Planning to receive a reimbursement for travel or research expenses?
Pro tips before you spend any money:
- Make sure to save all receipts and any other physical documentation (order forms, registration confirmation, ticket information, etc.).
- When purchasing multiple things from one vendor, request an itemized receipt.
- BU URBAN cannot reimburse you for membership fees to professional societies or organizations.
- BU URBAN cannot reimburse you for alcohol expenses.
- If you are buying physical supplies for a research award, consult with Evan (URBAN@bu.edu) about your purchasing plan. BU URBAN cannot reimburse you for non-food sales tax or anything you have purchased from Amazon with your personal credit card. Instead, we have options internally for purchasing supplies for you from BU approved vendors or Amazon.
COVID-19 Note: If you are booking conference travel and lodging or paying registration fees, please discuss your plan with Evan to determine which expenses can be paid for through BU directly. In the event that a conference is cancelled, it will easier to process the reimbursement through BU.
When you’re ready for your reimbursement:
Please complete the form linked here, leaving the following lines blank: Account/Grant Number and PI/Supervisor Signature. For Purpose and Details of Expense, write “BU URBAN – ” and the type of reimbursement you are requesting (e.g., Spring 2020 Travel Grant, Internship Travel Support, etc.). After completing the form, email the following documents to URBAN@bu.edu:
- The completed form.
- A table of itemized expenses with all relevant information (dates, descriptions, vendors, notes etc). If driving, the GSA Mileage Reimbursement Rate is $0.58/mile. Include your name and BUID at the top of this table.
- In a single pdf, provide evidence of each expense, such as scans of receipts, order forms, registration confirmation, and ticket information.
- If driving, include a map of your round trip with the total mileage visible.
- If you attended a conference, include a screenshot of the conference homepage that includes the name, location, and dates of the conference.
- Please align the order of your evidence with the order of your itemized expenses.
- Please only include one receipt per page.
If possible, please bring the original hard copies of all receipts to Evan in BRB 431 or arrange to hand them off at the next URBAN event.
Final notes: For Research & Travel Awards, funds must be spent within 12 months of receiving the award. For Travel Awards, reimbursements are due within 3 months after the dates of your meeting. In addition, awarded funds are intended for the projects described in your application. If research or travel plans change from the initial application, please email Evan Kuras with a request for a re-purposing of funds along with a justification. If it is deemed that the re-purposing of funds remains aligned with the original application, your request will be approved.