ADC Neuropathology Core
The BU Alzheimer’s Disease Center (ADC) Neuropathology Core leads the BU ADC Center’s neuropathological analyses of brains donated by research participants. The Boston University Brain Bank of the ADC Neuropathology Core not only documents neuropathological findings of Center research registry participants, but also of brain donors from important related BUSM studies such as the Framingham Heart Study and the Centenarian Study. Within the BU ADC the Neuropathology Core’s role is the following:
- Conduct intensive neuropathological analyses using brains from deceased research participants;
- Assist with analyses to determine how well clinicians’ diagnoses of AD and related dementias correlate with neuropathological diagnoses;
- Provide brain tissue to other investigators for use in neuropathological research on AD;
- Assist with outreach efforts to increase donations from African American participants;
- Lead clinical-pathological case conferences to educate neurology fellows, faculty, and staff;
- Provide autopsy reports to families of deceased ADC Brain Donation Program participants.
For more information about the ADC Brain Donation Program or research taking place at the BU Alzheimer’s Disease Center visit http://www.bu.edu/alzresearch/.