Applications for Summer 2020 will be due in early December 2019 – mid-February 2020 (the date will be announced in the future)
Application Deadline will be announced in mid-to-late November 2019
I am not a US citizen or Permanent Resident (green card holder) of the US. Can I apply for BU-PRO?
- No. Unfortunately, our funding sources allow us to offer fellowships only to US citizens and Permanent Residents.
I am a BU student. Can I apply for BU-PRO?
- Yes. If you are a BU student, please contact the physics DUS for more info.
I am not a member of an underrepresented minority group. Can I apply for BU-PRO?
- Yes. We welcome applications from all eligible undergraduate students interested in participating in the BU-PRO program.
How are BU-PRO participants chosen?
- Admission to the BU-PRO Program is based on a number of factors. We consider an applicant’s higher education and career goals, personal statement, research interests, academic record, and the availability of a suitable Boston University research mentor. All applications are evaluated by the program staff; top applications are then reviewed by the BU-PRO Director and potential faculty mentors.
How do I know who my faculty mentor will be?
- A list of professors who have agreed to participate as research mentors is available on this page. In the application, you will be asked to select three faculty members whose research interests are similar to yours. If you are awarded a Fellowship, you will be working in the lab of one of these three mentors. We make every effort to arrange the best possible placement.
What type of summer housing do you offer?
- BU-PRO participants are provided with Boston University housing in an apartment-style double room for the duration of the program. These apartments generally house two students, and have their own kitchens and bathrooms. Participants are not required to live in University housing for the summer, but we cannot provide a subsidy if you choose to live in non-BU housing. We do not have housing available for married students or any other couple arrangements.
Will I be on a meal plan?
- The BU-PRO Program does not provide a meal plan to students. Participants may elect to purchase a University or off-campus meal plan. Each apartment-style residence includes kitchen facilities, though students will have to supply their own pots, pans, and other kitchen supplies.
Should I bring a car?
- We do not recommend that you bring a car to Boston for the summer. The public transportation system is excellent. Moreover, parking permits are rather expensive (over $300 for the summer) and often do not guarantee you a spot.
How do I get answers to other questions?
- We will gladly respond to any questions about the program that are not addressed here. You can email us at email@example.com or call 617-353-2600 to speak with a staff member.