Interview #09

Neither hundreds of cockroaches around her nor sharing a 26-bed capacity cell with 70 other women devastated her. With no clock in the cell, she and her cellmates made their own sun clock by using the sunbeams coming through the small windows of their cell. Only then could they figure out the time and start or break their fast in Ramadan. Still, she lovingly remembers the breakfast prepared by an elderly in the cell on the eid morning. The conditions were horrible, and the accusations were indeed offensive. Yet, it was the goodness of people around her that made her imprisonment unforgettable.

Back to list of interviews

English Translation:

I don’t really know how to start. First the coup happened. It was a very difficult day – I won’t even go into that. After that, they started to suspend or dismiss government employees. One day I was suspended as well and then… and then I began to wait. We would hear that anyone that was suspended was getting detained or arrested. Also, we were hearing from the media that they would start judicial processes against the people who were suspended or dismissed. I was waiting. The waiting period was extremely difficult, day in, day out. You got worried every time you hear the elevator sound. Every time you were out, you would think “Will it happen now?” You were not actually guilty – you knew it- .Maybe, no one was. But you can only be sure of yourself in such a situation. The thing you were accused of was very grave. You knew that you were no traitor, but the witch hunt was already out there and you were waiting every day. 

Is it today or tomorrow? Every time you hug your kids, you wonder if it’s the last time. A few months after going like this, I was dismissed from my position. Then the possibility of getting arrested increased even more. Not long, two months later, there was a knock on the door. I had guests over. My sister and her family were visiting us overnight. You were already waiting for it every day, wondering with every knock if it’s the time. I opened the door that day, and yes, it was them. I woke my husband up. Our guests woke up, too. They told me that they were going to get my testimony. I was relaxed a bit when they asked only for a testimony. Maybe they would only take my testimony, and release me.

I was getting ready to go with them while they were searching the house. According to what I heard later, they did not conduct a very serious, thorough search in our house because they were probably very tired. Earlier on, these searches were very serious, and meticulous. I asked then: “How should I get ready? Will I stay long?” They said they were not sure, but told me to be prepared. I packed a few things. There wasn’t a lot of time. The kids were asleep, as it was six in the morning. (Crying) I kissed the kids in their sleep. They told me not to wake them up. They knew that the kids would create trouble if they were up. I have two kids; one is ten now, the other is five.

Then I went with them. The official proceedings were carried out. Actually, there was so much to tell that I don’t know where to start. As we were leaving the house, the police officer showed me the paper he was holding. “Do you know what you are being accused of?” he asked. “No,” I said, “I don’t know why you’re bringing me in.” He said that I was being accused of being a member of FETO (Gulenist Terror Organization: the name given to the Gulen movement by the Turkish government after the coup attempt.) I guess he just said it to serve notice. As I said, “Okay,” I saw the order to be taken into custody on the sheet of paper. Then, I realized that it was not going to be just a testimony. When I went to the police station, the first papers the police officer handed me read “PYD.” I objected there. (PYD is the Democratic Union Party which is a Syrian Kurdish Party, also declared a terrorist organization by the Turkish Government. Before the coup attempt, Gulen movement was called PDY (In Turkish: Paralel Devlet Yapilanmasi) meaning parallel state organization. The acronyms were mistyped in the documents given to her.

“Where is PYD coming from? I understand FETO, that’s why I was suspended from my job, but where is PYD coming from?” They had no idea what they were doing. They couldn’t even tell the difference between PYD and PDY. We were the ones who had to distinguish between all these made up terms. I told him: “Look, it says PYD here. There is no way I can be accused of this, where is it coming from?” We argued a little, he got angry, frustrated. We were being accused of something even the police officers didn’t know about. Whatever kind of organization it is, they didn’t even know its name. 

Anyway, I made him correct it. Then, I went into custody with my headscarf on. I took a light, thin head scarf with me and went to the jail. I thought I would walk in like that. There were two women inside without headscarves. In fact, their hair was fully down without pins or ties. When I saw them sitting like that I worried as to what kind of people they were locking me in with. One of them had a hood on. I was deeply surprised and anxious. When I went in and sat down in anxiety the woman with the hood on explained her dismissal record to me. She asked me if mine was the same and I confirmed. Turns out, they were all government employees, teachers and they were all there due to FETO accusation. You feel at ease when you hear this- because then, being accused of FETO activity means that person is indeed innocent. You would not expect any harm from her.

I relaxed a bit and sat down. It turns out that they made you take your headscarf off when you came in. They took mine away and my hair pins as well. We sat like that. I had taken my headscarf off for the first time since the February 28 military intervention (February 28 is the name given to the time that followed the military memorandum declared by the Turkish military on February 28, 1997. In the aftermath, religious schools were shut down and headscarf was banned in schools, universities and government offices. The memorandum is also known as a postmodern coup.). (Crying). I went through February 28 as an Imam-Hatip school student (Imam Hatip schools are public secondary Islamic schools). I lived through all those difficulties in that time. I went to college without my headscarf. We knew the people then were completely against it. Such a situation was not surprising at that time, but now…

Being forced to remove my headscarf in custody under a conservative government highly offended me. It was thought that there were steps being taken to make the public more conservative or to raise a more religious conservative generation; however, they forced us to remove our headscarves. That was quite offending. They didn’t even give us the pins on our headscarves in case we used them to hurt ourselves, or commit suicide. These were ridiculous policies. If we wanted to, we could easily find other ways to do that, like the sleeves of our jackets. However, everyone there was far from such things. I didn’t hear such policies in other cities, but it happened in my city.

There were people from other cities as well. There were these two friends. They came later and we stayed there for seven days. They took our testimonies on the second day but still kept us in for about seven days. Then we were sent to appear in court. Without properly listening, they immediately ordered our arrest. We were 23 people in custody, of the remaining 19 were men and 3 were women. When we appeared in court that day, they ordered all of us to be detained

Let me quote from a friend who was detained with us. There were lawyers among us. When she met with her lawyer, the lawyer said to her: “I was meeting with the judge. At the beginning of the first hearing, the judge called the prosecutor, and asked: ‘What should we do with the ones that are coming in today?’. After a very short conversation, the judge just said ‘Okay’ and hung up.” Then we were all detained that day. The prosecutor likely ordered for everyone to be detained. They disregarded all our pleas. There was someone set to be married the next day. After seeing them, we were grateful for our circumstances. The others assumed that they would let us go as we were women with children.

After they detained even us, they all lost hope. We were taken to a prison. What we went through on the way was very rough. We were handcuffed and taken away. After everything I have been through, I personally did not mind the handcuffing too much, but there were some who got very upset. To me, that was only a tangible representation of what we had been going through. We were transported from the courthouse to the prison in a vehicle. We passed by my house and I got very sentimental. They did not allow me to see my kids or my family earlier in the courthouse. 

We were able to have some civilized conversations with the police officers who were taking us. A riot squad was also sitting with us. Jokingly, I said we should stop by so I could see my kids. Another detainee said “we should drive by my house” and laughed. The officer in charge was a female officer. I said to her: “Think about your own kids, I haven’t seen mine in a week, I wish I could see them just once.” She was young, around 20. She said: “What’s a week? I haven’t seen my parents in 6-7 months.” I responded: “You are not in need of care, neither are your parents.” She replied: “If you are so thoughtful about your kids you shouldn’t have gotten yourself locked up.” Then I asked: “Why do you assume I’m guilty?” She answered: “Why would you be in here if you weren’t?” I said: “In case you haven’t noticed, we have been arrested but not convicted. You will not be the one to judge, the court will.” Then the officer silenced me.  

Our country was in the hands of 20-year-old police officers who did not know the difference between being under arrest and receiving a conviction. Police officers who lacked knowledge of the difference between PYD and PDY. It’s truly frustrating. We got to the prison. I had no expectations, I didn’t know much. I just knew that X prison was an old building, but I did not expect that bad. 

We went into the aged building. The required procedures and searches were done. They searched our clothes. We went inside. When the doors opened, it was as if the bunk beds and the furniture were trapping you. It was so crowded. There were 3 of us women there. I believe they were 54 people before and with us it went up to 57- the ward was intended for 26 people. Our ward was still one of the better ones. On the adjacent side or in other sections there were wards in much worse conditions. 

