by Andrew M. Parlato

A CAREER, OR JUST A JOB?

When does a job end and a career begin? It’s often hard to tell – and I’m honestly not certain which one I’m currently pursuing. The difference between a job and a career can sometimes come down to opportunity, and in the field of emerging media, there are opportunities abound.

With the rise of emerging media comes an expansion in job opportunities. The projected job growth for positions ranging from web developers to search marketing specialists to public relations practitioners is anywhere from +7-20%. As social media has proliferated so many fields as a communication platform, job opportunities continue to grow. In my own field of higher education fundraising, the average tenure at a given institution is only a few years.

TAKING THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

When I was 18 years old, I was a pre-med student studying biology. My favorite part of this career path (and I call it a “career path” purposefully) was its certainty. I knew that I was signing up for an 8-year academic course of study, followed by a multi-year residency, and possibly a fellowship thereafter. It takes years to become a doctor, but my favorite part was that the path was well-marked. Then, Chem 101 (and BU’s infamous grade deflation) took the wind out of my sails.

I made a conscious choice to change my course of study to something entirely more flexible: Public Relations and Psychology. My positive experience in my undergraduate studies led to my pursuit of a master’s degree in Emerging Media Studies at Boston University. I no longer have a clear career path, but I think that I prefer it this way.

COM
Photo: Boston University’s College of Communication; Source: About.com

WHY STUDY EMERGING MEDIA?

Emerging media is a highly applicable area of study: It can be applied to almost any other field. A student of new media can find a job in:

• Business
  • Public Relations
  • Advertising
  • Marketing
  • Entertainment
  • Web Design
  • Medicine
  • Information Technology
  • Fundraising

Every office can benefit from an employee with knowledge of technology, trends, and how people interact with new media.

In my field of higher education philanthropy, I use my EMS skills daily (or on the regular,” as the kids are saying). We fundraise via online platforms like MobileCause, spread social media content via SocialToaster, and conduct advertisement campaigns via Facebook and Twitter. My Emerging Media degree will only serve to benefit my professional skills, interoffice partnerships, and the quality of my work.

If you have any questions about the Emerging Media Studies program at Boston University, check out our website for more information!

ANDREWAbout Andrew

I am a motivated young professional with experience in higher ed administration and fundraising. As a graduate of Boston University, having earned dual bachelor’s degrees in psychology and public relations, I have strong interests in marketing, management, and development. I am currently pursuing my M.A. in Emerging Media Studies at BU’s College of Communication – and loving every moment! Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn.