FYSOP 32: Introductions and A New Leaf

Hi! I’m Greta Bauer (she/her/hers), and I am the new Storytelling Program Manager for Boston University’s Community Service Center. Typically, blog posts are written by members of the Storytelling Committee who touch on important topics and events surrounding the CSC, but I wanted to do my own to kick off this new season.

It’s currently mid-June, and the CSC office is finally full again, albeit with masks. As program managers, including myself, adjust to a new environment and begin planning for the school year, FYSOP coordinators and program managers have dove headfirst into planning an experience to remember. After the COVID-19 pandemic forced the previous FYSOP to be online, the anticipation for FYSOP 32 is extremely high. With the estimate of having about 95% of FYSOP activities in person, first-years should be incredibly excited about being on campus and interacting with peers and community partners.

I had the privilege of sitting down with Andrew Kim and Jacob Nesson, two FYSOP coordinators, to talk about how this year has changed FYSOP for the better. Andrew is part of the Food Justice focus area, while Jacob is helping the Community Initiatives focus area. Here are their answers to some questions that show how this summer’s experience will be one for the books.

Going into FYSOP this year was kind of uncertain. How did you adjust and plan for both virtual and in person options, and as your time in the position went on, how did your expectations change?

Andrew: I saw this as a timeline of how the country was doing in regards to [COVID-19] guidelines and surroundings. I went into it thinking it would be all virtual, but as soon as the vaccine came out I became more hopeful. The PM’s and Orpheo (director of the CSC) really did try to set expectations in the beginning – “no promises” – but we are loosening up a little bit and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I can now adjust to more in person experiences with our community partners.

Jacob: When we started, they told us they only had a vague idea of what would happen and not knowing about my housing plans was stressful. As the summer has gone on, I’ve felt more hopeful, and right now it’s still a little up in the air but mainly in person. In person service is much more rewarding than Zoom service, and I think being able to go back in person will be great.

What are your expectations for FYSOP this year? How do you think that this FYSOP that you are executing and putting into action will differ from other FYSOPs you have participated in?

J: I’m still a little worried about how it’s going to go and I think it might be pretty chaotic leading up to FYSOP just because we are not 100% sure with COVID. But I think this will be better than my freshman year FYSOP because people are going to be so excited to be on campus and be back in person. Although there will be bumps along the way, I think we’re just all really excited to be a part of this.

A: The fact that there’s even a sliver of hope for in person activity can show first years the immense opportunities in this city. It’s so good to think about that because this pandemic has gone for a while.

Do you guys have any special community partners or speakers that you’re really excited about?

J: Without revealing too much, it’s been really fun because the last two weeks we’ve been in contact with community partners and going around the office. Everyone is really excited about the buzz in each focus area.

A: I think it’s really cool to see that there are local businesses and organizations that we can help but also places outside of the city we can volunteer at. It’s nice to step out of the city, this bubble, and see opportunities normal beyond our reach.

I’m so grateful that Andrew and Jacob took time out of their busy schedules to meet with me to discuss FYSOP. I’m looking forward to talking to other coordinators in the future!