There was a hallway with a sink on one side. A kitchen area at the end connected to a bathroom through a separate hallway. There were two rooms- one was for sleeping, the other was for socializing. There were almost 70 people staying during the mass arrests at the beginning. They put intense pressure on the prison administration to host that many people. Think about it, there were 26 beds and 70 occupants. Fortunately, the early prisoners had them bring some bunk beds into the rooms.

The first to be arrested were judges and attorneys. They knew how things work there. God used their hands to prepare that area for those of us yet to come. If we had gone first, perhaps we would have not followed such a course, as we would not have known what to do. In other words, everything was in one room; beds on one side, kitchen on one side and the bathroom on the other- it was much more rough there. They were intended for about 14 people but about 20 stayed there. 

There were 3 wards for FETO. We were received very well when we arrived. The ones inside had a calmness to them, they said they were all there due to FETO. Hearing that puts you at ease. We also told the newcomers as they came: “Don’t worry, this entire place is FETO.” People were so relieved because there are so many types of people you could be confined with- thieves, murderers, drug addicts. We stayed with those kinds of people as well some nights. 

Going back to the types of people, there was a girl who was a drug addict that was brought in one night. She asked us what we were guilty of. She was young, around 20. She was in scraps and clearly living on the streets. One of my friends, kind of a joker, told her to not even ask because it was so serious. The girl insisted, saying she was really curious. She asked if we were there for murder. In an ironic way, we said it was even more serious than that, and she became scared. I said: “Do you know about FETO? Do you get to watch TV? We are here because of that.” She said she did know: “Every time I come here there are people in for FETO. They take up all the spaces to sleep. There are no doctors, attorneys, teachers left outside; they’re all here. Whenever we come in, there is no space to sleep.” We laughed- it was truly tragicomic. 

Even a drug addicted girl who lived on the streets was aware of this. Aware of what state the country was in, and who was being arrested. Like I said, we were well received in the ward. It was almost 11pm by the time we got there, but the other prisoners welcomed us, and prepared food and told us to go shower if we needed to. They really put us at ease. There was no space to sleep however, as the bunk beds were often pushed together. For example, 3 bunk beds were brought together for 4 people to sleep. They showed us to 2 bunk beds that were brought together for 3 people to sleep. I joined as the fourth. There was a little kid around 3 years old next to me- he was staying with his mother. I felt bad thinking about how close he was in age to my son and how similar their hair was.

He would occasionally wake up during the night and call out for his mother. I would take it for my own son’s voice sometimes. Each time it would make me think of him and wonder what he was doing that night. It was extremely difficult for the children staying there. The boy I just talked about, both of his parents were arrested, he stayed with his grandmother for months. He had forgotten how to speak. When I came into the ward, he had been staying with his mother for a few months. He started speaking again, and opened up quite a bit. His mother said he had regained most of his vocabulary. Stuff like this has still continued to happen every day. While some are being released, some others are prosecuted. 

I don’t know what to say. There were so many people. Each and every one of these life stories were quite heartbreaking. There was another kid. He was very energetic, and troubled his mother a lot. He arrived about a month after us. His mother was very agitated, having nervous breakdowns every once in a while. We were so upset by her situation. I don’t know what to say right now, there are too many things to tell. I’m trying to pull my thoughts together.

We got into the prison in September. It had been about 8 months. When we got in, there were people who had been staying there for 8 months, some for 7, some for 5-6 months. Most of them did not even have indictments. People were stuck there for months, only a few appeared in court. Release without trial was very rare. Then, slowly, the trials began. They started around May. Almost everyone who was arrested because of their Bank Asya accounts (one of the banks that was later shut down by the government due to alleged ties with Gulen movement) were released during those trials. After 9-10 months of imprisonment, they were not even properly listened to in court. The trials moved rapidly. They said the judges did not even properly hear their defense. We wondered if the whole process was slowly coming undone. The first arrests were made to those who had accounts in Bank Asya. People who had money in Bank Asya were treated as felons. They were immediately suspended and immediately arrested. If you had money in Bank Asya you would certainly be arrested. 

That’s what people thought. However, 8-9 months later, they were released without even a proper trial. You could not figure out if it was actual court or just a theater performance. What put us at ease was believing our time would come. Even though it looked grave for the moment, that day would come for each of us. One day all these serious allegations would become void. Meanwhile, we went through a lot of struggles in that old prison, let me mention some of those. Until June, we stayed in this old prison, and then we were moved to a new facility. The conditions in this old prison were extremely poor. Some people had stayed in this prison for almost a year. 70 people were trying to fit in a space intended for 26 people. At times there were 63 women and 7 children staying. There were always at least 60 of us. There was basically no air flow. Think of tiny windows, as small as bathroom windows, and very high ceilings. 

On the side of one wall there were 5-6 windows- they were like bathroom windows. Only some sunlight would come through those windows. Normally they had glass, at least three of them. There was a ceiling fan for ventilation but we were just too many people in one room. It was impossible for us to get any air. There was also an air conditioner which was installed after laboriously putting together letters and petitions. It wasn’t enough, though. Even in the winter the AC had to be on cold, imagine what it was like during the summer. In fact, during the summer, around May or June, the AC broke down. It was dripping water but they did not bother fixing it, as we were being moved to a new facility. The AC dripped water constantly. There would be constant dripping in the area we used for praying. We would put buckets there and remove them during the prayer. It was literally like Survivor.

There was also a serious cockroach infestation. It’s something impossible to describe to an outsider. They were basically flowing in from the walls, especially in the bathroom area. There were so many. They were everywhere. It was very disgusting, but there was nothing we could do. So I tried to get used to it. I don’t think I ever got used to it though. I just learned to live with it. Before, when I was at home, I would scream even if I saw just one. I don’t think I would react that way anymore. I thought of those conditions as a personal test. Many others thought the same way. Maybe, everyone was being tried by their own weaknesses. Everyone thought they were being put to a spiritual training through these conditions. 

They were on the counters, inside the beds. We spent Ramadan there also. When we got bread, they would bring it early and we would put it in a bag. We had to tie it up tightly and carefully preserve it. We would wrap it up in cloth to keep away from the bugs. One time, one of the bags got a hole in it. I picked it up and when I did it was full of bugs. There were too many. It was so disgusting, maybe it’s unpleasant to hear these but we lived that way for months. We seriously tried to cover all the food. Whenever someone got food, we covered it up right away. Even if there was a very small hole on the food tins, they could get in them because they were constantly on or around them.

Showering was also very difficult. There was a bathroom stove to heat the water. It heated up with wood. That’s how we got warm water- there weren’t even solar panels for hot water. This meant we could only shower on the days we received wood. Sometimes there wasn’t any, so we wouldn’t get any. On those days, only the ones that had to take ghusl (a religious cleaning ritual) showered. Some days we had wood – when there was wood we could shower only twice a week. However, in that crowd, in May- which wasn’t even peak summer- you felt the need to shower every single day. Despite that, we could only shower twice a week. There was no wood. The ones that really felt the need to shower did so with cold water. 

There was a waiting line to shower, to use the bathroom, to receive food, to pray. Sometimes, especially when the evening prayer time was shorter, the praying area would not be free from prayer until 5 or 10 minutes before the call-to-prayer for night prayer. It would take until the next call-to-prayer time for all of us to finish praying. 

One day completely unrelated people came in. None of them were actually related to FETO (Gulen Movement), not even close. We were especially upset for them. None of us deserved to be there of course. We were not terrorists, we were not traitors. However some of us had sent our kids to schools, some had worked in prep schools, some had stayed in the dorms some had been the admin of the dorms (associated with the Gulen movement). These were the type of people there (in the ward). The ones who just came had nothing to do with any of it and had been brought in due to ByLock (An encrypted messaging app. The Turkish government claimed that it was used to organize the coup attempt.). You look around, you are surrounded by people most of whom you would think no harm could come from, even if they were associated with FETO- but they were still there. They all went through different struggles. Their families all went through different problems. One person in the prison means at least 10 – 20 people being affected outside. When one person that’s been awaited with teary eyes is locked in, the entire family was psychologically affected. They were under financial and emotional strain, too.

