a bit slower than me, so I grabbed the puck off his stick, and then I was in on the goal so fast, I tried to just put it low blocker, and luckily it went in.”

With Keller out and the team also suffering injuries to Niklas Olssen, and Cloonan and John MacLeod just returning to the lineup last night, the Terriers have had to get creative with their options.

“I think obviously the first thing you talk about is the skill of our team, but we have a bunch of guys here who like to work, who like to grind and put pressure on other team’s defensemen,” said defenseman Doyle Somerby. “Luckily Pat [Curry] gets rewarded tonight for that and that was good to see.”

With Keller ahead of schedule and ten days until BU is back on the ice, things might finally start to be looking up for the Terriers.