Aline ~ AUB ’20

As an electrical engineering student I joined the workshop with the expectations that we were going to merely help the refugees in the structure of their tents, electric cables, water irrigation… However, I was greatly relieved that the workshop exceeded all my expectations. The class consisted of students with very diverse backgrounds, ranging from public policy to public health and engineers. On the first day I learned a lot on how the UN operates, and how they deal with the refugee crisis. I also learned a lot about my own country. In three weeks we accomplished so much. We researched the lives of the refugees, the problems they were facing, we looked for solutions and built a prototype. Looking back, I don’t regret a minute of it as it has given me knowledge and memories which would have been very hard to gain elsewhere!

Aline is pictured above demonstrating her team’s prototype during the final presentation. Team members Sofie (BU), Fidda (Professional, Lebanon), and Ashray (BU) can be seen behind her.

Aline is an  electrical engineering student at AUB. She participated in the July 2018 session.