The Newest Attraction: Meet BU’s Newest Stars

By: Brian DeAlmeida

BOSTON- The Boston University Women’s Ice Hockey team, after beating the University of Guelph 3-0 on Saturday, now turns towards their first regular season game against UConn on Friday.

Along with the 19 returning members of the team, a three woman Class of 2019, a call-up from the club hockey team, and a transfer from the University of New Hampshire will begin their journey on Saturday towards winning five straight Hockey East championships.

Here are the five new Terriers who look to add a considerable amount of depth to a team voted to finish second in the pre-season coaches poll.

#16 Sammy Davis, Freshman, F, Pembroke, Mass

BU_Athletics_091115_203
Photo Credit: BU Athletics/Heratch Ekmekjian

Bio: Davis brings a lot of experience to an already stacked BU offensive attack. She was an assistant captain for the U.S. Under-18 Team, as she scored two goals and an assist on a team that won gold at the 2015 IIHF Women’s World Championship. She was also named to the 2014-2015 American Family Insurance All-USA Girls Hockey Team.

Expectations: “I’m excited to play with girls that are all great players and it’s a big step up from high school and club. I’m really happy that I get to play with players that played for the Canadian national team and USA national team. It’s really awesome to get that experience and it will help me grow as a player on and off the ice.”

Why BU?: “I’ve always wanted to go to BU since I was little. I wanted to play Division I hockey and I knew when I was younger and came to the BU camp, I fell in love with it, and on my tour I knew it was the place I wanted to be. I love the coaches, I love the city, and I’m excited.”

#26 Conor Galway, Freshman, D, Athens, Ont.

BU_Athletics_091115_535

Bio: Galway will be a key defensive cog in a Terrier’s blue line that lost the likes of Shannon Doyle and Shannon Stoneburgh to graduation. She played two seasons for the Toronto Aeros and captained the team in 2014-2015, where they made the PWHL Final Four a year after claiming a silver medal in 2013-2014. She had 10 points off 2 goals and 8 assists in her final season.

Expectations: “I think I’m going to have to play “stay at home defense,” but as a team as a whole, I think we are going to have a good season. We have a lot of really great leadership still on the team. We had some great players leave last year, but we still have a lot of great players left in the program.” 

Why BU?: “It’s the perfect mix. It’s a great school, great hockey program, the coaches are great, and the team’s great.”

#24 Mary Grace Kelley, Freshman, F, Natick, Mass

BU_Athletics_091115_411

Bio: Kelley has the unique distinction of being the only brother-sister duo to take the ice for BU in the same season, as her brother Tommy plays for the Men’s Ice Hockey Team. Before BU, she led Assabet Valley to a 2015 state title, where she earned the 2015 Massachusetts Hockey Sportsmanship Award. She also competed for Dexter Southfield, where she earned New England All-Scholastic and Division II First Team All-Star honors.

Expectations: “I think we’re going to have a really strong team. This year, there’s a lot of older girls that brought the freshman in. I hope to get a lot of playing time, but you can’t guarantee it with all the strong upperclassmen.”

Why BU?: “My brother was part of the reason I came here. It’s nice having him around campus, because if I ever need anything, he’s there to give me advice or make fun of me and it’s nice because now I know a lot of the men’s team too. I started looking here when he was a freshman and I really just fell in love with the coaches and the area.”

#25 Alexis Crossley, Junior, D, Cole Harbour, N.S.

BU_Athletics_091115_013

Bio: After a year of sitting out due to NCAA transfer rules, Crossley is excited and ready to join the BU blue line. In 2013 at UNH, she collected 24 points off of 7 goals and a team-high 17 assists on her way to being named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team, as well as Hockey East Second-Team All-Star. In 2012, she competed for Team Canada in the IIHF World Women’s U18 Championship, where the team claimed gold.

Expectations: “Obviously we want to be consistent, we want to have fun, and ultimately, we want to win hockey games. It would be nice to win a 5th Hockey East Championship in a row, and I mean obviously it’s every teams goal in the NCAA to win a National Championship.”

Why BU?: “When I first started looking at schools, UNH and BU were at the top of my list. I ultimately picked UNH because I loved the campus feel and everything felt comfortable there, but things didn’t work out and I’m thrilled to be at BU.”

#1 Ashlyn Aiello, Sophomore, GK, Belmont, Mass.

BU_Athletics_091115_525

Bio: Aiello will join BU in her sophomore season after competed for the BU independent club hockey team during her first year on campus. She led the squad to the IWCHL championship, where she was the MVP of the title game.

Expectations: “I expect to make it into the championship, have a fun run with this team, play with these awesome players, and have a great time.”

Why BU?: “I was playing in a PDP when coach came up to me and told me he needed a third goalie, and asked if I wanted to join. It’s a really great opportunity, especially since club was only a hour a week and a few games, so this is a huge step up.”