About Us

Kristin A. Long, PhD (Director)

Dr. Long was born and raised in Easton, PA. She graduated from Princeton University in 2003 with a degree in Psychology and a certificate in Neuroscience. She worked in the Marketing Department at Lutron Electronics for several years before returning to graduate school. Dr. Long earned her doctoral degree in Clinical and Bio-Health Psychology from the University of Pittsburgh and completed her clinical internship and postdoctoral fellowship training at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University in Providence, RI. She joined the faculty at Boston University in July, 2014. Dr. Long’s research employs qualitative, quantitative, and community-based methods to examine developmental, cultural, and family influences on health. She has carried out her research primarily in the context of childhood cancer, asthma, autism, intellectual disability, and adolescent sexual risk. More recently, her research has expanded to consider family and cultural influences on development over the transition to adulthood. Dr. Long is a licensed clinical psychologist in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and has experience developing and delivering psychotherapy interventions for individuals, families, and groups across outpatient, inpatient, medical, school, and forensic settings. In her current position at Boston University, Dr. Long is involved in undergraduate and graduate training within the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, and she is the Director of the Child and Family Health Lab.

kalong@bu.edu

http://www.bu.edu/psych/faculty/kalong/

Postdoctoral Fellows

Christina Amaro, PhD

Dr. Amaro is a postdoctoral research fellow at Boston University and Nemours Children’s Health System. She received her doctorate from the Clinical Child Psychology Program at the University of Kansas and completed a clinical internship at Nemours/A.I. duPont Hospital for Children. Her research focuses on examining social-ecological factors that influence health outcomes and adjustment to pediatric chronic medical conditions. She is also interested in evaluating and developing psychosocial interventions for children with chronic medical conditions and their families.

Graduate Students

Emily Pariseau

alt="photo of graduate student Emily."

Emily is a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. She received her bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Trinity College. Following graduation she worked as a Research Assistant at Yale University, evaluating parenting interventions for mothers with substance abuse disorders. She then transitioned to a Research Coordinator position at Boston Children’s Hospital, where she gained experience conducting research with children suffering from a wide range of medical and psychological diagnoses, as well as their families. During graduate school, she hopes to further explore the complex risk and protective factors that impact youth development, as well as empirically informed interventions that attempt to mitigate these risks. She is fascinated by the parent-child relationship and the impact that family dynamics have on psychosocial development, particularly in families who have a child with a chronic medical condition.

Monica Gordillo

alt="photo of graduate student Monica."

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. Originally from California, I received a B.A. degree in Psychology from Princeton University and then worked as a research assistant for 2 years at the NYU Child Study Center. While at NYU, I worked on clinical-behavioral and functional brain imaging studies focusing on individuals (children, teens, and young adults) with autism spectrum disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.  While in graduate school, I am interested in researching the cultural health disparities affecting individuals with autism and their families. I am currently working on studies examining different cultural perspectives related to having a child with autism and developing an intervention for future planning for siblings of adults with autism.

Jenna Sandler Eilenberg

alt="photo of graduate student Jenna."

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. I received a B.S. degree in Psychology from the University of Florida and a Master’s in Public Health from Boston University. After graduation, I worked in Pediatrics at Boston Medical Center, where I coordinated outcome assessment for a series of studies evaluating a depression prevention intervention for low-income, urban mothers. I then transitioned to the BU School of Public Health, where I worked as a project manager on a clinical trial aiming to improve early identification and service linkage for young children at risk for autism spectrum disorder. During graduate school, I am interested in researching the role of cultural and family factors in the transition from adolescence to adulthood for youth with autism.

Ariel Blakey

alt="photo of graduate student Ariel."I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. I received a B.A. in Psychology from Spelman College, where I primarily conducted qualitative research on familial well-being through narratives in college-aged students. I also conducted research at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) identifying factors involved in parental decision-making and its impact on pediatric patients with chronic illness. I then conducted research at Children’s National Health System, investigating the role of caregiver employment and knowledge of child’s disease history in the context of caregiving stress. While in graduate school, I am specifically interested in researching how external factors, such as social determinants of health, affect quality of life and psychosocial outcomes in pediatric patients with a chronic illness, especially Sickle Cell Disease.

Kathryn Davis

alt="photo of graduate student Kathryn."

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. I received a B.A. in Gender and Sexuality Studies from Brown University and an M.A. in Psychology from Brandeis, where I studied developmental antecedents of problematic sexual behaviors among juveniles who had sexually offended. I then joined the Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), where I worked as a Research Coordinator on studies aimed at identifying new biological markers––including epigenetic signatures and markers derived from baby teeth––of childhood adversity exposure. During graduate school, I hope to further explore how parent and child stress and coping influence one another in the context of families who have a child with a chronic medical condition.

Jay Wilson

Hi! I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at B.U. I received my B.A. at Princeton University and a Masters at B.U. in psychology. Prior to my Masters, I taught at a school for children with autism for 2 years, using trauma-informed applied behavior analysis and worked as a case manager for a student. I am interested in stigma, especially amongst our theoretical constructs (e.g. theory of mind), and how these stigmas work to structure our environment in ways that disable individuals with autism and reduce their quality of life. I am particularly interested in studying barriers to services for individuals with autism as they transition into adulthood.