Some of the couples were both locked in, and their kids were without their parents outside. When we saw those couples, we realized how lucky we were to have our husbands out with our kids. We thanked God for our circumstances when we saw theirs. There were those whose situation is much worse than ours. We didn’t even talk about our husbands around those that were locked in as couples in fear of hurting or upsetting them. Of course, just because they were out didn’t mean they were safe- you constantly worried about them. You would worry if he would be free and make it to the next open visit to see you. It would be so much worse if they were also brought in. Being away from your kids is very hard on you at first. I had dreams about them every night. 

In most of my dreams, I was at home for a few hours. I had taken the kids out somewhere for a while but I would have to go back. These were the kind of dreams I had. Even your dreams are limited. We learned to forget, we learned to put our trust in God because we had no control over anything. It was all up to God. There was an older woman. She kept saying “God put us here. God will get us out.” Once you reach that level of trust in God, you don’t feel the pain anymore. You don’t have any expectations after that point, you just feel upset about what’s going on. When you forget about your own pain. You feel upset over the pain of others. 

We were moved to the new facility shortly before Eid. In that new place, so many people came in and went out. Many people were released, but also new people were brought in. The releases were quite frequent, once in every week on the average. So, it would be our ward that would receive the new inmates. Seeing the newcomers broke my heart. We were overjoyed for the ones that left, more than we would be for ourselves. Seriously, when I was released, I did not feel the joy I felt for the others. It’s impossible to be happy when you remember the people left behind, but when someone is released, you feel so happy that one more person is saved. When you experience both extreme happiness and sadness about everything- every news from TV such as new clothing for inmates charged for terror, every opinion, any news about the kids- makes you upset. I became unable to handle it; that’s why I started having panic attacks. 

I was released after a while. They announced a list of 10-20 people. Every name on that list was released; they were suddenly acquitted. We hear about them nowadays. Even though they were acquitted, no one would be able to make up for the months they spent in there. There was a 62-year-old woman; she stayed there for 3-4 months. There was a young girl in her 20s. Her mother was Arab but she was arrested on FETO accusations which she had not the slightest clue about. 

She was arrested because she had ByLock. These were the people completely unrelated with FETO. All of them were released. We were so happy about them. On the other hand, we were not actually guilty either. We kept hoping for the day we would be acquitted. 

Let me talk a little about the physical conditions of the new facility. We thought things would be better in the new one, but it was like a construction site. It had been cleaned but only scantily. It was still filthy. There was cement residue, dried paint, and sand. We washed the sleeping quarters for days. We struggled a lot with the sand, which didn’t go away. We couldn’t drink the water in the new facility, as it was not in drinkable condition. So, we used the water we got from the canteen. There was no water even for cleaning. In the beginning, for about a week, they didn’t give us any cleaning supplies- no mop, no bleach, no nothing. We didn’t even have a bucket for cleaning ourselves in the bathroom. We cut open plastic water bottles and used those.

We suffered even more in the new place. There were no clocks. Also, we had moved during Ramadan. We already had no way to see the sun, so we couldn’t properly tell the times for iftar or sahoor (Fasting times in the day). The windows were a little bigger in the new place. In the old place we could get out of our cells to the common area twice a day: in the morning from 9am to 12 am and again from 3.30pm to 6.30 pm. In this new place, we could go to the common area between 7am and 7pm, but like I said we had no idea when iftar or sahoor were. We had no clocks, no calendars. We got used to telling time from the shadows the sun created in the outside area. We started to draw lines there. We made marks: you know, it means it’s around 12 pm at this mark, around 3 pm at this one. We guessed the approximate time based on the point of the sun on the wall. We lived like that for a week. We were asking the officers around. 

We spent two Eids there: Ramadan and Eid-al-adha. It was very hard to be away from my family on these holidays. We all tried to suppress our misery to avoid upsetting the others. One person crying, looking upset there affected everyone else. We knew this, so we all tried to seem cheerful. There was a woman in her 50s, God bless her, she acted like a mother to us. On the morning of the Eid, she woke up early and prepared breakfast, moved the tables to the garden- by that I mean the common area. She prepared breakfast and woke us up. In the prison, the conditions were very difficult. The accusations were very offensive. The only thing that made it better were the people. I met some very good, excellent people. There’s probably so much more to tell…

Q & A:

Q: We’re running out of time for you. If you want let’s take a break for now and meet again. By then you can straighten out what you haven’t told and what you want to tell. May I ask a few questions about what you have told so far? How long did you stay in that cell intended for 26 people but used by 70?

A: I stayed there around 2.5 months. 

Q: You said some kids had to stay with their grandmother, and forgot how to speak there. Then, after they got back together with their mother, they regained the ability. Why did this forgetting happen? Do you think the kid regressed in speaking outside due to the trauma of being away from their mother, or was it the consequence of being neglected?

A: I guess it’s both because they did not have their mother nor father when their language skills were starting to develop. It’s probably trauma-related but if the grandparents were more conscious and more caring then the trauma might have been overcome more easily without hindering language development- they had mentioned that the grandmother and grandfather lived in a small village where they were unable to attend the child a lot. 

Q: You also said there were some who had nervous breakdowns in there. Why and how did those happen?

A: It happened many times. One was the woman staying with her kid. The kid was just too grim, and troublesome. Everyone was psychologically drained- those that were arrested as a couple had an especially hard time. 

Q: Was it one person or multiple people?

A: Many people and many times. I know the reason was the kid for that mom. There was another woman who got there 20 days before me. She had a nervous breakdown after getting back from her first open visit. I felt really really bad.

Q: What do you mean by a nervous breakdown?

A: For some it was very intense crying, not like losing consciousness and fainting but crying very loudly and thrashing around. I’m talking about hysterical crying. Some others had psychological disturbances due to unresolved trauma. Some of them also used medication. It was happening their medication was late, or when they were emotional over the events going on- close to a court date. Sometimes, after a visit, or when they missed their kids very much, or when they saw a photo of them. They went into a hysterics close to losing consciousness. 

Q: When you were first placed in custody, what was the reaction of the household and your spouse?

A: We were all anxious. My husband anticipated it, but it’s still very difficult to live through no matter how prepared you are. We all became very worried. A great unknown was upon us. We reacted calmly though and the officers came. In the end it wasn’t something that the officers decided themselves so we tried to comply as much as possible. Everyone was terribly upset of course, since we didn’t deserve such a thing. We were also worried about whether there would be a conviction or not. We tried to hide it from the kids. 

There was a closed visit for half an hour every week and an open visit every two months. Most prisons have open visits every month but this one, even though it was a women’s prison, had it only every two months. The open visits were an hour. We could meet with the visitors face to face around a table during the open visits. The closed visit was through a glass by phone. We also had the right to a phone call every two weeks. In the bylaws, it was stated that the open visits were to be between 30 minutes and 1 hour. In the new place they were around 45 minutes, they didn’t allow 1 hour. It was the full hour in the old place. We argued with the admin over why it was only 45 minutes a few times. 

They gave us an extra visit for the first time during Eid. Other prisons gave extra visits during Eid, New Years, special holidays, 23rd of April and such. But we only got it only on Mother’s day and during one of the Eids. This was after we wrote petitions. They kept those short as well, though. This was completely up to the officers there- it was stated that the visits had to be between 30 minutes to an hour but it was the officers’ decision to cut it short. This was truly upsetting us. People had been waiting for 2 months, they had traveled long distances. There were many who had come from kilometers away, from different cities just for the half hour. It meant so much to get to hug our kids for an extra minute, the limitations really really hurt us. 

My daughter is 10 years old, she was 9 then. I had prepared her a little for this process. I had told her about what might happen. She was a perceptive kid anyway, she had mostly been following the events since the coup. She was aware the country was a mess but she didn’t expect it would have any impact on us. I naturally told her when I had been suspended. I had prepared her by saying the government would be questioning a lot of people to find the real traitors. I had anticipated I would be called to give a statement. That’s what everyone said – they said that everyone that was suspended would be called to give a statement and be kept in custody which is what happened. In the beginning we heard that in our city, people were taken into custody and kept there for anywhere from a day to a week. Once I heard this I decided to prepare my daughter. She was a smart kid. It was still difficult, but I told her that I would have to leave but I would come back. So, it wasn’t a huge shock. Her aunts were also home the day I was taken in and they sent her off to school. When sending her they just told her that I was out doing the shopping and stuff, then, when she came back, they pulled her aside and told her the full story. She says that she knew when her aunt said they needed to talk. She says she asked if mom was gone. Apparently she didn’t cry at all the first day, probably from the shock. Then she questioned if she wasn’t crying because she didn’t love her mom. Then, she cried over that. Since she didn’t know the concept of shock she cried in the following days. She was very mature during the whole process. She wrote letters to me saying she knew I was innocent and that I would come home. 

