After-School Programs: A Pathway of Success for Youth

by Wendy Lui

afterschool

Adolescence is a tumultuous time. You’re grappling with who you are, thinking about who you want to be, and trying to figure out how to get there. There’s a lot of uncertainty to face. It’s a time of increasing pressure and responsibilities. Students are trying to meet rigorous academic expectations while preparing for standardized testing like the SATs.  

That’s why it’s essential for teens to have a safe, stable, and supportive environment. In this space, they can grow and learn at their own pace. Most importantly, they can be themselves. After-school programs provide a support system for teens to seek resources and confide in a mentor, or simply relax with peers. Evidence shows that not only do after-school programs close opportunity gaps in education, they increase student behavioral outcomes and help working parents balance work and family life.

In Boston, there are numerous after-school programs that serve teens and youth in every neighborhood. Each program is unique. Red Oak serves elementary and middle school students in Chinatown with arts and literacy initiatives. The Dorchester Youth Collaborative is a community-based program that operates as a safe environment for teens. Boston Centers for Youth and Families (BCYF) has a network of centers with sports programs and computer lab skills. Each program supports the specific needs of a diverse teen population.

Roughly 10,000 Boston Public School students participate in afterschool programs, which is accounted for by about $7 million in the school budget. In 2016, when the proposed Boston Public Schools budget raised alarm because of the potential impact of funding cuts, hundreds participated in protests and walkouts. Protesters sent a strong message, voicing their concerns about the future of their education.

Earlier this year, the conversation on afterschool programs reached the national level when Trump’s budget proposal included a $1.2 billion funding cut to afterschool and summer programs. While he claimed afterschool programs don’t improve student outcomes, studies show otherwise. Students gain invaluable opportunities to improve their skills and engage with the community.

Before I was old enough to walk home by myself, I was in an after-school program. I played games with my friends and did arts and crafts until my mom picked me up. I didn’t think anything of being in the program then, it just seemed normal. But as I look back on my time there, I’m grateful for the wonderful staff who took care of me and fostered an environment in which I could play, be silly, and grow personally.  

The Community Service Center connects students with opportunities to volunteer at different afterschool programs in the Boston area. Volunteers typically spend their time helping students with homework, assisting with college prep, and serving as a mentor. Learn more about the Afterschool program here.

Cool Resources to Check Out:

Understanding Boston

Opinion Piece on After-School Programs in the Boston Globe

Trump’s Education Budget Cuts

The Effects of After-School Programs