Social Impact convert!

By Madeline

Seeing new cultures, particularly ones where there are growth opportunities, ignites an energy for change and hope in the world. Upon my return, I decided to register for the Social Impact program, knowing now this was a track that I needed in my future career. Truly a unique experience, this trip was one that I will treasure and a special part of my graduate education.

In my Uber to my Capetown hotel, I remember thinking about the stark contrast between this mountainous, ocean facing city and the urban landscape of Johannesburg that I had just come from. Being in this new environment immediately put me at ease, the ocean was the same one that was in Boston, and the working harbor was reminiscent of the Boston seaport. I felt that I had to keep reminding myself that I was, in fact, in Africa. The hiking, beach time, penguins, and sightseeing was all other worldly. This whirlwind version of Capetown, led by my trusty Uber driver for the weekend, swept me off my feet. Only to come planted back down by these intense reminders of South Africa’s past, poverty, and growth that is still to be done. Reminders like children begging for money and food outside of the braai we went to in one of the townships. Reminders like load shedding. Reminders like the roadside venders, happy to just sell a few ears of corn.

When going back through my pictures, one really stuck out to me. I snapped a picture of something that I thought in the moment would be memorable as a school in the middle of mountains. Upon further review, the billboard in the picture is far more memorable. It shows a drawing of eyes and says “don’t look away” and on the otherside “report hate”. This reminded me of the eyes of Dr. TJ Eckleburg, something I had to ask Google to assist with remembering the name of. This was a theme from The Great Gatsby (throwback to 7th grade literature class). In Great Gatsby, there were a pair of eye glasses above the valley and seemed to be watching over everyone as the story unfolds. It symbolized God looking down and judging human society as a “moral wasteland”. Whether intentionally similar to F. Scott Fitzgerald’s work or not, I was grateful to catch this nod to that same symbol and a tragic history.

I also felt very fortunate to be able to get to know a few people while in South Africa and openly discuss issues going on in their country not specific to the city, but to the country. One of these was one of my sister’s friends from her time abroad there. He opened my eyes to the burgeoning start up industry in the city of Capetown, that he is currently working in. He brought me to areas that are being gentrified and reminded me of areas that I had seen in the United States. He was originally from Sandton in Johannesburg, but had come to Capetown for school. He loves Trevor Noah and he loves Johannesburg. He is proud to be from South Africa despite the deeply dark and recent history against his race. This is a theme that I noticed in both Capetown and Johannesburg. There didn’t seem to be harbored animosity or resentment, but hope for the future. I’m not sure if it’s certainty that where they are coming from was horrific enough that they must move forward, or momentum, but something is propelling South Africa onward. With this hope, also comes concern; the rampant corruption faced in the government recently, creates skepticism and worry in the mind of many South Africans.

Before I left for the trip, I was slightly apprehensive to go. My friend reassured me that “because you’re a Sagittarius, you might be nervous, but need this”. I came back a full astrology believer; she was right. Seeing new cultures, particularly ones where there are growth opportunities, ignites an energy for change and hope in the world. Upon my return, I decided to register for the Social Impact program, knowing now this was a track that I needed in my future career. Truly a unique experience, this trip was one that I will treasure and a special part of my graduate education.