BU URBAN Summer 2020 Research and Travel* Awards
*Due to COVID-19, we expect that most conferences and meetings will be online this summer and into the fall. Regardless, we encourage trainees to apply for funds to participate in gatherings of interest (registration fees, etc.), whether or not travel will be involved.
We are excited to announce a funding opportunity for all BU URBAN Trainees that supports research or participation in conferences, meetings, or symposia (referred to hereafter as “conferences”). All trainees are encouraged to apply. Awards are made in support of:
- Research in interdisciplinary topics that span both Biogeoscience and Environmental Health in urban systems; or
- Participation in a conference within the year (by June 2021) to either
- present trainee research; or
- gain exposure to a field outside the trainee’s primary discipline (Biogeoscience, Environmental Health, or Statistics); Trainees are not required to present to obtain funding for this award.
We will likely fund up to $1,500 for research awards and $1,000 for conference awards. Please include all costs in case we have additional funds available. For research grants, we encourage the submission of collaborative proposals between trainees in different disciplines. Such proposals have the potential to be funded at a higher level than individual proposals. Note that trainees can apply for funds to participate in only one conference in each call for proposals.
Note: We will prioritize trainees that have participated actively in program activities.
The application deadline is Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 5 pm. Please send your proposal and CV as one PDF to Evan Kuras (URBAN@bu.edu) with “URBAN Trainee Award Summer 2020” as the subject of your email.
A small faculty committee will evaluate the proposals and we will announce award decisions by early July.
Required Format for One-Page Proposal and CV
Please read and follow the instructions below carefully. Applications that do not follow the requirements below will not be considered.
- Your proposal is limited to one page (single space in 12-point Times font; page limit includes References Cited).
- Your proposal should include the following:
- A title with your name(s) below it
- Type of proposal below:
- Research, or
- Conference with presentation, or
- Conference without presentation
- Applications for Research
- Describe the novelty and importance of the proposed research and how it advances the fields of both Urban Biogeoscience and Environmental Health
- Be specific about your experimental and/or study design.
- Applications for Conference Participation in which you will Present:
- Include the conference name, date, location, and website, as well as the session that you have submitted an abstract or will submit an abstract to. If you have already submitted an abstract, please include a copy of the abstract submission confirmation as an additional page. If you have not submitted your abstract, please include your draft abstract as an additional page.
- Describe the novelty and importance of the work you will present at a conference and how it advances the fields of both Urban Biogeoscience and Environmental Health
- Applications for Conference Participation where you will not present:
- Include the conference name, date, location, and website.
- Explain how the experience will strengthen your interdisciplinary training.
- On a separate page, include a budget that clearly provides the details of all of your expenses, how much you are requesting from BU URBAN, and how other funds will be obtained.
- For research applications: Include specific information about all budget items, including manufacturer’s name, model number, etc.
- For conference applications: Include all specific information about registration, abstract fees, etc.
- There is no page limit for your CV.
- Your proposal, CV, and all accompanying files (e.g., conference abstract) should be sent together as one PDF.
- For collaborative proposals, include CVs of all trainees involved.
- Please use this file name format: “2020-Summer-Application-LastName.pdf” (e.g., 2020-Summer-Application-Kuras.pdf)
For reference, BU URBAN will offer three cycles of Research and Travel Awards each year: summer (June deadline), fall (October deadline), and spring (March deadline).
Please reach out to Evan Kuras (URBAN@bu.edu) if you have any questions.