About Us

Kristin A. Long, PhD (Director)

alt="photo of Lab Director."

Dr. Long was born and raised in Easton, PA. She graduated from Princeton University in 2003 with a degree in Psychology and a certificate in Neuroscience. She worked in the Marketing Department at Lutron Electronics for several years before returning to graduate school. Dr. Long earned her doctoral degree in Clinical and Bio-Health Psychology from the University of Pittsburgh and completed her clinical internship and postdoctoral fellowship training at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University in Providence, RI. She joined the faculty at Boston University in July, 2014. Dr. Long’s research employs qualitative, quantitative, and community-based methods to examine developmental, cultural, and family influences on health. She has carried out her research primarily in the context of childhood cancer, asthma, autism, intellectual disability, and adolescent sexual risk. More recently, her research has expanded to consider family and cultural influences on development over the transition to adulthood. Dr. Long is a licensed clinical psychologist in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and has experience developing and delivering psychotherapy interventions for individuals, families, and groups across outpatient, inpatient, medical, school, and forensic settings. In her current position at Boston University, Dr. Long is involved in undergraduate and graduate training within the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, and she is the Director of the Child and Family Health Lab.

kalong@bu.edu

http://www.bu.edu/psych/faculty/kalong/

Postdoctoral Fellows

Elizabeth Schmidt, PhD

alt="photo of Postdoctoral Fellow Elizabeth."

Elizabeth K. Schmidt is a postdoctoral fellow in the Families and Autism Research Lab. She received her PhD and Masters of Occupational Therapy from the Ohio State University. Her research interests are in promoting sexual and reproductive health of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities through accessible sexual health education.

Christina Amaro, PhD

Graduate Students

Emily Pariseau

alt="photo of graduate student Emily."

Emily is a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. She received her bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Trinity College. Following graduation she worked as a Research Assistant at Yale University, evaluating parenting interventions for mothers with substance abuse disorders. She then transitioned to a Research Coordinator position at Boston Children’s Hospital, where she gained experience conducting research with children suffering from a wide range of medical and psychological diagnoses, as well as their families. During graduate school, she hopes to further explore the complex risk and protective factors that impact youth development, as well as empirically informed interventions that attempt to mitigate these risks. She is fascinated by the parent-child relationship and the impact that family dynamics have on psychosocial development, particularly in families who have a child with a chronic medical condition.

Monica Gordillo

alt="photo of graduate student Monica."

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. Originally from California, I received a B.A. degree in Psychology from Princeton University and then worked as a research assistant for 2 years at the NYU Child Study Center. While at NYU, I worked on clinical-behavioral and functional brain imaging studies focusing on individuals (children, teens, and young adults) with autism spectrum disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.  While in graduate school, I am interested in researching the cultural health disparities affecting individuals with autism and their families. I am currently working on studies examining different cultural perspectives related to having a child with autism and developing an intervention for future planning for siblings of adults with autism.

Jenna Sandler Eilenberg

alt="photo of graduate student Jenna."

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. I received a B.S. degree in Psychology from the University of Florida and a Master’s in Public Health from Boston University. After graduation, I worked in Pediatrics at Boston Medical Center, where I coordinated outcome assessment for a series of studies evaluating a depression prevention intervention for low-income, urban mothers. I then transitioned to the BU School of Public Health, where I worked as a project manager on a clinical trial aiming to improve early identification and service linkage for young children at risk for autism spectrum disorder. During graduate school, I am interested in researching the role of cultural and family factors in the transition from adolescence to adulthood for youth with autism.

Ariel Blakey

alt="photo of graduate student Ariel."I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. I received a B.A. in Psychology from Spelman College, where I primarily conducted qualitative research on familial well-being through narratives in college-aged students. I also conducted research at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) identifying factors involved in parental decision-making and its impact on pediatric patients with chronic illness. I then conducted research at Children’s National Health System, investigating the role of caregiver employment and knowledge of child’s disease history in the context of caregiving stress. While in graduate school, I am specifically interested in researching how external factors, such as social determinants of health, affect quality of life and psychosocial outcomes in pediatric patients with a chronic illness, especially Sickle Cell Disease.

Kathryn Davis

alt="photo of graduate student Kathryn."

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. I received a B.A. in Gender and Sexuality Studies from Brown University and an M.A. in Psychology from Brandeis, where I studied developmental antecedents of problematic sexual behaviors among juveniles who had sexually offended. I then joined the Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), where I worked as a Research Coordinator on studies aimed at identifying new biological markers––including epigenetic signatures and markers derived from baby teeth––of childhood adversity exposure. During graduate school, I hope to further explore how parent and child stress and coping influence one another in the context of families who have a child with a chronic medical condition.