Guest Lab Members

Phoebe Brosnan

alt="photo of guest lab member Phoebe."I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University in the Family Development and Treatment Laboratory under the direction of Dr. Martha Tompson. After earning my B.A. degree in English and creative writing from Barnard College, I completed post-baccalaureate studies in psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University. My research interests center on family-based interventions for the treatment of depression and anxiety, with a particular interest in under-served minority populations. I am collaborating with the Child and Family Health Lab to learn more about the qualitative interviewing process, in part through working on a project aimed at investigating barriers and facilitators of implementing psychosocial care for siblings of children with cancer.

Nicole Cardona

Nicole is a clinical doctoral student in the Transdiagnostic Treatment Lab. She is interested in emotions, minority stress, trauma, borderline personality disorder, and mental health in marginalized communities. Nicole works with Dr. Long and the Child & Family Health Lab on studies related to stress and coping in family members of children with medical or developmental diagnoses (i.e., cancer diagnoses; false positive autism diagnoses). Nicole received her B.A. in Psychology and Health: Science, Society, and Policy from Brandeis University in 2015, and has previously worked at the Boston Child Study Center and within McLean Hospital’s adolescent DBT continuum.

Staff

Marcella Mazzenga (Lab Manager)

alt="photo of lab manager."

I am a recent graduate from Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Boston University with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. As a volunteer in the Child and Family Health Lab, I had the opportunity to work on various research projects, such as a doctoral student’s project examining sleep quality and sleep hygiene in children with cancer. I also completed an honors project examining sleep education and training among psychologists in the clinical setting in the United States and Canada. At present, I am part of the study team for SibACCESS which focuses on the development and implementation of sibling program for families of children with cancer. This past fall, I began a Master’s program in clinical social work, where I plan to focus my training on pediatric chronic illness populations.

Staff

Caroline Hollahan

alt="photo of research assistant Caroline."

I am a recent graduate of the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences with a Bachelor’s degree in Human Physiology and a minor in Psychology.  I look forward to learning from the other lab members and to look more in-depth into health based psychology projects. I am currently pursing my Masters in Public Health at Boston University School of Public Health.

Undergraduate Research Assistants

Julia Duda

Rachel Meyer

I am a third-year undergraduate student majoring in Psychology and minoring in Public Health and Religion. Through my work at the lab, I’ve been able to learn more about social determinants of health and expand my knowledge of psychology and public health. I hope to pursue a Masters in Public Health after I graduate.

Pamela Ruiz

I am a third-year undergraduate studying Philosophy and Neuroscience with a minor in Psychology. I have varying interests but look forward to joining the lab as the impact cultural, racial, and socioeconomic differences have on chronic illnesses interests me. After graduation, I am hoping to pursue a PhD in either Philosophy of Mind or Behavioral Neuroscience.

Shumin Guan

I am currently a sophomore at Boston University majoring in Human Physiology and pursuing the pre-med track. While I volunteered at Boston Medical Center, I helped with the transition of children with epilepsy by conducting social determinant surveys for the medical team. I am interested in having a more in-depth insight into health equity and learning more about autism as I join the Child and Family Lab. I am excited to get to work closely with families as I have always enjoyed working with kids.

Ben (Huanrui) Wei

I am a sophomore at Boston University majoring in mathematics and psychology. I joined the Child and Family Health Lab in Fall 2020. I am interested in exploring the impacts of chronic diseases on family members, mainly regarding their psychological and emotional functioning and the coping strategies for people whose siblings are diagnosed with autism or cancer. I also have a broad interest in developmental psychology, family psychology, and epigenetic mechanisms in other autoimmune diseases. I am still exploring my future research paths.

Freya Zhu

I am a first-year student studying Business Administration and Management at the Questrom School of Business. Despite being a business student, I’ve always been interested in healthcare and the sciences and hope to pursue an intersection of both fields in the future. I’m interested in learning about mental disorders and how culture and family view these disorders. A field that I might pursue in the future is healthcare consulting. 

Carissa Mastrangelo

I am a third-year undergraduate student at Northeastern University majoring in Psychology with a minor in Computer Science. After graduation, my goal is to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology. I am excited to explore the transition to adulthood for adolescents on the autism spectrum, and I hope to gain a better understanding of how this process varies across cultures.

Lab Alumni

Cory Griffin

Marina Ritchie

Michelle Leon

Samantha Sims

Aksheya Sridhar

Maya Zegel

Lydia Chevalier

Allie Keller

Dana Bruck-Segal

Amelia Dudley

Diego Davila

Dylan Tam

Alejandra Perez-Ramirez

Grace Alessi

Phyllis Lun

Andrea Chu

Quintana Carter

Trisha Katz

Anjali Oberoi

Taylor Cowser

Olivia Sokol

Esmeralda “Ezzy” Adolf

Hyun “Monica” Kim, PhD

Deniz Kizildag

Charlotte Hood

Wenyan Fang

Hannah Levin

Jeannie Phan

Rachel Watson

Andrea Morante

Elizabeth K. Schmidt, PhD