Strike a Chord with ASB 2020!

by Lauren Joyner 

The Alternative Service Break program is getting ready for another round of service trips for this spring break. With 20 trips traveling to various communities around the US, students are able to participate in meaningful service while exploring a new place and creating lasting connections with fellow BU students. Whether you’re interested in the environment, youth and education, or any other area of social justice, the program has a focus area for you.

The theme of this year’s ASB is Strike a Chord. Program managers Nicole Sancilio and Tobi Dele-Oni say this theme came naturally to them because “music is such a big part of both our lives. Music can resonate heavily with people, and we hope the power it encapsulates can be translated into ASB. As we enter various communities, we hope what we learn strikes a chord within us, so we can carry that out into the various communities we are all a part of.”

The program has been a very impactful experience for a lot of students at Boston University. Hear from some of this year’s trip coordinators about why they love the program and what they are most excited about for ASB 2020.

Kelvia Trocard, SAR 2021, Coordinator for Nashville, TN

“I love ASB because I love helping the community and being able to learn from it while doing so. I am most excited about meeting the amazing volunteers that will be accompanying me and my co-coordinator on this trip and getting to know each and every one of them on a personal level.”

Braedyn Dorn, CAS 2022, Coordinator for Chicago, IL

“One of the reasons why I love ASB is because it allowed me to learn new ways to approach service. Last year, I had the opportunity to interact daily with members of the Mission district as a volunteer on the San Francisco trip. Learning about the area we were serving was really impactful during our week of service. I also found myself thinking back to what I learned in San Francisco during other services I’ve done since last ASB. This year, I’m looking forward to making new friendships and learning more about the blind and visually impaired community in Chicago.”

Srushti Dhoke, CAS 2022, Coordinator for Hobe Sound, FL

“Going on an ASB trip was quite literally one of the best decisions I have ever made. It is truly humbling to be a part of something so real. I met some extraordinary people in the community we volunteered at, and found lifelong friends in my fellow volunteers.”

Find a full list of the trips, prices, and focus areas here. Registration begins on December 8th at 8 a.m. on the CSC website. For any questions, you can email altbreak@bu.edu, call the CSC at 617-353-4710, or pop into office on the fourth floor of the GSU.