Self-Care: Not Just for Therapists

One of my favorite aspects of this course has been the emphasis on self-care and evaluating self-mental well-being. Two+ years ago when you asked me about what my self-care looked like as an over-tired and overworked 911 dispatcher, I likely would have laughed and asked what that was. Now, as a trauma clinician with a caseload including sexual assault, homicide bereavement, and horrific stories of verbal and physical abuse, the term self-care is engraved in my vocabulary and routine.

Many of us might participate in self-care on smaller levels without even knowing it- exercising, getting our nails done, listening to music, etc. However, taking to time to truly reflect and put energy into our mental and physical well-being takes things a step further. The National Institute of Mental Health reports self-care to be helpful in managing stress, increasing energy, and lowering the risk for illness by doing things focused on improving mental, physical and emotional well-being (NIMH, 2022). Self-care can look different for everyone but is important for all to incorporate it into routine regardless of someone’s job. While it’s true, someone in my position or in law enforcement, in the medical field might be more immediately exposed to trauma and vicarious traumatization, the practice of self-care certainly doesn’t only pertain to those individuals. Some examples of self-care could be:

-exercise

-eating healthy foods

-deep breathing or meditation

-time spent with animals

-drinking enough water

-time spent focusing on hobbies

-setting a healthy sleep routine and goal

For those of us who find it difficult to do things for ourselves, or find ourselves invalidating the need to focus on ourselves, starting to incorporate self-care can start slow and as one small thing a day. For example, if I have had a long day already and am feeling the weight of my client’s traumas, I will take 10-20 minutes to sit in the big comfy chair in my office and shut my eyes and take some deep breaths. Something that might seem simple can really have such a big impact. One of the best forms of self-care I have discovered is being able to vent and release such weight to my coworkers who can relate and understand what I am going through. Sometimes opening up to others about the struggles we face can be quite intimidating and force us to feel as though we are alone in feeling the weight of the world. Put yourself out there- start to incorporate the aspects of self-care into your routine little by little and watch it change your life.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (n.d.). Caring for your mental health. National Institute of Mental Health. Retrieved December 16, 2022, from https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/caring-for-your-mental-health