Volume 9, Issue 4
October – December 2022
Check out the current issue of URBAN ARCH News, the quarterly newsletter bringing you news on the latest URBAN ARCH and related research.
Transitioning the TALC Study
In this edition of the URBAN ARCH Newsletter, we highlight the transition of the Tuberculosis, Alcohol, and Lung Comorbidities (TALC) study from its previous site in St. Petersburg, Russia to its new site in Mbarara, Uganda.
Click on the buttons below to see what the International URBAN ARCH Center Cores and Projects have been working on.
Spotlight on… Sarah Rossi and Sally Young
In this issue, we interview Sarah Rossi and Sally Young, Research Coordinator and Senior Research Manager, respectively, to hear about their experience working to transition the TALC study from Russia to Uganda.
Visiting Scholar Research-in-Progress Webinar with Dr. Amy Justice (March 1st, 2023, 12-1pm ET / 9-10am PT)
Dr. Amy Justice (Yale School of Medicine, VA Connecticut Healthcare) will discuss her team’s NIAAA-funded P01 HIV/Alcohol center, the HIV and Alcohol Research Center Focused on Polypharmacy (HARP). This P01 aims to design and implement effective personalized treatments for people aging with HIV who are harmed by unhealthy alcohol use and polypharmacy. Register here and join us on March 1st, 2023 from 12-1pm ET / 9-10am PT.
International URBAN ARCH Center Trainee Workshop – TB, Alcohol, and HIV: What We Know and Gaps to Fill (February 8th, 2023, 12-1pm ET /9-10am PT)
In this workshop, Dr. Karen Jacobson and team will present an informational TB overview, with a focus on TB, alcohol, and HIV. All are welcome to attend, including early stage investigators, established researchers, and study staff. Register here and join us on February 8th, 2023 from 12-1pm ET / 9-10am PT.
Save the Date: 2023 URBAN ARCH Annual Meeting
Mark your calendars! The 2023 URBAN ARCH Annual Meeting will be held on May 23rd, 2023, with trainee activities planned for May 22nd and 24th. Additional details will be announced soon. We look forward to seeing you in Boston!
Photo from the 2022 URBAN ARCH Annual Meeting.
New URBAN ARCH Publications
- Forman LS, Lodi S, Fatch R, Emenyonu NI, Adong J, Ngabirano C, Jacobson KR, Gerona R, Reckers AR, Gandhi M, Muyindike WR, Hahn JA. Agreement between measures of adherence to isoniazid preventive therapy among people with HIV in Uganda. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2022 Oct 1;9(10):ofac516. PMCID: PMC9605696.
- Miller AP, Fatch R, Lodi S, Marson K, Emenyonu N, Kekibiina A, Beesiga B, Chamie G, Muyindike WR, Hahn JA. Unhealthy alcohol use and intimate partner violence among men and women living with HIV in Uganda. BMC Public Health. 2022 Oct 10;22(1):1886. PMCID: PMC9552439.
Events and Conferences
- Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI): February 19-22, 2023; Seattle, Washington, USA. Late-Breaking Abstract Submission Deadline: January 5, 2023.
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD): June 17-21, 2023; Denver, CO, USA. Abstract Submission Deadline: December 30, 2022.
- Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA): June 24-28, 2023; Bellevue, WA, USA. Abstract Submission Deadline: January 9, 2023.
Click here for more events and conferences.