Turkish Transcription:

Back to list of interviews

Nasıl başlayacağımı cok ben de kestiremiyorum bu uzun bir süreç. Darbe oldu ilk başta zaten cok mesela zor bir gündü o kısma hiç girmeyeceğim bile. Ondan sonrasında sürekli memur atılmaya başlandı, aciga almalar, ihraçlar falan filan derken bir gün ben de açığa alındım. Ve ondan sonra beklemeye başladım. Çünkü açığa alınan herkesin tutuklandığını falan duyuyorduk. Zaman zaman gözaltı bir şekilde bu adli süreci de başlatacaklarını duyuyorduk medyadan. Bekliyordum. O bekleme süreci de ayrı bir zorluk, her gün, her gece. Bir asansörün sesi her geldiğinde bekliyorsunuz, her yola çıktığınızda acaba şimdi mi diyorsunuz, hiç bir suçunuz yok aslında bunu biliyorsunuz. Kimsenin hiçbir suçu yok belki ama, herkes kendinden emin olabilir ancak böyle bir durumda. Suçlandığınız şey çok ağır vatan haini olmadığınızı biliyorsunuz ama yine de öyle bir cadı avı var ki bekliyorsunuz her gün.

Bugün mü yarın mı? Çocuklara her sarılışınızda bu son sarılışım mı diyorsunuz. Böyle bir süreç yaşadıktan sonra aylar sonra, birkaç ay sonra ihraç oldum. Ondan sonra ihtimal daha da arttı. Çok geçmedi 2 ay kadar sonra bir sabah kapı çaldı. Evde misafirlerim de vardı. Ablamlar vardı. Zaten her gün bekliyorsunuz, her çalan kapıda acaba mı diyorsunuz ama o gun de kapıya gittim baktım evet gelmişlerdi. Eşimi uyandırdım. Misafirlerimiz ayaklandı falan. İfadeni alacağız dediler tabii ki. Ben ifadeni alacağız deyince biraz rahatladım. Acaba gerçekten sadece ifade alıp bırakacaklar mı diye.

Bir yandan hazırlanıyorum bir yandan evi arıyorlar. Ondan sonra onlar da çok yorulmuşlar galiba. Sonradan duyduğumuz kadarıyla çok ciddi detaylı bir arama yapmadılar bizde. İlk zamanlar çok ciddi aramalar yapılmış çok didiklenmiş. Bizde çok ciddi bir arama yapılmadı. Ama o sırada sordum işte “Nasıl hazırlanayım, çok kalır mıyım?”. Belli olmaz falan filan dedi, yine de tedbirli ol falan dedi. Birkaç eşya aldım. Çok vakit yoktu. Çocuklar uyuyordu, sabahın altısıydı. (Burada ağlıyor) çocukları uyurken öptüm uyandırma dediler. çüNkü uyanırlarsa zorluk çıkaracaklarını onlar da biliyorlardı. İki tane çocuğum var bu arada, biri şu anda 10 yaşında, biri de 5 yaşında. 

Sonra gittim. İste gerekli işlemler falan yapıldı. Aslında anlatacak o kadar çok şey var ki neresinden tutacağımı bilmiyorum. İlk işlemler sırasında, pardon evden çıkarken öncelikle polis memuru elindeki kağıdı gösterdi. Sen ne ile suçlandığını biliyor musun dedi. Hayır dedim. Neden dolayı aldığınızı bilmiyorum. İşte FETÖ suçlamasıyla alıyoruz falan dedi. Tebliğ etmiş olmak için yaptı sanırım bunu tamam dedim o sırada elindeki kağıtta gözaltı kararını gördüm. Anladım zaten artık. Gittiğim zaman da polis memurunun önce verdikleri kağıtlarda PYD yazıyordu, itiraz ettim orada, birazcık şey oldu.

Pyd nereden çıktı hadi FETÖ’yü biliyorum açığa alınırken FETÖ diye açığa alındık. Ama dedim PYD nereden çıktı, ama yaptıkları işin bile ne olduğunu bilmiyorlar onu diyeyim PYD ve PDY’nin farkını bilmiyorlar, uydurma olan bu şeyleri bile biz ayırt ettik, söyledim bakın burada PYD yazıyor benim bununla suçlanıyor olmamam lazım, nereden çıktı diye sordum. Birazcık orada tartıştık, kızdı, canı sıkıldı bilmedikleri bir şey yüzünden bir polis memurunun bile farkıni bilmedikleri bir şey yüzünden suçlanıyoruz. Nasıl bir örgüt ise nasıl bir yapılanmaysa artık. Adını bile bilmiyorlar.

Orada neyse tebliğ yaptı falan, ben düzelttirdim ondan sonra gozaltina, nezarete gittiğimizde ben başörtülü bir şekilde gittim. Yazmamı falan aldım. İçeriye doğru gittiğimde o şekilde gireceğime düşünüyordum. İçeride orada iki tane bayan vardı başları açık hatta saçları da açık toka falan yok. O şekilde otururken görünce acaba kimlerin arasına atıyorlar beni falan gibi düşündüm bir tanesi var kapşonlu böyle şaşırdım öyle bir tedirginlik yaşadım ondan sonra geldiğimde tedirgin bir şekilde oturunca kapşonlu olan bayan bana ihraç kaydını söyledi seninki de mi aynı dedi evet dedim meğerse aslında hepsi onların memurmuş öğretmenmiş ve hepsi de FETÖ’den gelmişler bunu duyunca bir defa rahatlıyorsunuz çünkü FETÖ’den gelmiş demek orada temiz insan demek  zarar gelmez insan demek.

Sonra rahatlayınca oturdum meğerse zaten içeriye girerken benim de başımdan başörtümü aldılar tokamı aldılar o şekilde bizi oturttular 28 Şubat’tan sonra ilk defa başımı açmıştım (ağlıyor) ben 28 Şubat’ı da yaşadım imam hatipli olarak o dönemde o sıkıntıları da yaşadım üniversitede okudum başımı açarak okudum o dönemdeki insanların baştan sona karşı olduklarını o dönemde de biliyorduk insanlar onların az çok ne yapacaklarını tahmin ediyorlardı ama şu anda. 

Dindar bir yönetim baştayken başımızı goz altinda açtırmaları çok ağrıma gitti. Toplumda dindar bir nesil olması toplumun dindarlaşması veya daha dindar bir nesil yetiştirmek için bazı adımların atıldığı yönündeydi ama içerde bize başımızı açtırdılar bu çok çok ağrıma gitti benim, tokamızı bile vermediler başörtüsüyle çünkü kendimize zarar verebilirmişiz intihar edebilirmişiz. Çok saçma uygulamalar, hırkalarımızın kollarıyla da çok rahat böyle bir şey yapmak istesek yapardık ki oraya gelenlerin hepsi bu tarz şeylerden uzak olduğunu biliyorlar başka illerde duymadım bu benim yaşadığım ilde oldu 

Sadece bu diğer illerde bu tarz bir şey duymadım farklı illerden gelen insanlar da vardı orada bu şekilde iki arkadaş daha sonra onlar da geldiler yani biz yedi gün kaldık ikinci gun ifademizi aldılar ifademizi aldıkları halde yedi gun kadar bizi orada tuttular. Arkasından mahkemeye çıkarıldık işte doğru dürüst dinlenmeden direkt tutuklama çıktı. Biz gözaltında zaten 23 kişiydik sonunda kalan 19’u erkekti üçü bayandı o gün mahkemeye çıkarıldığımızda hepimizi tutukladılar orada anlatan arkadaşlardan birinin ifadesi ile söyleyeyim bizimle birlikte oturanlardan biri avukatlar falan da vardı içimizde. ben avukatımın yanına gidip görüştüğümde avukatı demiş ki ben hakimle görüşürken hakim daha ilk mahkemenin başında savcıyı aradı ne yapalım bugün gelenleri diye sormuş. Artık oradan ne dediyse çok kısa bir cevap ondan sonra tamam deyip kapattı diyor. O gün hepimiz de tutuklandık tahminen savcının söylediği şey hepsini tutuklayın şeklinde. Kimsenin mazeretine falan bakılmadı. Ertesi gün nikahı olan birisi vardı; tutuklandı. Bir gün sonra düğünü vardı adamın. Hani onları görünce; kendi halimize şükrettik. Onlar bize bakıyorlardı, hani bayanlar bunlar, çocuklu insanlar; bırakırlar onları.

