Affecting societal change on a national scale by showing leadership

By Julie

I found it truly inspiring to learn about how one woman’s relentless passion and commitment against the racist regime ultimately helped affect societal change on a national scale.

With the trip to South Africa fast approaching, I am both excited and anxious for what lies ahead. One of the reasons I chose to take this course was to explore a different culture on a deeper level and to broaden my world views. During my undergrad, I took a business in Italy class where we learned about globalization and international businesses, specifically focusing on the Italian wine industry. It was such a rewarding experience that allowed me to gain an even greater appreciation for the rich history and vibrant culture of Italy. When I applied to this MBA program, I was interested in having another opportunity to take an international business course to further expand my global perspective and immerse myself in a new culture. I was excited to hear that this year’s social impact field seminar would be in South Africa, a country I have been wanting to visit for a while.

In preparation for this trip, I have been learning more about South Africa’s history and culture while reflecting on how far the country has come. I recently watched a documentary about Winnie Mandela and her activist role in bringing an end to apartheid. It was interesting to hear her personal account of the struggles she experienced and how she advocated for justice and equality during a time with so little hope. Despite being considered a controversial political figure, I found it truly inspiring to learn about how one woman’s relentless passion and commitment against the racist regime ultimately helped affect societal change on a national scale.

As I reflect on the business visits planned in Johannesburg, I am most looking forward to visiting the Apartheid Museum and learning how this significant part of South Africa’s history has shaped its present day challenges to growth and sustainability. I am sure it will be an emotional and unforgettable experience that will help me gain insights into how the systematic racial segregation that plagued South Africa has impacted its current political, social, and economic situation.

In my current role, I work on advisory projects to improve various financial and operational processes within a large research university. As I learn more about the education system in South Africa and its current challenges to improve the quality of education, I am finding that their push to promote collaboration and resource sharing among educators is rooted in similar efforts undertaken in the US. It will be interesting to make further connections to the US as well as explore South Africa’s unique challenges during the site visits in Johannesburg. Additionally, I am eager to apply my advisory experience and what I have learned in my social impact program to add value to a consulting project in an international context.