Field Hockey: Beesmer, Terriers capture fourth Patriot League title in five years

By: Greg Levinsky

No one in Boston University’s short Patriot League tenure other than Jordyn Beesmer has collected four conference field hockey titles. Sidelined with an injury as a freshman, she earned a medical redshirt and is in her fifth-year with the program this fall.

Her fifth-year will continue for at least one more game as the No. 24 Boston University field hockey team, seeded first in the Patriot League Tournament downed second-seeded American 2-1 on Sunday at New Balance Field. They advance with an automatic bid to the 2018 NCAA field hockey tournament.

“It’s just an incredible feeling to say that I have four Patriot League championships,” Beesmer said. “I think it all came together now, it means something now.

“I stayed here for a reason, and this is what made it worth it.”

Jordyn Beesmer has played a crucial part for BU. Photo by Greg Levinsky

Terriers head coach Sally Starr moved Beesmer from outside back to the inside, and the Terriers (12-7, 6-0 Patriot League) immediately improved on the defensive end. Starr said it helped eliminate transitional goals, solidify the middle of the field and aid in outlet passing.

“I don’t know why we didn’t do it earlier,” Starr said. “It was definetly the right decision.”

Beesmer assisted on a goal in the Terriers 2-1 victory over Lafayette to advance to the Patriot League title game. It was the sixth-straight appearance in the title game for the Terriers, and fourth time against American.

In 2013, BU fell 3-0. In 2015, the Terriers won 2-1. During Beesmer’s redshirt junior year in 2016, the Eagles downed the Terriers in the title game 1-0 in a heartbreaker.

With Sunday’s victory coming over American, it made Beesmer’s fourth title in five years even sweeter, avenging a previous loss.

“Since then, every time we play them we say it”s revenge,” Beesmer said. “It was awesome to be able to beat them again.”

Starr said getting Beesmer back for her fifth-year was a monumental addition for her team.

“Jordyn’s been huge for us, and putting her in the defensive slot is huge because otherwise we’d be very young,” Starr said. “Jordyn had a lot of really good step-ups and interceptions.”

Boston University senior Maika Akroyd scored the game’s first goal off a penalty corner attempt in the 17th minute. The Eagles (9-9, 4-2) tied it on a goal by senior Rafaela Rubas in the 24th minute.

Less than a minute after American tied it, Terriers sophomore Maggie New whacked a wicked shot past a diving goalkeeper. Her second goal of the year served as the conference-winning tally.

“I saw two girls coming onto me and I kind of just went for it and took the shot,” New said. “I don’t really score that much, so it was super exciting and I’m really glad I was able to get it in.”

Beesmer and 2018 Patriot League Tournament Most Valuable Player Ally Hammel spearheaded a strong defensive effort in front of goalkeeper Kathleen Keegan. The senior turned away two shots and disrupted many more.

“I can’t be happier for her,” Starr said. “She took the opportunity to be our every day goalie and seized it.”

The Terriers will revel in their conference title until finding out their fate for the 2018 NCAA Tournament on Sunday night. The 2018 iteration of Boston University field hockey is still going strong.

“It’s so nice to know this isn’t our last time playing together as a team,” Beesmer said. “It’s an awesome feeling.”

Greg Levinsky can be reached at glevinsk@bu.edu. Follow him on Twitter @GregLevinsky