Bırakırlar herhalde diye ama biz tutuklanınca onların da artık ümidi kesildi ondan sonra ceza evine götüruldük. Yolda yaşadığımız şey çok ağır gelmişti kelepçelenip götüruldük zaten açıkçası bu kadar yaşadığımızdan sonra o kelepçe olayına bu kadar takılmadım. Cok üzülen arkadaşlar vardı. Her kelepçe takıldığında çok üzülen arkadaşlar vardı. Ama olayın sadece somut bir göstergesiydi yaşadıklarımız, zaten anbean etkiliyordu. Bir araçla bulunduğumuz adliyeden cezaevine sevk edildik.O sirada tam evin önünden geçtik. Evin önünden geçince ben çok duygulandım. Ondan önce de adliyede bizi çocuklarla falan, ailemle görüştürmediler zaten. 

Hani esprisine sadece biraz bizi götüren polis memuruyla en azından insani diyaloglar yapabiliyorduk. Yanımızda da çevik kuvvet oturuyordu ”Aslında çocukları görsem” falan diye espri yaptım oradan diğer arkadaş da “Aslında bizim evin önünden geçsek” falan dedi güldü. Başımızdaki komiser bayan hemen işte çocuklarınızı düşünüyorsanız, “bir haftadır çocuklarımı görmüyorum bir görseydim keşke”, falan dedim. Bayan genç 20 yaşlarında falan “bir hafta ne, 6 7 aydır annemi babamı görmüyorum” dedi. “Siz dedim bakıma muhtaç değilsiniz, anneniz babanız da değil”. ben öyle deyince “çocuklarınızı çok düşünüyorsanız, siz de girmeseydiniz” falan dedi. Ben de “suçlu olduğumuzu nereden çıkardınız? suçlu olduğumuzu mu söylüyorsunuz” dedim. “Suçlu olmasan burada ne işiniz var?” dedi. “Farkındaysanız biz şu anda sadece tutuklandık, hüküm almadık.” dedim. ”Buna siz karar vermeyeceksiniz, mahkeme karar verecek” dedim sonra komiser susturdu artık. 

Daha tutuklu ve hükümlünün farkını bile bilmeyen 20 yaşlarındaki polislere emanet edilmiş ülkemiz. PYD ve PDY’nin farkını bilmeyen polislerimize emanet edilmiş ülkemiz. Gerçekten acı bir noktada. Ondan sonra cezaevine gittik işte orada ilk. Çok bir beklentim yoktu çok da bilmiyordum ama bu kadarını da beklemiyordum, eski bir yer olduğunu biliyordum X cezaevi’nin, bu kadarını beklemiyorduk.

Girdik eski bir bina gerekli işlemler yapıldı aramalar yapıldı üst aramaları falan yapıldı, gittik. Kapı açıldığında böyle sanki ranzalar eşyalar üstümüze geliyor gibi o kadar kalabalık ki. 56. kişi olarak girdim sanırım. Biz 3 bayan olarak tutuklandık. 54 kişilermiş, 57 kişi olduk galiba ve 26 kişilik bir koğuş. Aslında yine bizim koğuşumuz daha iyiymiş. Yan tarafta diğer koğuşlar veya diğer kısımlarda başka koğuşlar varmış, daha kötü durumdalardı; bizimki daha iyiydi. 

Bir koridor bir kenarda tuvalet lavabosu var. Koridorun ucunda mutfak kısmı var. Ayri bir koridorla banyoya açılıyor ve iki tane oda;odaların biri normalde yatakhane biri sosyal alanmış. Ancak ilk baştaki yoğun tutuklamalarla 70 kişi falan kalmışlar ilk başta. O zaman aşırı baskı yapmışlar yönetime“Biz kalamıyoruz” diye. 26 tane yatak vardı, düşündüğümde 70’e yakın insan kalıyor, yerlere falan yataklar getirmişler bu şekilde. Diğer odaya da yataklar, ranzalar getirmişler. Ilk başta tutuklananlar hakimler avukatlar olunca biraz daha yol yöntem biliyorlarmış. Allah orayı da onların eliyle hazırlatmış, sonradan gelecek olan bizlere. Eğer onlar olmasaydı bizler gitmiş olsaydık biz böyle bir yöntem izleyemeyecektik. Belki ne yapacağımızı da bilemeyecektik. Diğer koğuşlarda ise tuvaleti banyosu hepsi tek odanın içinde bir tarafta yataklar var bir tarafta mutfak tezgahı bir tarafta da tuvalet banyo hepsi aynı odanın içinde oradaki kısımlar daha ağırdı. Onlar da 14 kişilik falan yerlerdi ama 20 kişi falan kalıyorlardı zaman zaman. Diğer koğuşlar da o şekildeydi. 3 tane FETÖ koğuşu vardı. Zaten ilk gittiğimizde arkadaşların karşılaması çok iyiydi, hani böyle bir rahatlattılar. Hepimiz FETÖ’yüz falan dediler. O rahatlatıyor zaten orada. Hani bunu duyan. Yeni gelenlere daha sonrasında biz de söyledik merak etmeyin buranın hepsi FETÖ deyince i̇nsanlar bir rahatlıyor. Çünkü hırsızı katili uyuşturucu kullanıcısı her tür insan oluyor gözaltında. Onlarla da kaldığınız oluyor bazı geceler, öyle insanlarla da kaldık

Hatta yine gözaltındakilere dönersem uyuşturucu bağımlısı bir kız gelmişti sizin suçunuz ne diye sordu bize böyle genç 20 yaşlarında falan bir kız ama üstü başı perişan belli sokakta kalıyor. Siz niye buradasınız abla dedi arkadaş da biraz muzip “hiç sorma bizimki çok ağır“falan dedi “ya gerçekten merak ettim abla” falan dedi “yoksa dedi Katil mi dedi cinayet mi dedi” yok dedi “Biz daha da ağır” falan deyince böyle İronik bir şekilde kız da bir korktu önce. Ne acaba falan diye ben de “sen FETÖ’yü biliyor musun” dedim “televizyon falan izliyor musun FETÖ’den geldik biz” dedim “ha tamam” dedi ‘biliyorum”. ”Zaten dedi ne zaman gelsem FETÖ’cüler burada” dedi “bize yatacak yer bırakmadılar” dedi “ülkede hakim doktor avukat öğretmen bırakmadılar, hepsini buraya aldılar. Biz ne zaman gelsek yatacak yer olmuyor bize” dedi kız ona da güldük yani gerçekten.

Uyuşturucu bağımlısı sokakta yaşayan bir kız bile bunun şahidi aslında. ülkenin ne hale geldiğinin şahidi gözaltına kimlerin girdiğinin. Cezaevinde dediğim gibi arkadaşların karşılamaları çok iyiydi, oturttular. Gece on biri falan bulmuştu bizim oraya girişimiz. Yemek falan hazırladılar. Hemen “banyo ihtiyacınız varsa banyo yapin” falan dediler çok sıcak bir karşılama idi. Rahatlattılar bizi ama yatacak yer yok, ranzalar birleştirilmiş tek tek değil. bazı ranzalar tekli bazi ranzalar da mümkün olduğu kadar birleştirilmiş. Mesela 3 ranza birleştirilmiş, 4 kişi yatıyor. 2 ranza birleştirilmiş, 3 kişi yatıyor falan öyle bir yatak gösterdiler bana da arkadaşlarıma da. 4. kişi olarak geçtim yatağa yanımda küçük bir çocuk vardı 3 yaşlarında. Annesi ile birlikte kalıyordu, benim oğlumun yaşına yakın olunca saçları falan da benzeyince kötü hissettim. 

