About Us

Kristin A. Long, PhD (Director)

Dr. Long was born and raised in Easton, PA. She graduated from Princeton University in 2003 with a degree in Psychology and a certificate in Neuroscience. She worked in the Marketing Department at Lutron Electronics for several years before returning to graduate school. Dr. Long earned her doctoral degree in Clinical and Bio-Health Psychology from the University of Pittsburgh and completed her clinical internship and postdoctoral fellowship training at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University in Providence, RI. She joined the faculty at Boston University in July, 2014. Dr. Long’s research employs qualitative, quantitative, and community-based methods to examine developmental, cultural, and family influences on health. She has carried out her research primarily in the context of childhood cancer, asthma, autism, intellectual disability, and adolescent sexual risk. More recently, her research has expanded to consider family and cultural influences on development over the transition to adulthood. Dr. Long is a licensed clinical psychologist in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and has experience developing and delivering psychotherapy interventions for individuals, families, and groups across outpatient, inpatient, medical, school, and forensic settings. In her current position at Boston University, Dr. Long is involved in undergraduate and graduate training within the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, and she is the Director of the Child and Family Health Lab.

kalong@bu.edu

http://www.bu.edu/psych/faculty/kalong/

Ariel Blakey

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. I received a B.A. in Psychology from Spelman College, where I primarily conducted qualitative research on familial well-being through narratives in college-aged students. I also conducted research at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) identifying factors involved in parental decision-making and its impact on pediatric patients with chronic illness. I then conducted research at Children’s National Health System, investigating the role of caregiver employment and knowledge of child’s disease history in the context of caregiving stress. While in graduate school, I am specifically interested in researching how external factors, such as social determinants of health, affect quality of life and psychosocial outcomes in pediatric patients with a chronic illness, especially Sickle Cell Disease.  

Andrea Chu

Untitled

I currently work as a research collaborator at the Child and Family Health Lab. As a Latina, I am drawn to the intersectionality between culture and mental health service use. My research interests include health disparities, and inequity in accessibility to treatment and diagnosis of developmental disorders, particularly in relation to autism within the Latino community. I received my BA in Psychology and Sociology from Boston University.

Jenna Sandler Eilenberg

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. I received a B.S. degree in Psychology from the University of Florida and a Master’s in Public Health from Boston University. After graduation, I worked in Pediatrics at Boston Medical Center, where I coordinated outcome assessment for a series of studies evaluating a depression prevention intervention for low-income, urban mothers. I then transitioned to the BU School of Public Health, where I worked as a project manager on a clinical trial aiming to improve early identification and service linkage for young children at risk for autism spectrum disorder. During graduate school, I am interested in researching the role of cultural and family factors in the transition from adolescence to adulthood for youth with autism.

Kathryn Davis

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. I received a B.A. in Gender and Sexuality Studies from Brown University and an M.A. in Psychology from Brandeis, where I studied developmental antecedents of problematic sexual behaviors among juveniles who had sexually offended. I then joined the Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), where I worked as a Research Coordinator on studies aimed at identifying new biological markers––including epigenetic signatures and markers derived from baby teeth––of childhood adversity exposure. During graduate school, I hope to further explore how parent and child stress and coping influence one another in the context of families who have a child with a chronic medical condition.

Monica Gordillo

Screenshot 2018-02-26 17.02.43

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. Originally from California, I received a B.A. degree in Psychology from Princeton University and then worked as a research assistant for 2 years at the NYU Child Study Center. While at NYU, I worked on clinical-behavioral and functional brain imaging studies focusing on individuals (children, teens, and young adults) with autism spectrum disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.  While in graduate school, I am interested in researching the cultural health disparities affecting individuals with autism and their families. I am currently working on studies examining different cultural perspectives related to having a child with autism and developing an intervention for future planning for siblings of adults with autism. 

