In this course, learners will learn more about “what is public health”, add to what they already know about public health and medical systems, gain a better understanding about the importance of public health and how community health workers fit into the public health framework.
Register for the course here: http://www.nephtc.org/course/edit.php?id=40
What you’ll learn
After completing this training, you will be able to:
- Explain what is public health and why it is so important.
- Describe how public health has impacted life expectancy over the past century.
- Identify the types of public health challenges faced by vulnerable populations.
- Name the various parties and agencies involved in a public health infrastructure
- Provide an example of how data is used in public health policy
- Distinguish between health equity and health disparity
- Explain how the social determinants of health impact health equity
- List at least four priority topic areas of the Healthy People 2020 initiative
- Demonstrate how the public health pyramid can be used to develop a comprehensive intervention
- Discuss important considerations when developing a public health plan for your community.
Developed with Dawn Heffernan, RN, MS, CDE, Director of the Western Massachusetts Public Health Training Center, the essentials of the classroom training have been moved into an online format to allow more people to enjoy the concepts.