INTERVIEW: Mustard Plug

WTBU DJ Danya Trommer interviewed Rick Johnson and Jim Hofer of Mustard Plug. The Michigan ska punk band played Montebello Rockfest earlier this month with the likes of Weezer, Dropkick Murphys, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

Danya Trommer: You guys have been around 26 years, and this is your 1818 show. How do you guys keep it fresh?

Rick Johnson: I mean, every show is different.  

Jim Hofer: We do a different setlist every show, we don’t say the same things every show.

DT: So you’re not one of those bands that has a scripted routine?

JH: We just have fun up there.

DT: You both have been in the band since–

RJ: [Turns to Jim] You’ve been in it way longer than me.  

JH: I’ve been in it since ‘96.  

RJ: Probably sometime early 2000’s [for me].  

DT: What were you guys doing before this?

JH: I played in a different ska punk band for six years before that.

DT: What band was that?

JH: It was called the Exceptions from Detroit.  

DT: What made you come to Mustard Plug?

JH: They toured and the Exceptions didn’t. [Laughs]

DT: Speaking of touring, I know you guys did Back To the Beach in April.  Now, playing exclusively ska festivals like that, is the experience any different than playing rock festivals like this? Like the environment at all, the interactions with bands?  

JH: Well we were friends with almost every band there [laughs], so that was different. I don’t think we know–

RJ: We are friends with zero bands here. [Laughs]

JH: I don’t think we really know anyone here.  

DT: So what’re you guys doing for hanging out with other people? Have you met any of the other bands?
RJ: Zero people.  [Laughs] Not because they’re not friendly–

JH: Just we haven’t really come across anyone.  Although I think our drummer gave bad directions to DJ Yella [of NWA] earlier.  

DT: Oh no!

JH: He sent him in the wrong direction.  I think that’s the only person we’ve met so far.  

RJ: However, two years ago, I gave good directions to DJ Yella.

DT: You had another interaction with DJ Yella?

RJ: Yeah [Laughs].  

DT: Was it at this festival?

RJ: It was at a different festival.

DT: Just completely randomly ran into DJ Yella again?

RJ: Yeah, it was also very rainy, conditions much like today.  

DT: Maybe he just appears when it rains. You summoned him.  

RJ: Like a rain fairy.

DT: I would believe it. So, I know that in 2014 you guys came out with Can’t Contain It, which was crowdfunded, yeah?

JH: True, it was.

DT: What would you say is the biggest creative process differences between Big Daddy Multitude [debut album] and Can’t Contain It? Because I know the band has evolved a lot over that span of time.  

RJ: Well, the biggest difference is we’re both in the band now [laughs]. I was 13 when that record came out. So lots of things have changed.  

JH: Here’s some trivia for you. My other band opened for Mustard Plug for the Big Daddy Multitude release show in Grand Rapids.  

DT: Oh, dang! So it’s kinda like fate a little bit.  

JH: Yeah, a little bit.

DT: So, can’t exactly answer that question, but, while you guys have been in the band, have you felt like you guys have evolved at all in terms of your creative process?

JH: I think we’re just better. I don’t think we do anything differently. Just over the course of a million years, you get a little better. [Laughs]  

DT: Makes sense. That’s alright, it’s a super vague question for me to ask.  

RJ: I introduced the minor chord. [Laughs]

JH: We have a minor chord now.

DT: I know on Can’t Contain It you guys collabed with people like Dan P of MU330 and I think you also collabed with Bill Stevenson of Black Flag?

JH: He has produced four of our albums.

RJ: Three.

JH: Well, and the greatest hits.  

RJ: That doesn’t count. [Laughs]  

DT: So you’re not new to mixing with other people?

RJ: We’re new to mixing with other people playing on a record. That last record is the first record that outside people played on that weren’t in the band.  

DT: How did that feel?

RJ: Truthfully, it was a placeholder.  

JH: Rick is the one who recorded Can’t Contain It.

DT: It was your personal studio, right?

RJ: Yeah.

JH: So he just called up his friends to play some stuff on it.  

RJ: The reason that happened too is because when we were writing those songs, we had placeholders for where something should happen and then it just never happened, so it was getting down to crunch time, and I was just like “Something needs to happen here, I’m going to call friends and that’s fine,” and apparently it was.  

DT: So basically just conveniently filling in?

RJ: The only reasons that those people that are on that record are on that record is because they were able to record themselves then send it to me.

DT: So were you friends with everyone that contributed?

RJ: Yeah.

DT: So it wasn’t like a “makin’ new connections” thing?  

RJ: No, like everybody that’s listed on that record is somebody who’s either been friends with me or the band for years.

DT: Ok, one last question…So uh…nevermind not going to ask that question because it’s about starting out in Grand Rapids and starting your own scene, but you guys weren’t in the band.

RJ: Nope. [Laughs]

DT: Now I know that Never Get Out of the Van, your 2008 DVD, is the only DVD that you guys have right now. There’s lots of bands with lots of DVDs; do you think you’re ever gonna release another one?

RJ: No.

JH: You know what, the thing is in the early days of the band, we had like a video camera and they taped like everything, but we haven’t done that since then, so we have no footage.

DT: Gotcha, so there’s not really anything to put in.  

RJ: No, also that format is not viable anymore. The only people that buy DVDs are truckers at truck stops.

DT: But nothing for streaming ever or anything? A live DVD?

RJ: No, that’s a lot of work for not a lot of-

DT: Not a lot of payoff.

RJ: Well not even payoff, just like, when every ding-dong has a cellphone in their pocket and can film a show of dubious quality, it also devalues a professional shot thing. Because your live show is just gonna get lost in the millions of–

JH: That’s true. You can go on YouTube and see a million crappy Mustard Plug videos.