Geceleri arada uyanıyordu “Anne” diyordu oğlumun sesi zannediyordum bazen. Ama her seferinde oğlumu hatırlıyordum o gece ne yapıyor acaba diye. Çocuklar da kalıyordu orada çok zorlanıyorlardi. Bu bahsettiğim çocuk mesela anne baba tutuklu, aylarca babaannenin yanında falan kalmış çocuk, konuşmayı unutmuştu. Geldikten sonra işte ben gittiğimde bir iki aydır kalıyordu. Orada annesinin yanına geldikten sonra bayağı açıldı. Diyordu annesi çok kelimeyi tekrar toparlamaya başladı. Hala da devam ediyor, hala da her gün bunlar yapılmaya devam ediliyor, maalesef bir yandan bırakılıyor bir yandan alınıyor 

Ne anlatacağımı bilemiyorum o kadar çok insan vardı ki her birinin ayrı hayat hikayesi her birinin ayrı yaşantısı cok uzuyordu bizi onlar. Bir tane daha çocuk vardı. Çok hareketliydi annesini çok zorluyordu. Daha sonradan gelmişti, bizden bir ay sonra falan gelmişti, çok zorluyordu. Annesi ara ara sinir krizleri geçiriyordu, çok üzülüyorduk onların o hallerine. Ne anlatacağımı su an bilemiyorum, aklıma çok şey geliyor ama toparlamaya çalışıyorum 

Gittiğimizde Eylül’ün başından beri yaklaşık 9 ay falan olmustu, 8 ay olmuştu pardon. 8 aydır kalanlar vardı, 7 aydır kalanlar vardı, 5-6 aydir. Ve bir çoğunun iddianamesi bile yoktu. Aylarca beklemiş insanlar orada mahkemeye çıkan tek tüktü. Mahkemesiz bırakılmalar çok azdı. sonra mahkemeler başladı yavaş yavaş Mayıs ayı gibi mahkemeler başladı Bank Asya’dan gelenlerin hemen hemen hepsini o mahkemelerde bıraktılar ve aylarca tutuklu kaldıktan sonra insanlar, 9 ay 10 ay kaldıktan sonra, çıktıkları mahkemelerde doğru dürüst dinlememişler bile çok hızlı bir şekilde gitti. Mahkeme en son doğru dürüst savunmamızı bile almadılar dediler. Süreç yavaş yavaş çözülüyor mu düşüncesi uyandı bizde Hani ilk başta ilk tutuklamalar Bank Asya’dan yapılmıştı ve Bank Asya’da parası olan çok ağır suçlu muamelesi görüyordu, direk ihrac edilmişlerdi ve direk tutuklanıyorlardi. Bank Asya’da paran varsa kesin tutuklanıyorsun. 

Bakış açısı vardi insanlarda ama. 9 ay sonra 8 ay sonra insanlar doğru dürüst savunma bile yapmadan tahliye edildiler. Bu da gerçekten gerçek bir mahkeme mi tiyatro mu onun ayrımına varamıyorsunuz Öyle olunca. hani orada bizi rahatlatan şey şuydu: Demek ki bütün isnadlar aynı şekilde bir gün gelecek çok da önemli olmayacak, yani bizim için çok ağır gibi görünse de. Bu arada biz eski cezaevinde çok sıkıntılar yaşadık, ondan bahsedeyim. Ortam şartları çok kötüydü. Bir gün, Haziran da yeni yere taşındık neredeyse bir yıl kadar o cezaevinde insanlar kalmışlar. Dediğim gibi küçük bir yer 26 kişilik yerde biz 70 kişi kaldığımız dönem oldu. 63 tane kadın, 7 tane çocuğun kaldığı dönem de oldu. Onun dışında da hep 60 küsürlerdeydik zaten hep. Bir defa havalandırma neredeyse yok gibi, küçücük tuvalet penceresi kadar pencereler düşünün ve çok yüksek tavanlar düşünün. 

Bir duvarın sadece kenarında 5-6 tane tuvalet penceresi gibi pencere sadece güneş ışığı geliyor oradan. Normalde o pencerelerde cam da var ya da 3 tanesinde. Pervane vardı havalandırmayı sağlayacak ama o kadar insan bir odada kalıyoruz. O kadar insanın hava alması mümkün değil oradan bir tane de klima vardı. Zar zor klima taktırmışlar dilekçe falan yazarak ama o sekilde. Ama klima yetmiyor; kışın bile klimayı soğukta çalıştırmışlar, düşünün yazın ne haldeydi ki. Yazın zaten haziran mayıs ayında falan klimamız bozuldu yerlere su akıyordu. Hiçbir çözüm falan da üretilmiyordu. Yeni yere taşınacaksınız yeni cezaevi yapılıyor diye. Yerlere su akıtıyordu. Klima sürekli böyle orada. Biz normalde namaz kılıyorduk namaz kıldığımız yerde sürekli sular damlıyordu. Kovalar falan koyuyorduk namaz sırasında kaldırıyorduk. Bayağı survivor gibi koşullarda. 

Çok ciddi anlamda hamam böceği vardı. Boyle hani ne kadar anlatsak da dışarıdaki insanların anlamadığı bir durum. Oyle tahmin ediyoruz. Cünkü duvarlardan falan resmen fışkırıyordu, banyo tarafından falan o kadar çok fazlaydı ki. Artık sağınız solunuz. Tiksiniyorsunuz ama yapacak hiçbirşey yok alışmaya çalışıyorsunuz. Ama sonuna kadar alıştığımı zannetmiyorum ben. Sadece onlarla yaşamayı öğrendim. Evde bir tane bile görsem çığlık atardım eskiden şimdi herhalde daha o kadar tepki vermem. Biraz o koşulları nefis terbiyesi olarak düşündüm. Birçok arkadaş da öyle düşünüyordu. Herkes zayıf noktası ne ise onunla imtihan oluyordu galiba. Orada herkes törpülenmeye geldiğini düşünüyordu orada. 

Tezgahın üstünde geziyorlardı, yatakların üstünde geziyorlardı. Ekmek falan aldığımızda. Ramazan’ı da orada geçirdik. Erken getiriyorlardı ekmegi, poşete koyuyorduk. İftara kadar çok iyi muhafaza etmek lazım iyice ağzını bağlayıp. Sofranın arasına falan sarıyorduk ki böcek girmesin diye. Bir keresinde bir kenarı delinmiş poşetin ve aldığımda içi doluydu. Yani o kadar çok fazlaydı ki. Bunları yani böyle çok iğrenç belki de anlatınca hoş olmuyor ama aylarca bu şekilde yaşadık. Yemeklerin ağzına ciddi örtmeye çalışıyorduk. Orada bir kişi yemek aldıktan sonra hemen ağzını kapatmaya çalışıyorduk. Küçücük bir delik bile olsa karavanaların ağzında oradan girecekler diye korkuyorduk. Cünkü etrafında geziyorlardı, üstünde geziyorlardı. 

Çok zordu banyo yapmak zaten. Banyo sobası ile, odun ile ısınıyordu o şekilde sıcak su temin ediyorduk güneş enerjisi bile yoktu. Bu da tabii odun geldiği günlerde banyo yapabiliyorduk. Bazen odun olmuyordu vermiyorlardı. O zaman sadece mecbur kalanlar gusül alması gerekenler falan alıyordu bazı günler oluyordu, olunca genellikle hani odun olduğu zamanlarda haftada iki kere ancak banyo yapma şansımız oluyordu. Ama o kalabalıkta o mayıs ayında bile ki hani çok yaz değil ama her gün banyo yapma ihtiyacı hissediyorduk. Ona rağmen haftada iki kere falan ancak yapabiliyorduk.  yok yani odun yok. Bunu daha çok ihtiyaç olarak hissedenler soğuk su ile banyo yapıyorlardı. 

Banyo sıra ile, tuvalet sıra ile, yemek almak sırayla, namaz kılmak sırayla. Oyle oluyordu ki bazen akşam namazının vakti de dar olunca yatsı ezanına 5 dakika 10 dakika kalana kadar hala orası boşalmıyor orada ve ancak ezana yetisiyordu hepimizin namazı.

