Terriers Come From Behind, Split Axemen, 4-2

By: Jake Reiser

BOSTON — In Boston University’s first preseason game, the No. 3 Terriers overcame a first period deficit to beat the Acadia Axemen (Canada) 4-2 at Agganis Arena on Saturday.

BU senior and alternate captain Danny O’Regan opened up the scoring for the Terriers, as he banked a pass off of Acadia defenseman Tyler Ferry, ricocheting past Axemen goalie Brandon Glover.

“I saw Ahti [Oksanen] cut into the slot and I just tried to throw a little backhand dish to him,” O’Regan said. “I didn’t even know what it hit, and I ended up getting a lucky bounce.”

Acadia would not stay down for long as Remy Giftopoulos tipped home a shot from Tyler Ferry to equalize, before Zachary Franko scored on the breakaway three minutes later to give the Axemen a lead.

After finding themselves down 2-1 in the second period, freshman defenseman Shane Switzer tied the game by skating deep into the offensive zone, on a play with fellow freshman and third line right-winger Bobo Carpenter, and deposited a cross-ice feed into a wide-open net.

Entering the third period knotted at two goals apiece, first star of the game and second line center Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson got the first of his two goals in a similar manner as Switzer, taking a cross-ice pass from sophomore A.J. Greer and tipping it past a sprawling Glover.

Later in the third, Forsbacka-Karlsson was assessed an elbowing penalty, and while coming out of the box, took a feeder pass and was hauled down by an Acadia defender on a breakaway. The referees issues him a penalty shot, and with a backhand-forehand deke, he put BU up for good with a two goal lead.

“I saw [Glover] was kind of out of position, and I felt like it was the right move to go with,” said Forsbacka Karlsson.

Along with Forsbacka-Karlsson’s elbowing penalty in the third, the Terriers were on the penalty kill three times more times, but not to the dismay of Head Coach David Quinn.

“We were shorthanded eight minutes of the third period,” said Quinn. “I was actually glad we were, because I wanted to work on some penalty killing and get a feel of what our penalty kill was all about.”

Connor LaCouvee got the start in net, but both he and Sean Maguire played half of the game each, with Maguire earning the preseason win.

The Terriers face off next against the Union Dutchmen in Schenectady, N.Y. on Saturday, October 10th, at 7:00 p.m.