Genocide, Slavery, and the Traumatic effects on the African American Community

It can be extremely difficult, as a black person, to reflect back on the atrocities that have taken place such as slavery on African American people  in our country. The outrageous monstrosity of what has occurred and has been afflicted on the African American race for many, many years imprinted trauma in a ways that can not be removed. There are ways my people and I have been traumatized by the memories and are still having to navigate through injustices that still happen systemically in our Justice system. Police shootings, mass incarceration and even unfair opportunities when it comes to employment.

That said, my community still has more to work to do. At times I feel that we fall in line with what has been norm to us and don’t take a stand on the mistreatment that is handed to us. Like the Reserve Police Battalion 101, discussed in our course readings, I have realized that although genocide was happening via Holocaust, these soldiers ended up overlooking, because of the trauma endured, ordinary men became murderers.

Aryanne