BU’s Materials Science & Engineering Graduate Student Association seeks to build a stronger sense of community for materials researchers and students at BU through a variety of professional development and social events. We have combined the BU MRS and ASM chapters and remain connected to our parent organizations through conferences and events.
2022-2023 Membership Drive Info
In addition to hosting two annual conferences, MRS inspires and supports scientists and engineers from around the world through professional, advocacy, and outreach initiatives.
The Fall MRS meeting is held in Boston at the end of November/beginning of December. BU MSE students are encouraged to register by the early bird deadline and submit their badge and registration receipt for reimbursement using the Division Business and Travel Expense Report.
ASM events include the annual ASM Materials Experience, meetings, and panels. We are engaged with the Boston ASM chapter.
Founded in 1933, ASM International has now over 36,000 members with a broad range of expertise in Materials Science and Engineering. The BU Chapter materialized in 2011 to help students advance their knowledge and careers in the field.
Advancing careers and knowledge in materials science through networking and collaboration with leaders in the field
Increase Awareness of cutting-edge technology
Explore Industry Exposure
Help its Members to Achieve Advanced Careers
To join ASM please follow these steps:
By going through this process you become a “Material Advantage” student member, which includes membership to ASM International, The American Ceramic Society (ACerS), The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), and the Association for Iron and Steel Technology (AIST).
1. Log on to the Material Advantage program page, and select “New User”, then proceed by entering your information and following the steps to create your TMS account.
2. Once your TMS account is created, use the “Click Here” link to apply for membership. Select “Material Advantage Student”, then click next. Enter your education background then proceed to the payment screen. “Material Advantage Student” should be highlighted at a reduced rate. Click through until you can enter your credit card information, then submit the order.
3. If you are a MSE student, save the order confirmation (print screen or print to pdf) and submit it for reimbursement.
4. Send the following information to our Membership Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org:
Anticipated Graduation Date
Advisor (if applicable)
Member ID (it will be emailed to you from Material Advantage after payment is received.)
MSE GSA Board+, 2022-2023
- Emily Ghosh, Co-President
- Open Position, Co-President
- Open Position, Treasure
- Open Position, Secretary
- Haoxuan “Kyle” Yan, Peer Mentorship Program Director
- Open Position, Advocacy Chair
- Madison Morey, Treasurer, BU SAGE
- Jillian Rix, President, BU GWISE
Paul Gasper, Yanchen Lu, Jane Banner, Boshan Mo, Thomas Villalon, Scott Gillard, Ruofan Wang, Shizhao Su, Ryan Eriksen, Deniz Cetin, Yang Yu, Zenan Qi, Calvin Heiling, JP Xu, Debangshu Mukherjee, Nina Pang, Anny Hierro, Shreyas Tanksale, Nancy Li, Jackson Chang, André L. Botelho, Alfred Huang