Stark contrasts

By Julie

The social impact field seminar was a powerful and humbling experience that brought to light the unique challenges facing South Africa. One thought I kept coming back to throughout the week was that South Africa was one of stark contrasts. On one hand, I was in awe of the extraordinary natural beauty of the savannah and magnificent African wildlife I witnessed on the safari as well as the stunning beauty of Table Mountain and the vast vineyards in Cape Town. On the other hand, I was often reminded of South Africa’s dark and deeply troubling past persisting from the apartheid era and the lack of progress still faced by much of the country in the neighborhoods surrounding Johannesburg.

Our visit to Soweto was emotional and eye-opening, to say the least. As we drove through Soweto and other impoverished townships, I observed firsthand the terrible living conditions these poor communities endure and the darkness they frequently face during the daily scheduled power outages known as load shedding. These images contrasted sharply with our experience of staying in the newer, wealthy neighborhood of Sandton filled with shopping malls and nice restaurants. Although we were told that we should be careful of crime and more aware of our surroundings, it was hard to imagine not feeling safe with the high walls and electric fencing encompassing the majority of the buildings and establishments.

While we were heading to the safari in Pilanesberg, I was given time to reflect on what I learned and observed from the previous day in Soweto.

It was essential that while on this field seminar we also absorbed the immense pain and suffering that South Africans experienced as part of the systemic racial discrimination so that we could put into perspective just how powerful change can be.

In reading the narratives of people who lived through apartheid and seeing photographs and videos while at the Apartheid Museum of the horrific brutality inflicted upon the many activists, I felt disturbed and mortified that such oppression existed not that long ago. The image of Hector Peterson’s lifeless body being carried through the streets by his brother is not one I will soon forget.

It’s important to acknowledge the country’s past in order to come to terms with the changes that must occur. The businesses we visited are working to address challenges South African people face, such as access to education and healthcare, electricity, and social inclusion.

It was enlightening and impactful to hear the discussions of the context in which these challenges take place so that we can have a better appreciation for the growth and improvements taking place.

While there is much progress to be made, I was impressed with the work that is currently being done to create sustainable opportunities in these areas. I am hopeful that these organizations will to continue to make meaningful developments to support these underserved communities and bring equality to all of South Africa.