Bir kere çok alakasız insanlarda geldi öyle diyeyim yani. Hiçbir FETÖ ile alakası olmayan kenarından kıyısından geçmemiş insanlar geldi. Onların haline de ayrıca üzülüyorduk. Hiçbirimiz orada kalmayı hak etmiyorduk elbette. Hiçbirimiz terörist değildik, vatan haini değildik ama kimisi çocuğunu okula göndermiş, kimisi dershanede çalışmış. Kimisi yurtta kalmış, kimisi yurtta müdürlük yapmış. Hani böyle i̇nsanların olduğu bir yer. Kimisinin hiç hiç alakası yok, bylock diye gelmişlerdi. Bakıyorsunuz yani bu her tarafı FETÖ olsa kime ne zararı olur dediğiniz insanlardı birçoğu. Ama oradalardı. Yaşadıkları sıkıntılar her birinin ayrı ailesinin çektiği sıkıntı ayrı. Bir kişi en az 10 kişi demek orada bir kişi en az 20 kişi, 30 kişi demek. Arkasında gözü yaşlı bekleyen bir kişi girince bütün ailenin psikolojisi etkileniyor. Mmaddi olarak zorlanıyorlar, manevi olarak zorlanıyorlar

Çocukları dışarıda insanların, çift tutuklu olanlarin haline bakıyorduk; daha çok halimize şükür ediyorduk. En azından tek tutuklandım, eşim var çocukların yanında falan diye düşünüyorduk bazılarımız. Onların halini görünce sükrediyorduk. Yani kendimizden daha kötü olanlar vardı. Cift tutuklu olanların yanında eşimizden bile bahsetmiyorduk. Hani üzülürler, incinirler diye. Ama tabii dışarıda da onlar güvende değillerdi, tabii onun tedirginliği de oluyordu sürekli. Acaba gelecek mi bu görüşe. Bu görüşe de gelebilecek mi, onu da alırlarsa çok daha beter. İlk başlarda çok zorluyor insanı çocuklardan ayrı kalmak, her gece rüyalarımda görüyordum. 

Genelde rüyalarımda bir saatliğine, iki saatliğine, genelde bir saatliğine eve gitmişim. Çocukları almışım bir yere gitmişim. Tekrar dönecekmişim hep böyle rüyalar görüyordum. Rüyalarımız bile kısıtlıydı. Kendi kendimize unutmayı öğrendik. Herhalde tevekkül etmeyi öğrendik çünkü hiçbir şeye müdahale edemiyorduk. Her şey Allah’in elinde. Bir tane teyze vardı, onun ifadesiyle “Bizi buraya Allah koydu, Allah çıkaracak” diyordu.  tevekkül ufkuna ulaşınca insanın canii acımıyor. Ondan sonra hiçbir şey beklemiyorsunuz, sadece üzülüyorsunuz olanlara. Ama kendi acınızı unutunca bu sefer etrafınızdakilerin acıları sizi üzüyor.

Yeni yere taşındığımızda bayram öncesi, orada yeni yerde çok insan geldi gitti. Bizim koğuşta sürekli tahliye oluyordu ve sürekli yeni gelen oluyordu dolayısıyla sık sık tahliye veriyorduk. Haftada-10 günde bir bazen ortalama olarak tahliye veriyorduk o yüzden bizim koğuşa hep yeni gelenleri getiriyorlardı. O insanların yeni gelenlerin haline çok üzülüyordum. Gidenlere kendimizden daha çok seviniyorduk. Açıkçası ben kendim tahliye olduğumda baskalarini tahliye ederken ki sevincimi yaşayamadım. Geride bıraktığımız insanları düşününce insan sevinemiyor zaten. Ama birilerinin gitmesi bir kişi daha kurtuldu diye o kadar çok seviniyorduk ki. Sonra aşırı sevinç ve aşırı üzüntü hallerini yaşayınca, her şeyde her bir haber’de bir gün televizyonda haberlerde şu olmuş bu olmuş şu olacak bu olacak, yok işte kıyafet gelecek her şey insanı üzüyor her görüş, çocukların her haberi üzüyor. Dolayısıyla panik atak başladı sonrasında bende artik bu halleri kaldıramayınca. 

Ben çıktıktan bir süre sonra bir on 20 kişilik liste yayınlandı ve hepsi o listede ismi olan herkes serbest bırakıldı aniden beraat ettiler. Hatta şimdilerde haberlerini alıyoruz beraat ettiler aylarca yattıklarını kimse ödeyemeyecek. 62 yaşında bir teyze vardı beraat etti şimdi ama aylarca kaldı orada, 3-4 ay kaldı. 20 küsür yaşlarında genç bir kız vardı annesi arap ama tutuklanmıştı FETÖ diye; FETÖ’nün F’sini bilmiyor.

Tutuklanmış bylock var diye çok alakasız insanlar vardı. Onların hepsi tahliye oldular, çok sevindik. Beraat ettiler çok sevindik; ama aslına bakarsanız biz de suçlu değildik zaten. İnşallah bizim de beraat ettiğimiz günleri göreceğiz diye ümit ediyoruz 

Yeni yerden bahsedeyim biraz da, fiziki şartlarından. Eski cezaevinden yeni cezaevine gidince biz daha düzenli bir şey bekliyorduk ama i̇nşaat bir yerin içine gittik. Bir de hani kaba temizliği yapılmış ama çok pis bırakılmış. Her yerde çimento artıkları falan kurumuş boyalar, kumlar. Yatakhanelerin olduğu kısımları yıkadık falan günlerce yıkadık yıkadık. O şekilde altından hala kumlar çıkıyordu bu sıkıntıları çok yaşadık. Yeni yerde sular içilmiyordu zaten içilecek vaziyette değildi. O yüzden kantinden aldığımız suları kullanıyorduk zaten öncesinde de onları kullanıyorduk içmek için ama temizlik için bile su yoktu. İlk başlarda temizlik malzemesi bir hafta kadar ne paspas ne çamaşır suyu hiçbir şey vermediler. Temizlik malzemesi bile yoktu. Hatta bir tuvalet maşrapamız bile yoktu. Yani su şişelerini kesip onları kullandık. Daha çok mağdur olduk yeni yere taşınınca. Mesela saat yoktu ve de ramazan ayında taşındık. İftar ne zaman sahur ne zaman güneş’i görme imkanımız zaten yok. Biraz daha pencereleri büyüktü yeni yerde eski taraftaki havalandırmaya mesela günde 2 kere çıkıyorduk sabah 9 öğlen 12 arası bir de 15.30 altı buçuk arası. Burada yeni tarafta sabah 7’den akşam 7’ye kadar havalandırma saatimiz vardı ama dediğim gibi iftarı sahuru bilemiyorduk. Saatimiz yoktu, takvimimiz yoktu elimizde. Güneşin havalandırma kısmında bıraktığı çizgilerden gölgelerden anlıyorduk artık zaten yaklaşık saat kaç olduğunu. Mesela oralara çizgi çizmeye başlamıştık. İşaret koyuyorduk ya da şuraya gelince yaklaşık 12 demek şuraya gelince 3 demek. Duvarda güneşin gittiği noktadan yaklaşık saati tahmin ediyorduk saat olmadan. Herhalde bir hafta falan yaşadık gelen giden memurlara soruyorduk saati

İki bayram geçirdik orada bir ramazan bir kurban bayramı geçirdim ailelerden uzak; çok zordu. Birbirimize bunu hissettirmemek için işte herkes bir şekilde bir şeyler bulmaya çalışıyo. Herkes içinde yaşadığı acıyı bastırmaya çalışıyor diğerlerinin moralini de bozmamak için. Orada bir kişinin ağlaması demek bir kişinin üzülmesi demek oradaki herkesin moralinin bozulması demek Bunu bildiğimiz için herkes neşeli olmaya çalışıyor. bayram sabahında bir tane 50 küsür yaşlarında bir tane ablamız vardı sağ olsun annelik yapardı bize. Orada kalkıp kahvaltı hazırlamış, bayramın sabahında. Güzelce masaları bahçeye çıkarmış. Işte bahçe dediğim havalandırmaya çıkarmış. Kahvaltı hazırlamış, bizi uyandırdı. Orada ortam çok zordu, şartlar çok zor, suçlamalar çok ağır. orayı tek güzelleştiren şey insanlardi. Güzel insanlar tanıdım çok çok güzel insanlar tanıdım anlatacak daha çok şey var belki ama.