Monica Kim

MonicaKim

I am a doctoral student in Clinical Psychology at Boston University. I received a B.S. degree in Psychology from UC San Diego and M.S. degree in Neurobiology from Korea University. My research interest involves the effect of sleep on cognitive and mental health, and I have been involved with various epidemiologic studies that investigate how habitual sleep and sleep disorders influence emotion and neuropsychological performance in adults. My main project at BU involves investigating the role of sleep in cognition at the Vietnam Era Twin Study of Aging (VETSA), and I am collaborating with Dr. Long to expand my knowledge in behavioral sleep medicine to diverse settings and populations. At the Child and Family Health Lab, I am currently working on a project that aims to examine how parenting style interacts with sleep hygiene and sleep quality in children with cancer.

Phyllis Lun

I am a MA student in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Boston University. I received a B.A. degree in Psychology at University of California, Berkeley, and worked as a lab manager at the Berkeley Early Learning Lab after graduation. During my time at Berkeley, I was involved in various projects such as a cross-cultural study on emotion expression and regulation in preschool children and a transdiagnostic sleep intervention for children and adolescents. At the Child and Family Health Lab, I am working on a project investigating sleep disruptions and related emotional experiences in children with cancer and their parents.

Marcella Mazzenga (Lab Manager)

I am an undergraduate senior in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Boston University studying Psychology with a minor in Italian. While volunteering at the Child and Family Health Lab, I have had the opportunity to work on various research projects, such as a doctoral student’s project examining sleep quality and sleep hygiene in children with cancer. I am currently working on my honors thesis which examines sleep education and training among psychologists in the clinical setting. My current research interests are sleep and sleep related disorders across the lifespan. Upon graduation, I hope to gain research experience in clinical settings with families before continuing my education in a clinical psychology program.

Anjali Oberoi 

Anjali Oberoi_003890_@  I have recently completed my undergraduate studies at Boston University studying Neurobiology and Public Health. I am interested in understanding the adjustments to childhood illness that many families must make upon receiving a diagnosis. At the Child & Family Health Lab, I have worked through the BU Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) on a QI project addressing the perceived benefits of and the impact of demographic factors in accessing Sibling Programs at the Dana Farber Boston Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Center. I am currently involved in a Pediatric Oncology Student Training (POST) project through Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation working on improving support of siblings of children with cancer through a community-academic partnership aimed at translating and disseminating research findings into actionable resources.

Emily Pariseau

Pariseau_Pic

Emily is a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University. She received her bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Trinity College. Following graduation she worked as a Research Assistant at Yale University, evaluating parenting interventions for mothers with substance abuse disorders. She then transitioned to a Research Coordinator position at Boston Children’s Hospital, where she gained experience conducting research with children suffering from a wide range of medical and psychological diagnoses, as well as their families. During graduate school, she hopes to further explore the complex risk and protective factors that impact youth development, as well as empirically informed interventions that attempt to mitigate these risks. She is fascinated by the parent-child relationship and the impact that family dynamics have on psychosocial development, particularly in families who have a child with a chronic medical condition.

Esmeralda “Ezzy” Adolf

Ezzy hails from Washington state where she received her bachelor’s degree in psychology at Eastern Washington University. She received her master’s degree in Applied Developmental and Educational Psychology at Boston College in May of 2018.  Currently, she works at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute where she is responsible for maintaining and supporting the ongoing research activities and documents of the Pediatric Psychosocial Oncology Division. She is also responsible for administering the Psychosocial Assessment Tool (PAT) to families in the Jimmy Fund Clinic.  In the Child and Family Health Lab, she acts as a liaison between DFCI and BU. Her research interests include exploring barriers to psychosocial care in families and patients affected by pediatric cancer. She also has an interest neurocognitive late effects and quality of life outcomes in pediatric cancer survivors. Her goal is to earn a doctoral degree in clinical psychology and work in an academic medical center with families affected by pediatric chronic illness.

Phoebe Brosnan

I am a doctoral student in the Clinical Psychology program at Boston University in the Family Development and Treatment Laboratory under the direction of Dr. Martha Tompson. After earning my B.A. degree in English and creative writing from Barnard College, I completed post-baccalaureate studies in psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University. My research interests center on family-based interventions for the treatment of depression and anxiety, with a particular interest in under-served minority populations. I am collaborating with the Child and Family Health Lab to learn more about the qualitative interviewing process, in part through working on a project aimed at investigating barriers and facilitators of implementing psychosocial care for siblings of children with cancer.

