About Us

Kristin A. Long, PhD (Director)

Dr. Long was born and raised in Easton, PA. She graduated from Princeton University in 2003 with a degree in Psychology and a certificate in Neuroscience. She worked in the Marketing Department at Lutron Electronics for several years before returning to graduate school. Dr. Long earned her doctoral degree in Clinical and Bio-Health Psychology from the University of Pittsburgh and completed her clinical internship and postdoctoral fellowship training at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University in Providence, RI. She joined the faculty at Boston University in July, 2014. Dr. Long’s research employs qualitative, quantitative, and community-based methods to examine developmental, cultural, and family influences on health. She has carried out her research primarily in the context of childhood cancer, asthma, autism, intellectual disability, and adolescent sexual risk. More recently, her research has expanded to consider family and cultural influences on development over the transition to adulthood. Dr. Long is a licensed clinical psychologist in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and has experience developing and delivering psychotherapy interventions for individuals, families, and groups across outpatient, inpatient, medical, school, and forensic settings. In her current position at Boston University, Dr. Long is involved in undergraduate and graduate training within the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, and she is the Director of the Child and Family Health Lab.

kalong@bu.edu

http://www.bu.edu/psych/faculty/kalong/

Andrea Chu (Lab Manager)

Untitled

I currently work as lab manager and research assistant at the Child and Family Health Lab. As a Latina, I am drawn to the intersectionality between culture and mental health service use. My research interests include health disparities, and inequity in accessibility to treatment and diagnosis of developmental disorders, particularly in relation to autism within the Latino community. I received my BA in Psychology and Sociology from Boston University.

Emily Pariseau

Pariseau_Pic

Emily is a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. She received her bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Trinity College. Following graduation she worked as a Research Assistant at Yale University, evaluating parenting interventions for mothers with substance abuse disorders. She then transitioned to a Research Coordinator position at Boston Children’s Hospital, where she gained experience conducting research with children suffering from a wide range of medical and psychological diagnoses, as well as their families. During graduate school, she hopes to further explore the complex risk and protective factors that impact youth development, as well as empirically informed interventions that attempt to mitigate these risks. She is fascinated by the parent-child relationship and the impact that family dynamics have on psychosocial development, particularly in families who have a child with a chronic medical condition.

Monica Kim

MonicaKim

I am a doctoral student in Clinical Psychology at Boston University. I received a B.S. degree in Psychology from UC San Diego and M.S. degree in Neurobiology from Korea University. My research interest involves the effect of sleep on cognitive and mental health, and I have been involved with various epidemiologic studies that investigate how habitual sleep and sleep disorders influence emotion and neuropsychological performance in adults. My main project at BU involves investigating the role of sleep in cognition at the Vietnam Era Twin Study of Aging (VETSA), and I am collaborating with Dr. Long to expand my knowledge in behavioral sleep medicine to diverse settings and populations. At the Child and Family Health Lab, I am currently working on a project that aims to examine how parenting style interacts with sleep hygiene and sleep quality in children with cancer.

Grace Alessi

602963_4952243165178_1405071648_n  

I am a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences studying Psychology and Philosophy. My research interests are predominately anxiety and depression treatment, but I am eager to learn about every aspect of Psychology and I also hold a position at the Center for Anxiety and Depression Disorders to supplement my research interests. When I heard about Dr. Long’s Child and Family Health lab at a research symposium, I grew very interested in learning about Health Psychology and how to make sure families are getting access to the resources they need and deserve. In the Child and Family Health Lab, I am currently working on a literature review of the psychosocial impacts childhood cancer has on the family, with my main focus being cancer’s effects on siblings of children with cancer. In the future, I hope to obtain a research tech position in the greater Boston area and receive my P.H.D. in Clinical Psychology. 

Anjali Oberoi

Anjali Oberoi_003890_@  

I am currently an undergraduate student at Boston University studying Neurobiology and Public Health. I am interested in understanding the adjustments to childhood illness that many families must make upon receiving a diagnosis. At the Child & Family Health Lab, I have worked through the BU Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) on a QI project addressing the perceived benefits of and the impact of demographic factors in accessing Sibling Programs at the Dana Farber Boston Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Center. I am currently involved in a Pediatric Oncology Student Training (POST) project through Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation working on improving support of siblings of children with cancer through a community-academic partnership aimed at translating and disseminating research findings into actionable resources.

Alejandra Perez-Ramirez

I am an undergraduate student at Boston University majoring in Psychology and minoring in Mathematics. My love for working with children led me to pursue a career in Psychology. After doing some volunteer work in the Boston Twin Project Lab, I became more interested in doing more research. The BU Child and Family Health Lab drew my attention because they do research on the effects that childhood illness has on other members of the family and I went through a similar situation as the participants in this study when I was younger. I want to learn more on what kind of effects exists and how to help those who need it. I hope to pursue a job in a related field to be able to help kids and families in the future!

Amelia Dudley

lab

I am currently a senior at Boston University studying psychology and public health.  My love for working with children in combination with spending a semester working at a hospital in London lead me to become more interested in the many psychosocial aspects that affect illnesses in children and their siblings.  In the future, I hope to pursue a career in pediatric psychiatric nursing, where I’ll be able to provide assistance to children and their families who are suffering from a variety of illnesses or disabilities.  Working in the Child and Family Health Lab has helped me further my understanding in important issues regarding parent and sibling attitudes towards a child with different illnesses and disabilities.  I hope that in the future I will be able to greatly help families struggling with different diagnoses.

Dylan Tam

4099

Dylan is a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences at Boston University studying Psychology, Linguistics and Japanese, and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. His research interests include the cognitive mechanisms and behavioral manifestations of empathy and the factors that affect treatment outcomes for marginalized patient populations, especially the LGBTQ community. As part of the Child and Family Health Lab, he will be assisting a study being conducted at Boston Children’s Hospital on the psychosocial adjustment of transgender youth. After graduation, he hopes to pursue a PhD. in Clinical, Cognitive, or Affective Psychology.

Diego Davila

I am a senior at Boston University majoring in Psychology. My research interests are quite broad, ranging from behavioral finance to the psychological symptoms of infectious diseases. Currently, I am interested in the impact of an Autism diagnosis on a child’s family, and how Latino culture can influence this. I hope that my work at the Child & Family Health Lab can both further the scientific body of knowledge and improve our understanding of how to help families caring for a child with an Autism diagnosis.

Lab Alumni

c9036a67-4d79-4c40-a30d-b381456c48ad

Cory Griffin

Marina Ritchie

Michelle Leon

Samantha Sims

Aksheya Sridhar

Maya Zegel

Lydia Chevalier

Allie Keller

Dana Bruck-Segal