Charlotte Hood

Wenyan Feng

Guest Lab Members

Phoebe Brosnan

alt="photo of guest lab member Phoebe."I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University in the Family Development and Treatment Laboratory under the direction of Dr. Martha Tompson. After earning my B.A. degree in English and creative writing from Barnard College, I completed post-baccalaureate studies in psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University. My research interests center on family-based interventions for the treatment of depression and anxiety, with a particular interest in under-served minority populations. I am collaborating with the Child and Family Health Lab to learn more about the qualitative interviewing process, in part through working on a project aimed at investigating barriers and facilitators of implementing psychosocial care for siblings of children with cancer.

Nicole Cardona

Nicole is a clinical doctoral student in the Transdiagnostic Treatment Lab. She received her B.A. in Psychology and Health: Science, Society, and Policy from Brandeis University in 2015. Prior to joining BU’s clinical program, Nicole worked as a clinical & research assistant at the Boston Child Study Center, and as a counselor within McLean Hospital’s adolescent DBT continuum. She has also worked as a research assistant at Brandeis’ Sex, Development, and Aggression Lab and McLean Hospital’s Laboratory for the Study of Adult Development. Nicole is interested in studying emotion avoidance and invalidation, borderline personality symptoms, life-threatening behavior, marginalized populations, and accessibility. Nicole is working with Dr. Long and the Child & Family Health Lab to study disparities in youth health outcomes.

Staff

Marcella Mazzenga (Lab Manager)

alt="photo of lab manager."

I am a recent graduate from Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Boston University with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. As a volunteer in the Child and Family Health Lab, I had the opportunity to work on various research projects, such as a doctoral student’s project examining sleep quality and sleep hygiene in children with cancer. I also completed an honors project examining sleep education and training among psychologists in the clinical setting in the United States and Canada. At present, I am part of the study team for SibACCESS which focuses on the development and implementation of sibling program for families of children with cancer. In the fall, I will begin a Master’s program in clinical social work, where I plan to focus my training on pediatric chronic illness populations.

Research Assistants

Deniz Kizildag

alt="photo of research assistant deniz."

I am an undergraduate junior studying Human Development and Cultural Anthropology. I have several research interests looking at individual and family functioning while living with an illness or disability. I am interested in research on culturally appropriate care for families in which a member of the family is living with a disability, and adjustment of children with developmental disabilities to school settings. After graduation, I hope to work with children in school and camp settings before applying for a PhD in Developmental Psychology or Human Development.

Caroline Hollahan

alt="photo of research assistant Caroline."

I am a recent graduate of the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences with a Bachelor’s degree in Human Physiology and a minor in Psychology.  I look forward to learning from the other lab members and to look more in-depth into health based psychology projects. I am currently pursing my Masters in Public Health at Boston University School of Public Health.

Hannah Levin

alt="photo of research assistant Hannah."

I am a senior studying Behavior and Health in Sargent, with a minor in sociology. My main research interest involves the family structure, particularly in times of stress. After graduation, I am planning to get a Master’s in either Behavioral Medicine or Marriage and Family Therapy, and I have hopes of later pursuing a PhD and getting involved with an academic setting.  

Jeannie Phan

alt="photo of research assistant Jeannie."I am currently an undergraduate senior majoring in Public Health and minoring in Biology. I have experience working in research operations and I also tutor biostatistics and statistics. My research interests vary and include analyzing racial and socioeconomic disparities in health outcomes, pediatric health, developing interventions for families with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental disorders, and tackling obesity in America. Upon graduation, I would like to earn my Masters in Public Health and eventually apply to a doctoral program for epidemiology.

Rachel Watson

I am an undergraduate senior majoring in Psychology, Spanish, and Public Health. This is my first semester working in the lab, and I am excited to learn more about cultural and developmental influences on health. I have past experience working in an Autism Research lab on campus. My research interests vary but include the development and implementation of interventions to reduce disparities in health outcomes due to different social contexts as well as other psychosocial research that combine my background in Psychology and Public Health. After graduation, I will be finishing my final year of my Master’s in Public Health and hope to later pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology.

Andrea Morante

Lab Alumni

Cory Griffin

Marina Ritchie

Michelle Leon

Samantha Sims

Aksheya Sridhar

Maya Zegel

Lydia Chevalier

Allie Keller

Dana Bruck-Segal

Amelia Dudley

Diego Davila

Dylan Tam

Alejandra Perez-Ramirez

Grace Alessi

Phyllis Lun

Andrea Chu

Quintana Carter

Trisha Katz

Anjali Oberoi

Taylor Cowser

Olivia Sokol

Esmeralda “Ezzy” Adolf

Hyun “Monica” Kim, PhD