The University of California, Santa Barbara and Boston University invite applicants to be part of a special cohort of doctoral students in Special Education & School Psychology
Project TEAMS: Collaboration to Train Special Education and School Psychology Scholars to Advance Equity in the Study of Mental Health among Students
Purpose: The purpose of Project TEAMS is to co-prepare diverse PhD students in Special Education and School Psychology with deep inter-disciplinary knowledge of how to identify, support, and advance equity in student mental health and wellbeing in schools. Project TEAMS scholars will be prepared to be research leaders in the fields of Special Education and School Psychology.
Special Cohort: Doctoral scholars will be PhD students at either University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB – 3 in Special Education, 3 in School Psychology) or Boston University (BU – 3 in Special Education). In addition to the regular doctoral programs offered by these two universities, Project TEAMS scholars will be part of a special cohort of scholars with additional training opportunities across the two universities.
Project TEAMS scholars will develop expertise in:
- assessment and evidence-based intervention related to identifying youth mental health needs and supporting students with identified emotional and behavioral disorders (EBDs).
- complex ecological systems serving students with disabilities (SWDs), particularly culturally, linguistically, and racially diverse youth with disabilities.
- producing new research related to addressing the mental health needs of students.
- the interaction of school, family, and community mental health service systems engaged in supporting student mental health.
- preparing diverse general and special education teachers and school psychologists to collaborate on interdisciplinary teams for equity and inclusion of culturally, linguistically, and racially minoritized students with disabilities.
Project TEAMS Scholar Activities:
- Proseminars featuring leading scholars
- Collaborative research projects across UCSB and BU
- Biannual meetings between BU and UCSB
- Internships in organizations serving students with EBDs
- An in-person trip to each university to meet faculty and tour local schools
- An optional scholar-exchange program where scholars can apply to spend up to 3 months at the partner university and collaborate with faculty and peers
Project TEAMS Scholar Fellowship Funding:
- Fully paid tuition and all mandatory university fees (for the 4-year duration of Project TEAMS)
- Fully paid University health insurance
- A monthly stipend
- A new computer
- Financial support for additional travel, internship costs, and other Project TEAMS expenses.
Application Due Dates:
- UCSB School Psychology Ph.D. Program – 11/15/21
- UCSB Special Education Ph.D. Program – 12/1/21
- BU Special Education Ph.D. Program – Admission is rolling. For full consideration, please submit your application by April 15, 2022. Contact Dr. Jennifer Green at email@example.com for information about the program and how to apply.