About Us

Muhammad Zaman, Ph.D – Program Director  

Dr. Zaman is a HHMI Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Boston University and overall Director of the Program. A major part of his work is focused on research and education in developing countries and he leads a program focused on developing appropriate technologies for the developing world. The aim of the HHMI funded program for global health technologies is to engage students in adopting a global perspective towards their education, and to help them gain a deep understanding of local social, economic, political and cultural factors that contribute to their solutions and technologies making a lasting impact in the field.

Katie ClifImage for Mama Afya websiteford, MPH – Program Coordinator

Katie Clifford is the coordinator for the Global Health Technologies program in the biomedical engineering department at Boston University. Here she provides logistical support, fosters partnerships with international universities, and helps with curriculum and project development. Katie uses her background in biology, graduate degree in public health, and experience as a Peace Corps volunteer to help faculty, staff and students create affordable and practical health technologies that can be used in resource limited settings. Katie is passionate about reproductive and maternal health, and has worked in Zambia and Haiti on projects in this field. She is excited for the opportunity to work on a project to improve maternal and child health care in Zanzibar, and has thoroughly enjoyed being part of such a knowledgeable and innovative team.

Ishrat Bano Ishrat Bano, Ph.D –  Program Advisor

Dr. Bano is a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Zaman Lab at Boston University with expertise in nanomedicine and nanotechnology. She hopes this program will help us to bridge the gap between developed and developing countries in health sector. Dr. Bano desires to work directly on designing, implementing, and managing health and development programs in resource poor communities and working to build global partnerships that will create positive change. 

Maya Saint Germain – Computer Engineering1433189705

When I heard about the Global Health Technologies program in Zanzibar, I was immediately captivated. As students, we don’t often get the opportunity to witness the positive impact our work can have on people. It is an amazing opportunity to be able to participate on a multidisciplinary team whose combined technical skills will improve the quality of healthcare in Zanzibar. I look forward to learning about the social and political aspects that go into the development of technology, expanding my knowledge of clinical engineering, and being exposed to a foreign culture.

1433189664

Sara Gravelyn – Biomedical Engineering

Working in Nicaragua with a public health organization opened my eyes to the effects an overburdened and underfunded health system can have on a disadvantaged population. It also fostered my passion for technologies that improve the lives of people living in resource poor areas. I am thrilled at the opportunity to learn from Dr. Zaman and his team as we work to improve maternal health in Zanzibar with the Global Health Technologies Program. I am eager to learn more about the device development process from conceptualization to implementation, and look forward to collaborating with the Zanzibari team on the project.

1433189653

Jared Lawson – Mechanical Engineering

When I first came to school in the Fall of 2014 I knew that I wanted to make medical devices, and I was intrigued by the work being done in Dr. Zaman’s lab.  Once I saw the opportunity to work with Dr. Zaman on health care in Zanzibar, I was eager to apply and get involved.  I am hoping to learn a lot about engineering design and the development of medical equipment.

10511542_10204431403439284_8117329900541733669_oSam Sharon – Biomedical Engineering

I’m Sam Sharon, and I’m a freshman at BU’s College of Engineering, majoring in biomedical engineering. In my free time, I like to play piano and guitar, run, and watch the Patriots. Most of my research experience is in medical device development, and I’m interested in global health technologies because it’s a pressing problem that no one has fully solved yet.

P1050995Napassorn Lerdsudwichai – Biomedical Engineering

After hearing about the Global Health Technologies Program in Fall 2015, I knew that I had to be apart of it.I wanted to make a difference and apply my engineering skills in solving problems and designing technologies that can greatly impact people’s lives. But just coming up with solutions is not enough. From this program, I have gained a global perspective to see that many social, economic, and cultural factors also play an important role in global health.This program has really expanded my point of view and made me feel even more passionate to help others in need.