Yoga is Beneficial for inmates with PTSD

I will be talking about how successful yoga is as a treatment for people in prison with PTSD. Yoga also will help the inmates when they get out of prison. Prisoners see a lot of things during their time in prison. They witness different types of violence such as murder, suicide, rape, etc. Sometimes they may not actually see it with their own eyes, but they hear about it in detail. That can still be traumatizing. Juveniles and mothers may have face also of different traumatic events before entering prison. During their time in prison, the goal should be to help them deal with trauma day to day. This will help become a better person for when they are release. As I have mentioned in my post, yoga is used for pain management and for people with a variety of psychological diagnoses. The type of yoga that was talked about this week is trauma- informed yoga which helps with stress safety, predictability, structure, and repetition. The yoga poses in this type is to focus on their breathing and embodiment. So, in other words they are taking over their mind and body. (Rousseau,2022) Yoga is starting to more recognized in prisons. It is understood that yoga will not fit all problems for incarcerated people, but it is a start and is said to play a major role.

As I have mentioned in a few of my post throughout the semester, my uncle was recently released from prison. He joined the yoga program in his correction facility. He is currently 63 years old so you would not think an elderly black man would be in a yoga class. He told me he really enjoyed it and it helped with his pain and anger. He has been diagnosis with PTSD, and I see him do yoga in his room 3 times a day. I can say that I have seen a big change in him since he has first joined yoga. My family use to call and check on his mental health all the time so hearing and now seeing the improvement yoga has had on him is very good. When COVID hit the USA, yoga classes in prisons were suspended. As far as I know, yoga classes are not being held still but some inmates still practice some of the yoga techniques and share with other inmates that did not get a chance to go. My uncle told me once the state allowed prisons to go outside again in groups and to common area sometimes, there would be some people off to the side doing yoga. Yoga has a major impact on these inmates.

In an article I read about a yoga program at York Correctional Institution in East Lyme, CT, a 41-year-old inmate would usually cut herself to deal with anxiety, depression, and PTSD. It was her way to forgive herself. Now after graduating the program, the marks are barely noticeable. The yoga program in York Correctional Institution is a little different from other in Connecticut. This program is a 200-hour course that will allow inmates to become certified yoga teachers. They are allowed to teacher yoga after they are release. This gives an opportunity to find a job they will like and still help with their mental health while they teach others. Deputy Warden Senerth said, “There’s evidence it really works with people who are victims of trauma. You have that fight or flight reaction. It helps them to just regulate and be in that moment.” (Florin,2017) I believe all prisons should have yoga programs like this. Yoga is always gaining control of your mind and body.

Reference:

Florin, K. (2017, January 15). Yoga spreading mindfulness inside Niantic Prison. The Day. Retrieved April 2022, from https://www.theday.com/article/20170114/NWS04/170119588 

Rousseau, D. (2022). Module 4: Pathways to Recovery: Understanding Approaches to Trauma Treatment. Trauma and Crisis Intervention. MET CJ 720 02. Boston University Metropolitan College.