So…What’s After Graduation?

As this semester’s editor of the BU Gastronomy blog and a graduate student in her last semester, working obsessively on her thesis, I’m not afraid to say it – this program is fantastic, but I’m a little afraid of my (currently non-existent) post-graduate plans. Right now I’m so ingrained in my thesis project, class readings and papers, and graduate assistant duties that it’s hard to see more than a week or two in the future – how am I supposed to find time to get a real career? And what if I’m not even sure what I want to do for a living? It’s both exciting and terrifying to feel like I can do whatever I want, and the possibilities for a career in the food world seem endless and often completely out of reach.

When I tell friends and acquaintances about our MLA program – and I know for a fact that I’m not alone in this – I tend to hear the same few questions: So, what is gastronomy exactly? And what are you going to do with this degree? These simple questions are somehow much more complicated than they seem to answer. Gastronomy can encompass so many things, and I have a number of varying interests within our field. Where to begin?

If you’re reading this and nodding emphatically, I can offer a glimmer of hope – Saturday, November 5th, the Gastronomy program will be holding an afternoon workshop designed to answer one major question that we all have to answer: what’s next? This question is a big one, but it doesn’t have to be as scary as it seems. We’ll tackle all your fears about the future with a panel of graduates and alumni, experts on developing resumes and e-portfolios, and some strong coffee and delicious cookies. Let us help you take those first steps towards your career, help you build some good connections, and be better prepared to begin the job hunt after graduation.

Wanna come? It’s completely free (even the snacks), and even though it’ll only take a few hours out of your Saturday, this workshop will really help you plan your future. RSVP through our Facebook event page, and feel free to email me with any questions.

What’s Next?: Life After MLA Gastronomy
Saturday, November 5th, 1-4:30
Room 117, 808 Commonwealth Avenue, Fuller Building