How I can make an impact

By Abeba

[B]ecause our client has been truly interested and determined to make our project successful, it has helped me to get a clear idea of how I can make an impact.

I was excited to join the Social Impact MBA program because I appreciate the program’s aim to educate students about, “rigorous business skills in the service of positive social change”, as stated on the website. I knew the Social Impact program would help me become a socially responsible leader, one who is aware of opportunities and resources. This is important to me as I recognize that the world is becoming more and more connected as one community and what affects a small group will ultimately affect us all. I decided to apply for the Social Impact field course this year because I have always wanted to visit Brazil. My mother was in the Peace Corps over there and had told me many stories growing up. This was finally going to be my chance to experience everything I had been hearing about in her stories as well as practice the skills I had developed from the social impact course.

Over the past few months, my group has worked hard to use these tools to build a strong relationship with our client and to set attainable goals. We have made sure to involve the client every step of the way to ensure that the company is receiving the assistance they need. Having only worked in healthcare, I initially felt that I did not have much to contribute. However, because our client has been truly interested and determined to make our project successful, it has helped me to get a clear idea of how I can make an impact. Even though our trip has been canceled due to the coronavirus, the Brazil Social impact course has been a great learning experience for me.