Nicole Cardona

Nicole is a first-year clinical doctoral student in the Transdiagnostic Treatment Lab. She received her B.A. in Psychology and Health: Science, Society, and Policy from Brandeis University in 2015. Prior to joining BU’s clinical program, Nicole worked as a clinical & research assistant at the Boston Child Study Center, and as a counselor within McLean Hospital’s adolescent DBT continuum. She has also worked as a research assistant at Brandeis’ Sex, Development, and Aggression Lab and McLean Hospital’s Laboratory for the Study of Adult Development. Nicole is interested in studying emotion avoidance and invalidation, borderline personality symptoms, life-threatening behavior, marginalized populations, and accessibility. Nicole is working with Dr. Long and the Child & Family Health Lab to study disparities in youth health outcomes.

Quintana Carter

I am a Master’s student in the Psychology department here at Boston University. I graduated with Bachelor of Science degrees in Psychology and in Family & Human Development from Arizona State University. After graduation, I worked for several years in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) where I developed an interest in how the parent-child relationship influences development, with a specific interest in behavioral concerns. I am excited to work in the Child & Family Health lab where I focus on developing an adolescent primary-care PTSD intervention.

Taylor Cowser

Taylor is a junior in Sargent College studying Human Physiology and Public Health. Taylor has been involved in the Child and Family Health lab for 5 semesters so far, working on projects including the SibsFORWARD and Psychosocial Assessment Tool (PAT) studies. She also has been working on an independent project with the PAT, looking at sibling risk levels in families who have a child with cancer.

Caroline Hollahan

I am a junior in the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences studying Human Physiology with a minor in Psychology. This is my first semester in the lab, and I look forward to learning from the other lab members and to look more in-depth into health based psychology projects. After graduation, I am looking to pursue a Masters in Public Health. 

Deniz Kizildag

I am an undergraduate junior studying Human Development and Cultural Anthropology. I have several research interests looking at individual and family functioning while living with an illness or disability. I am interested in research on culturally appropriate care for families in which a member of the family is living with a disability, and adjustment of children with developmental disabilities to school settings. After graduation, I hope to work with children in school and camp settings before applying for a PhD in Developmental Psychology or Human Development.

Hannah Levin

I am a junior studying Behavior and Health in Sargent, with a minor in sociology. My main research interest involves the family structure, particularly in times of stress. After graduation, I am planning to get a Master’s in either Behavioral Medicine or Marriage and Family Therapy, and I have hopes of later pursuing a PhD and getting involved with an academic setting.  

Jeannie Phan

I am currently an undergraduate junior majoring in Public Health and minoring in Biology. I have experience working in research operations and I also tutor biostatistics and statistics. My research interests vary and include analyzing racial and socioeconomic disparities in health outcomes, pediatric health, developing interventions for families with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental disorders, and tackling obesity in America. Upon graduation, I would like to earn my Masters in Public Health and eventually apply to a doctoral program for epidemiology. 

Olivia Sokol

Olivia is an undergraduate senior majoring in Psychology and Film & TV at Boston University. She has multiple research interests including, Anxiety and Related Disorders, PTSD, and ASD. She is interested in exploring the effect of factors such as SES, gender identity, and family and community support on mental health and on treatment outcomes. She is particularly interested in how to make treatment options most accessible and in educating the public about mental health and various treatment options. In the future she hopes to pursue a graduate degree, and to work to support child and adolescent populations.

Lab Alumni

c9036a67-4d79-4c40-a30d-b381456c48adAnjali, Diego, Alejandra, Gracelabgroup

Cory Griffin

Marina Ritchie

Michelle Leon

Samantha Sims

Aksheya Sridhar

Maya Zegel

Lydia Chevalier

Allie Keller

Dana Bruck-Segal

Amelia Dudley

Diego Davila

Dylan Tam

Alejandra Perez-Ramirez

Grace Alessi