Soru ve Cevap:

S: Senin için orada vakit daraldığı için istersen ara verelim sonra bir kez daha Görüşelim Hem o zaman anlatmadığın şeyleri anlatacağın şeyleri kafanda toparlarsın bu anlattıklarınla ilgili birkaç bir şey sorabilir miyim. 26 yatağın olduğu 70’e yakın kişi kaldığınız yerde ne kadar kaldın?

C: 2,5 ay falan kaldım ben orada

S: Bir de bazı çocukların babaannesi ile falan kalıp daha sonra annesinin yanına geldiğini dışarıda konuşmayı unuttuğunu ama annesinin yanında dilinin çözüldüğünü falan söyledin bu konuşmayı unutma olayı nedendi? sizce çocuk dışarıda anneden ayrı olduğu için mi  travmatik bir şekilde konuşmadan uzak düşmüştü yoksa yeterince ilgilenilmediği için mi konuşmayı unutmuştu?

C: Her ikisi de galiba çünkü hem anne hem baba yok tam dil gelişiminin başlangıcında. Muhtemelen travma kaynaklı ama belki ilgi yeterince olsa babaanne ve dedenin köyde olduğunu, çok ilgilenemeyen insanlar olduklarını falan söylemişlerdi. Muhtemelen daha çok ilgilenen daha bilinçli babaanne olsaydı, belki travmayı kolay atlattığı için dil gelişimi de sekteye uğramayacaktı muhtemelen.

S: peki içerde sinir krizi geçirenler olduğunu söylemiştin onlar neden oldu ve nasıl olmuştu?

C: yani o çok defa olduğu için çocukla birlikte kalmak çok ağır geliyordu, zorlayan çocuktu. Herkesin psikolojisi o kadar kötü bir hale gelmişti ki çift tutuklu olanlar özellikle çok zorlanıyorlardı.

S: bir kişi mi vardı yoksa birkaç kişi mi?

C: çok kişi çok defa. Mesela çocuğun annesinin gecirdiğini biliyorum. Yanımda yatan baska bir arkadaş mesela ilk kez benden 20 gün önce falan gelmiş, ilk defa açık görüşten gelince mesela o geçirdi; çok çok üzülmüştüm böyle.

S: peki sinir krizinden kastettiğin nedir?

C: Kimisi çok aşırı ağlamak kendini kaybetme şeklinde. Bayılma değil ama yüksek sesle hani kendini atarak o şekilde ağlama. Kontrol dışı bir ağlamadan bahsediyorum. Kimisinin de yaşadığı travmaları atlatamamasından dolayı psikolojik rahatsızlıkları oluyordu. Bazı arkadaşların ilaç da kullanıyorlardı, ilaçları gecikince yaşadıkları şeylerden etkilendiklerinde kimi zaman mahkemesine yakın, kimi zaman görüş sonrası, kimi zaman çocuğunu çok özleyince, bir an bir fotoğrafını gördüğünde, genellikle bilinç kaybına yakın şekilde bu tarz krizler geçiriyorlardı insanlar.

S: peki ilk gözaltına alındığın zaman evdekilerin, eşinin tepkisi ne oldu o sırada?

C: Hepimiz tedirgindik. Eşim de zaten hani bekliyorsun ama beklediğini yaşamak ne kadar hazırlıklı olursan ol beklediğini yaşamak da çok ağır geldi. Hepimiz tedirgin olduk. Bir bilinmezlik bekliyordu bizi. Sakin bir şekilde karşıladık, geldiler memurlar da. Sonuçta onlar da kendi başlarına aldıkları bir karar değildi, yardımcı olmaya çalıştık elimizden geldiğince. Herkes çok üzgündü tabii böyle bir şeyi hak etmediğimiz için. Aynı zamanda korkuyorduk tutuklama olur mu olmaz mı öyle bir süreçti. Çocukları falan uyandırmamaya çalışıyorduk. Haftada bir kapalı görüş, yarım saatlik iki ayda bir de açık görüş vardı. Normalde bir çok başka cezaevinde ayda bir açık görüş yapılırken burası kadın cezaevi olmasına rağmen 2 ayda bir açık görüş yapılıyordu. Açık görüşlerde bir saatti. Normalde yüz yüze masanın etrafında görüşebiliyorduk açık görüşte. Kapalı görüşte arada camlar telefonla konuşmak suretiyle yapıyorduk. İki haftada bir de telefon hakkımız vardı. Yalnız yeni yere taşınınca bu açık görüşlerin normalde yönetmelikte 30 dakika ile 1 saat arası yapılabilir diye geçiyormuş insiyatif olarak 45 dakika falan yaptırıyorlardı bir saat yaptırmıyorlardı. Eski cezaevinde bir saatti. Hatta bir iki kez bunun için tartıştık yönetimle neden 45 dakika yaptırıyorsunuz falan diye. Hatta bayramda ekstra bir görüş vermişlerdi. Ilk defa birçok cezaevi bayramlarda yılbaşında özel günlerde 23 nisan’da falan ekstra görüş veriyorlarmış. Bize bir anneler günü’nde verdiler. O da dilekçe falan yazmıştık. Bir de bayramda ekstra görüş verdiler. Onu da kısa tuttular ilk görüşlerde kısa tutuyorlardı. Bu da tamamen oradaki memurların insiyatifi 30 dakika ile 1 saat arası görüş yaptırılır diyorlardı onlar kısıtlıyorlarda. Bu da çok üzüyordu bizi. Zaten 2 ay boyunca beklemiş insanlar uzak yollardan gelmiş, kilometrelerce uzaklardan, başka şehirlerden gelen birçok insan vardı. Yarım saat yani bizim için orada bir dakika bile çocuğumuza daha fazla sarılmak çok önemliyken bunun kısıtlanması çok zorumuza gidiyordu tabii.

—kızım 10 yaşında benim. O zaman 9 yaşındaydı. Bu sürece biraz hazırlamıştım, anlatmıştım böyle böyle şeyler olabilir. Zaten farkındalığı yüksek bir çocuk. Darbeden beri az çok olanları takip ediyordu. Ulkenin karıştığının farkındaydı. Ama bizi böyle bir şeyin etkilemesini beklemiyordu çocuk. Tabii ki ben anlattım, açığa alındıktan sonra böyle böyle açığa alındım. Devlet de bunu ayıklayana kadar gerçek hainleri bulana kadar herkesi, bir çoğunu sorgudan geçirecek diye ön hazırlık yapmıştım. İfade vereceğimi tahmin ederek, çünkü öyle söylüyorlardı açığa alınan herkes ifadesini verecek, gözaltı yaşayacak diyorlardı. Bu duyumlara binaen ki öyle de yapıyorlardı yani. İlk başlarda bulunduğumuz yerlerde insanların sürekli götürüldüğünü, gözaltına alındığını, kimisinin bir iki gün kimisinin bir hafta kaldığını duyuyorduk. Oyle duyunca kızımı hazırlamıştım öyle diyeyim. Gayet de bilinçli bir çocuk zaten. Çok zorlanmıştı ama gideceğim ama geri geleceğim falan diye anlatmıştım. O yüzden çok büyük bir şok yaşamadı. Zaten teyzeleri de evdeydi o gün, okula göndermişler. Ben gittikten sonra, okuldan gelince okula gönderirken işte annen çarşıya gitti falan demişler. Sonra okuldan gelince çekmişler, anlatmışlar. O kısımlar zaten diyor teyzemler gel seninle bir şey konuşacağız deyince anladım zaten anne diyor. Annem gitti mi dedim diyor. Muhtemelen şoktan ilk gün hiç ağlamamış sonra gelip gidip ben niye ağlamıyorum annemi sevmiyor muyum diye ağladım diyor. Sokkavramıni bilmediği için çocuk daha sonraki günlerde aglamış. Cok olgun yaşadı bu süreci hani biliyorum sen suçsuzsun geleceksin, ümidimizi hiç kaybetmiyoruz falan diye mektuplar yazıyordu bana.

Copyrighted to Undaunted Voices of Turkey